Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on new (& First) build?

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 2:33:46 PM

Hi guys, :hello: 

I've been reading a fair bit on these forums as well as other sources while trying to compile a final list for my new build. I have assisted with other people's rigs in the past, so I'm familiar with the process, but I am having trouble deciding on a few bits and pieces, and you lovely ladies and gentlemen seem to like helping out!

Please note that the overall goal of this build is a powerful gaming rig, which runs quietly and has the capability to do bits and pieces of design work.

So here is my shopping list so far;

Case; Cooler Master HAF-X
Motherboard; ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU; Intel Core i7-3820
Heatsink; Noctua NH-D14 for LGA2011
GPU; ASUS GTX-670 or <brand> Radeon 7970
HDD; WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD; OCZ Vertex IV 256GB or Corsair equivalent.
RAM; G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit Quad Chanel @ 1600Mhz
PSU; 850W(ish) Cooler Master or Corsair or... You know... Whatever.
+ Whatever Optical Drive and Wireless Card I fancy.

We are in the realms of $2400-$2500 at the moment, which is fine. I was surprised at the low cost until I realized I didn't have a GPU in there. :lol: 

So here are my points of contention;

GPU;
I don't really buy into the whole nVidia vs. ATI debate, as from what I gather, it's almost pure opinion. To me what matters is the performance.

I have read that the Radeon 7970 is the better performer, at the cost of being more power hungry than the nVidia competitor. While this would be fine for the current build, should I wish to get a second one later on (which I almost feel duty-bound to do with the MoBo and Case, even though logic tells me it's entirely unnecessary), I would also need to upgrade the PSU. As I also mentioned earlier, running quietly is my second priority, and I'm unsure which of the two is the better performer in this area.

RAM;
While I am fairly happy with the brand and size of this kit, I am a bit lost on the 1600Mhz vs. faster memory front.

Going up to, for example 2400Mhz comes at a premium, and I'm told that the performance of the two is very similar due to the timing becoming looser at higher clock speeds (therefore what you gain in speed, you pretty much lose out on in latency). Does anyone have any insight into the difference in performance?

HDD/SSD/Power Supply;
Just looking for a bit of insight into brands here as I've been told WD/OCZ/Cooler Master can be somewhat unreliable. If anyone has used these brands, or any others with great success, I would love to hear about it.

I fully intend to be overclocking my GPU and CPU, as I've heard that the 3820 can push 5Ghz, which totally tickles my pickle.

Thanks for reading guys, I look forward to hearing from you shortly. :love: 

More about : advice build

August 25, 2012 3:40:12 PM

Rayted said:
Hi guys, :hello: 

I've been reading a fair bit on these forums as well as other sources while trying to compile a final list for my new build. I have assisted with other people's rigs in the past, so I'm familiar with the process, but I am having trouble deciding on a few bits and pieces, and you lovely ladies and gentlemen seem to like helping out!

Cool, let's see.
Rayted said:

Please note that the overall goal of this build is a powerful gaming rig, which runs quietly and has the capability to do bits and pieces of design work.

So here is my shopping list so far;

Case; Cooler Master HAF-X
Motherboard; ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU; Intel Core i7-3820
Heatsink; Noctua NH-D14 for LGA2011
GPU; ASUS GTX-670 or <brand> Radeon 7970
HDD; WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD; OCZ Vertex IV 256GB or Corsair equivalent.
RAM; G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit Quad Chanel @ 1600Mhz
PSU; 850W(ish) Cooler Master or Corsair or... You know... Whatever.
+ Whatever Optical Drive and Wireless Card I fancy.

We are in the realms of $2400-$2500 at the moment, which is fine. I was surprised at the low cost until I realized I didn't have a GPU in there. :lol: 

Low cost? You're overspending by my standards.

The CPU and mobo you picked are a waste of money. You should go with i7-3770K and a Z77 board if you're looking at 4-core CPUs. The CPU cooler is overkill too IMO, you can get a great one for $30-$50.

The PSU is also overkill unless you're planning on SLI/XFire.
Rayted said:

So here are my points of contention;

GPU;
I don't really buy into the whole nVidia vs. ATI debate, as from what I gather, it's almost pure opinion. To me what matters is the performance.

I have read that the Radeon 7970 is the better performer, at the cost of being more power hungry than the nVidia competitor. While this would be fine for the current build, should I wish to get a second one later on (which I almost feel duty-bound to do with the MoBo and Case, even though logic tells me it's entirely unnecessary), I would also need to upgrade the PSU. As I also mentioned earlier, running quietly is my second priority, and I'm unsure which of the two is the better performer in this area.

The 7970 isn't significantly more power hungry and is indeed more powerful. There's no need to upgrade the PSU with either card - on the contrary, either dual card config will easily run on 750W.
Rayted said:

RAM;
While I am fairly happy with the brand and size of this kit, I am a bit lost on the 1600Mhz vs. faster memory front.

Going up to, for example 2400Mhz comes at a premium, and I'm told that the performance of the two is very similar due to the timing becoming looser at higher clock speeds (therefore what you gain in speed, you pretty much lose out on in latency). Does anyone have any insight into the difference in performance?

Faster memory offers only marginal benefits even if you managed to bring the latencies to reasonable levels.
Rayted said:

HDD/SSD/Power Supply;
Just looking for a bit of insight into brands here as I've been told WD/OCZ/Cooler Master can be somewhat unreliable. If anyone has used these brands, or any others with great success, I would love to hear about it.

I fully intend to be overclocking my GPU and CPU, as I've heard that the 3820 can push 5Ghz, which totally tickles my pickle.

Thanks for reading guys, I look forward to hearing from you shortly. :love: 

CM and OCZ I believe are rather hit and miss, while Corsair PSUs are worth their price throughout the range.
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:56:06 PM

Here's a crossfire config for less than $2k

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($394.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($394.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($166.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 750W ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1886.87
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-25 11:55 EDT-0400)
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 4:15:43 PM

Hi Finn!

I had considered a build like the one you mentioned originally, when I was budgeting for $2k, however I really do prefer the 2011 socket and quad-channel memory that the Rampage Extreme gives me over the lesser board.

The 3820 is actually less expensive than the 3770k ($260 vs $336 at my local), bringing the difference between the original MoBo+CPU combo and the one you suggested to $300 give or take. Possibly a worthy spend?

I actually already have the Noctua NH-D14 cooler, and although they are a little more pricey, they really are just fantastic coolers.

I like your other changes. I have considered the Samsung 830 SSD lately, and it's looking much more attractive by the day =)

Thanks for your input. <3<3

m
l

Best solution

August 25, 2012 4:33:16 PM

Rayted said:
Hi Finn!

I had considered a build like the one you mentioned originally, when I was budgeting for $2k, however I really do prefer the 2011 socket and quad-channel memory that the Rampage Extreme gives me over the lesser board.

The 3820 is actually less expensive than the 3770k ($260 vs $336 at my local), bringing the difference between the original MoBo+CPU combo and the one you suggested to $300 give or take. Possibly a worthy spend?

I actually already have the Noctua NH-D14 cooler, and although they are a little more pricey, they really are just fantastic coolers.

I like your other changes. I have considered the Samsung 830 SSD lately, and it's looking much more attractive by the day =)

Thanks for your input. <3<3

The four channel memory seems to only really matter in benchmarks. Even the six core is only ca. 15% faster than the 3770K on average - the 3820 I imagine is actually slower. Trust me, the 3770K is The Right Choice.
August 25, 2012 6:43:47 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
August 26, 2012 2:14:15 AM

I've done a quick bit of reading, and have seen that the HIS card can draw up to 350W while under load.

Do you think a 750W PSU would still suffice for this, as it seems to be cutting it a bit close?
m
l
September 2, 2012 8:02:21 AM

Best answer selected by Rayted.
m
l
!