Sign in with
Your question

Keybaord keys randomly change to numbers.

Tags:
  • Keyboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 9, 2013 7:14:32 AM

Hi guys, Some keys on my keyboard will randomly change to numbers usually after I play certain games. Before this is asked: No I am not on a laptop and my keyboard doesn't have the number keys embedded inside the qwerty keys (its in a section to the right like all other desktop keyboards and I keep the NumLock key on 24/7) I've tried reinstalling windows (not for this problem but because the startup gave me a blue screen after a power surge), uninstalling and reinstalling my keyboard driver through device manager, and even taking apart my keyboard and cleaning it and nothing is working. The only way i can get use of the keys that are affected (Y U I O P 7 8 9 and 0) is if i restart my computer, and then I see the problem again after playing minecraft or BF3 or any other game or even watching netflix or listening to music or sometimes just editing a pain old word document. I've searched all over google, bing, and yahoo for anyone who's had (and solved) this problem and all i saw was laptop users and that's not my situation. So please anyone who can help I'm very grateful.

Installed Hardware:
Mobo- Biostar TA75M+
CPU- AMD Llano APU Quad-core 2.7 Ghz (2.9 Ghz turbo)
Gfx card- ATI Radeon HD 6670
Keyboard- Rosewill chiklet design keyboard
Mouse- Dell optical wired
Case- Thermaltake V3 Black edition
Monitor: Acer 23" LED display
Extra hardware- HP webcam, NZXT touchscreen fan controller, 5 LED rosewill fans, logitech F-310 game controller, COBY digital stereo

Sorry for the whole list of hardware but I've got to be sure my hardware isn't causing conflicts.

More about : keybaord keys randomly change numbers

January 22, 2013 1:19:32 PM

PS2 or USB keyboard?? You talked about a power surge. My only guess is that this is somehow related to that. If it is a PS2 keyboard, then maybe the PS2 socket was somehow damaged. If it is a USB keyboard, then I would try plugging it into a different slot. It sounds like this is a general problem and not linked to any program in particular. It could also be a short in the keyboard itself somehow jumbling the input.
m
l
February 7, 2013 12:10:36 AM

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Its a USB keyboard and the power surge wasn't the problem. I know this because my PSU is hooked into an APC surge protection unit. The only reason windows had to be installed was due to a corrupt start-up file due to hard drive fault from power failure. I've narrowed the problem down. It seems to only happen if I play Minecraft, then it will randomly happen some time after, unless the computer is restarted before the problem occurs, then it doesn't happen until i play minecraft again. I don't play it often but this is a weird problem... And the weirdest part is I have no idea how minecraft influences it.
m
l
!