Is my power supply good enough

brianlittle

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hey ! im going to upgrade my power supply from a 450w to a 600 tomorrow.
Since i got a new Radeon HD 7850 ,it seems pretty power hungry and says
that it requires a minimum of 500w . . i was wondering if i would be able to
run it for a day with a 450w power supply . Without blowing anything up.
Thank you !

Solution
It would depend on the PSU. Not all can hit their rated wattage, especially if they aren't new. However, I'd say jsut stick with the 600w just to be safe. Make sure that it's a high quality power supply. Generally, only low quality supplies can explode. Higher quality units come with safety protection and are more reliable in other ways. Buy a Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec model if possible. They might be more expensive, but there is a good reason for it. PSUs are not something that you should skimp on. Ever.

No truly good PSU should explode under any reasonable circumstances unless you physically mod it to explode. Besides, the 7850 is not a very high end card. It's more upper mid-ranged than it is high end.

brianlittle

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
okay if because of a budget i had to settle for a 500w would it still be able to run the card fine or do i want to stay above the minimum? because ive heard of my friends PCU`s blowing up because of high end video card power consumption even when they had decent pcu`s

It would depend on the PSU. Not all can hit their rated wattage, especially if they aren't new. However, I'd say jsut stick with the 600w just to be safe. Make sure that it's a high quality power supply. Generally, only low quality supplies can explode. Higher quality units come with safety protection and are more reliable in other ways. Buy a Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec model if possible. They might be more expensive, but there is a good reason for it. PSUs are not something that you should skimp on. Ever.

No truly good PSU should explode under any reasonable circumstances unless you physically mod it to explode. Besides, the 7850 is not a very high end card. It's more upper mid-ranged than it is high end.

Solution