Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New HTPC Build

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 7:40:07 PM

Hello,
I'm looking to build a good looking HTPC since I will locate it front and center under my Samsung PN58C7000 3D Tv. And no, I don't want the htpc to be 3D capable; I don't thing the increase in price would be worth it. Here is the template:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week.

Budget Range: < $500 (After rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing HD movies on TV, Netflix etc., Internet on Tv

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Wifi (it's close to tv).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Maybe amazon because I have prime shipping.

Parts Preferences: No brand preference but I would like the htpc to be short and small.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: N/A. However, my tv is an HD plasma

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet pc. Black case to match existing components. Prefer short and wide case of tall. Need hdmi because so I can connect directly to tv without having to use wifi. I won't be gaming. I'll probably use either Xbmc or Plex all the time on it.

Thank you for your help in advance! :) 

More about : htpc build

August 25, 2012 8:27:06 PM

Check my sig. Slightly older kit, but works perfectly. Or go for an AMD Llano build, and you won't need a separate GPU. I believe Intel's integrated GPU can also run HD perfectly.
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:01:31 PM

For that purpose I would go with AMD and it's APU, however I also would wait until Trinity is released for non-OEM users
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 26, 2012 6:13:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, forgot to add that I don't plan on adding DVD drives of any type. Would this help me get a slimmer case? If so, can you recommend one? Thanks.
m
l
August 27, 2012 7:23:07 AM

Looks like trinity won't be out until October. I like the idea of the Llano processor so I don't have to buy a separate video card. Any suggestions for a build using Llano?
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:34:39 PM

I've not built an AMD system in years, but all you really need is the APU, the motherboard, 4GB of RAM, a PSU which operates as quietly as possible (fanless, if you can afford it) and a good chassis. An aftermarket cooler on the APU won't hurt, either.
m
l

Best solution

August 28, 2012 2:09:15 PM

Hey... just saw this. I built a Llano dedicated HTPC system about 10 months ago and it's been rock-solid. I'm mostly it it for OTA television and Netflix, so I won't comment on XBMC but for the live TV, the best decision was going with Win7 for Windows Media Center instead of messing around with MythTV on Linux (my old setup) and not having Netflix. Now the wife-acceptance-factor is high, the remote works like a charm out-of-the-box and Netflix works well too. I have a networked Silicon Dust Dual HD Homerun Tuner that I run to my box through powerline ethernet.

HD streams and records no problem (can record and watch another channel with no stuttering).

COMPLAINTS:
A little on the noisy side. I keep saying I want to buy quieter fans, but I really don't notice it when watching TV/movies... only when it turns on for a guide-update (currently set for 5am). Since my box runs at about 29 degC when watching HD content, I figure I could probably just unplug one of the case fans to make it quieter and accept a hotter machine, but for now it's not been a big enough problem. At some point, I'd like to be able to have multiple TVs, likely when we move to a bigger place. At that time, I'll have to look into some other backend/frontend options to share all the content across all machines since WMC7 (effectively) requires one to buy an Xbox as an extender and then they still cripple the functionality of the extender device. Hopefully media portal is better by then.

CPU
AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3500OJGXBOX
$89.99

MB
ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$69.99

RAM
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/2G (x2)
$30

Video
None - it's got an APU

Case
Apex DM-317 mATX HTPC Case Silver Black 1X5.25 1X3.5 1X3.5INT 275W Low Profile Front Firewire
$45

P-S
None - Comes with Case

OS Windows 7 Home Premium 120

Total $354.98. After taxes and shipping came out to $450. I already had a 1TB hard-drive to drop in, and already had the HD homerun tuner. I ended up adding a $20 black-front optical drive because we still have some content on DVD. My old optical drives had a beige front bezel and it looked bad so $20 was a small price to keep the desktop-look out of the living room.

September 2, 2012 1:06:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. This sounds good. I think I'll try the same setup with a different case. :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:06:39 AM

Best answer selected by rodriguez24.
m
l
!