Sign in with
Your question

20 awg wire

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2013 7:55:06 AM

Hello;

I have a power supply with 16 awg wire on the 24 pin, i want to change the 24 pin connector and put about 4 inch 20awg wires from the original 16 awg psu wires to the new 24 pin( the new 24 pin connector has 20 awg wires which i will just join then solder with the 16awg wires coming from psu).

Is that ok to do?, is there any risk?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards.

More about : awg wire

January 9, 2013 8:46:16 AM

hairystuff said:
It should be possible but sounds like a lot of work, why not just get an extension like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Pin-to-24-Pin-ATX-Power-Ex...

Hi hairystuff;

Thanks for your reply.

Actually the original 24 pin is broken and unusable, so I will bring same extension like you said but cut it in half, then join wires with the original wires coming from psu.

Also one more question: on the 3.3v + 5v + 12v there are two wires for each pin (one 16awg and the other is 18awg), will it still be ok to use 20 awg extension?

Regards.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 8:54:42 AM

It should be fine as long as you tin the wires fully while soldering them, another thing that might be worth doing is using heat shrink tubing over the exposed parts of the wire, electrical tape will also work but heat shrink looks more professional plus the adhesive in tape can get loose especially with heat.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:23:43 AM

hairystuff said:
It should be fine as long as you tin the wires fully while soldering them, another thing that might be worth doing is using heat shrink tubing over the exposed parts of the wire, electrical tape will also work but heat shrink looks more professional plus the adhesive in tape can get loose especially with heat.

Hi hairystuff;

Thanks again for your help.

Just for confirmation, so a 20awg can hold and supply 70amps of 12v with no problems @ all.

Regards.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:33:22 AM

No. The answer is no.

The manufacturers of the power supply did not "just use 16 and 18 AWG because it's what we happened to have on hand". They used those gauges for the current they are able to carry for the load that is anticipated versus the distance it must be carried.

You are going the wrong direction. If you wish to extend the length of the leads, replace the 16ga with 14 gauge and replace the 18ga with 16 gauge wire (just to be on the safe side).

Allow me to repeat myself, DO NOT USE 20ga WIRE TO REPLACE 16ga WIRE ON YOUR PS LEADS.

Also, be absolutely certain that you drain all capacitors within the supply before you go futzing with it. If you don't know how to do this, then drop it and buy the appropriate power supply with longer leads lest you end up like the 16 yr old in Kansas that thought he could work on his PCs power supply ->
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57528853-71/teen-elec...
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:47:20 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
No. The answer is no.

The manufacturers of the power supply did not "just use 16 and 18 AWG because it's what we happened to have on hand". They used those gauges for the current they are able to carry for the load that is anticipated versus the distance it must be carried.

You are going the wrong direction. If you wish to extend the length of the leads, replace the 16ga with 14 gauge and replace the 18ga with 16 gauge wire (just to be on the safe side).

Allow me to repeat myself, DO NOT USE 20ga WIRE TO REPLACE 16ga WIRE ON YOUR PS LEADS.

Also, be absolutely certain that you drain all capacitors within the supply before you go futzing with it. If you don't know how to do this, then drop it and buy the appropriate power supply with longer leads lest you end up like the 16 yr old in Kansas that thought he could work on his PCs power supply ->
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57528853-71/teen-elec...

Hi JeauxBleaux;

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to make the 24 pin wires longer, my whole problem is that original 24 pin is broken with it's pins, that is why i want to make a little extension( about 4 inch) from the 16 awg wires coming from psu to the new 24 pin.

Please advice.

Regards.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 9:54:57 AM

For a short extension (patch repair) the 20awg should be fine, if you were to replace the entire length then 18-16awg would be recommended.
m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 10:18:41 AM

hairystuff said:
For a short extension (patch repair) the 20awg should be fine, if you were to replace the entire length then 18-16awg would be recommended.

No, that is not accurate information, refer back to what Jeaux stated - I will almost guarantee that using 20 or 22 ga wire will cause the 24pin to melt within a week of use... literally, melt - but hey, give it a shot and report back - if you're adventurous
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:20:08 AM

jhafner said:
Hi JeauxBleaux;

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to make the 24 pin wires longer, my whole problem is that original 24 pin is broken with it's pins, that is why i want to make a little extension( about 4 inch) from the 16 awg wires coming from psu to the new 24 pin.

Please advice.

Regards.

No means NO.

Why do I feel like you are trolling this help forum? You seem to already know that there is a significant amount of current on those lines.
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:29:41 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
No means NO.

Why do I feel like you are trolling this help forum? You seem to already know that there is a significant amount of current on those lines.

Hi JeauxBleaux;

First of all, there is no way I would be trolling this forum or it's members as this forum enlighten me on a lot of pc stuff, and made me build my own pc from scratch, so there is no way I would pay back to the forum or it's members by trolling in any way. (What you said doesn't reflect me @ all, and it was fast judgment)

As for the psu issue, if you feel I am trolling, then simply report this thread to a moderator.

Regards.
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:57:36 AM

jhafner said:
Hi JeauxBleaux;

First of all, there is no way I would be trolling this forum or it's members as this forum enlighten me on a lot of pc stuff, and made me build my own pc from scratch, so there is no way I would pay back to the forum or it's members by trolling in any way. (What you said doesn't reflect me @ all, and it was fast judgment)

As for the psu issue, if you feel I am trolling, then simply report this thread to a moderator.

Regards.

Glad to see I got your hackles up.

A 20AWG wire has half the ampacity of a 16AWG wire. For a given length of 16AWG wire with a rated capacity, the 20AWG wire will have half. Putting a 4" (or 1/4") piece of 20AWG wire inline with a circuit that was designed for 16AWG wire is nothing more than installing a fuse. Now, multiply this by 24, the number of cables in the bundle and you have ONE BIG fire hazard. The least of your worries will be melting the connector to which Friedman alluded.

Any reduction of 3 sizes of AWG results in a 50% reduction in current carrying capacity. Also, a 4" length of 20AWG has a .4Volt drop across it (at 12VDC) versus a .1Volt drop across a similar 16AWG splice.

It's not as if wire is expensive in the quantities you are looking for, go buy some.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:15:08 AM

JeauxBleaux said:
Glad to see I got your hackles up.

A 20AWG wire has half the ampacity of a 16AWG wire. For a given length of 16AWG wire with a rated capacity, the 20AWG wire will have half. Putting a 4" (or 1/4") piece of 20AWG wire inline with a circuit that was designed for 16AWG wire is nothing more than installing a fuse. Now, multiply this by 24, the number of cables in the bundle and you have ONE BIG fire hazard. The least of your worries will be melting the connector to which Friedman alluded.

Any reduction of 3 sizes of AWG results in a 50% reduction in current carrying capacity. Also, a 4" length of 20AWG has a .4Volt drop across it (at 12VDC) versus a .1Volt drop across a similar 16AWG splice.

It's not as if wire is expensive in the quantities you are looking for, go buy some.

Hi JeauxBleaux;

but why 24 pin psu extenders(male & female with 20cm wires) sold on the market today are all 20awg?
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:33:13 AM

They aren't.

Consider this: the power supply you currently have in your system has 16 and 18AWG wires (according to you) and has a power capacity of, let's say 1000 watts. You find an old, useless 350 watt supply with a 24 pin connector chalk full of 20AWG wires and think to yourself, I can use this! What's wrong with this picture?

Thus far, you have made no mention of your overall system power requirements nor of the ratings of either power supply (current one or cannibalized PS). All that I have told you are simply "worst case" scenarios.

Best of luck to you, I have to go to work. Hope I don't read about you in tomorrow's news.

m
l
January 9, 2013 4:31:24 PM

JeauxBleaux said:
They aren't.

Consider this: the power supply you currently have in your system has 16 and 18AWG wires (according to you) and has a power capacity of, let's say 1000 watts. You find an old, useless 350 watt supply with a 24 pin connector chalk full of 20AWG wires and think to yourself, I can use this! What's wrong with this picture?

Thus far, you have made no mention of your overall system power requirements nor of the ratings of either power supply (current one or cannibalized PS). All that I have told you are simply "worst case" scenarios.

Best of luck to you, I have to go to work. Hope I don't read about you in tomorrow's news.

Hi JeauxBleaux;

My power supply is corsair hx 850, and i've got 1100t + gtx 480 to be overclocked in the future.
I managed to save all cabels and their pins except for +5v pin located on 21st pin. So is it ok if i put small 20 awg wire for only that pin?, by the way my psu rating for +5v is 25amp.

Regards.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 6:27:32 PM

jhafner said:
Hi hairystuff;

Thanks again for your help.

Just for confirmation, so a 20awg can hold and supply 70amps of 12v with no problems @ all.

Regards.

20AWG wire will NOT carry 70 AMPS of current. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm Not even close. It's obvious to me you should not be attempting to make this repair. Anyone who tells you to extend any wire with a smaller AWG wire should should do a little more reading.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 6:52:08 PM

what happened to your current 24pin block?

oh and +1 to don't do it.
m
l
!