Your question

Upgraded pc wont boot up

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 9:17:12 PM

Hi Guys, Names Paul from Scotland, A new member to this place and I could really used some advice as I have hit a brick wall regarding my pc.

My old mobo was needing upgraded so I ordered a new one with new RAM and a new CPU whilst I was at it.

I have tried a billion different things and cannot even get the pc to boot up (post) but the fans on the mobo all come on.

The mobo I bought is a - MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) AMD Unlocked CPU AM3+ Motherboard

The RAM is - Corsair Memory Vengeance Racing Red 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Dual Channel Desktop (2 x 8 gb)

And The CPU - AMD CPU FX Series 4100 Black Edition Quad Core Processor Bulldozer

The PSU I already have is a OCZ 700W stealthXstream 2

My HDD is - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB

The CPU came with its own Heatsync and fan with pre- applied thermal paste. I took every precation to avoid static damage and have not felt any heat coming from the processer throughout all of my efforts. I went through the breadboarding thread and still no joy. The PSU still works on the old mobo and I did try anoher PSU but no avail so im pretty sure its either the mobo or CPU but not sure if im missing something.
Have I bought some incompatible parts perhaps?

Any help will will be very gratefully recieved cheers guys. Paul :p 

More about : upgraded wont boot

August 26, 2012 4:02:11 AM

Ok when you say that it will not boot up...will it turn on at all? Where does it get stuck if it turns on?
August 26, 2012 4:11:41 AM

Cheers for the reply, it starts up in the sense that the fans start so the mobo is definitely getting power but the display doesnt show anything. There isnt any beeps from the mobo either but when I boot up my old mobo and cpy etc there also isnt a beep but the old stuff still works. I tried taking the Ram out and unplugging the HDD and the DVD Drive and still no display or beeps. The HDD is still my old one (Sata) with my original windows 7 and files etc on it but I thought even then I would still get a POST and be able to get to the bios at least.
Related resources
August 26, 2012 4:16:18 AM

do you have a graphics card? or does your monitor run off the motherboard?
August 26, 2012 4:29:17 AM

I have a gfx card but I have tried it with the onboard vga and the dvi slot. The first time I tried it was with my own card though (gtx 480) since then I removed my card and have been trying with just the onboard stuff.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2012 4:29:24 AM

part of me wants to heavily question compatability of the ram. the mobo only supports up to 1333 which you are using 1866
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2012 4:31:05 AM

pkerr42713 said:
I have a gfx card but I have tried it with the onboard vga and the dvi slot. The first time I tried it was with my own card though (gtx 480) since then I removed my card and have been trying with just the onboard stuff.

after removing the gpu, have you tried doing a cmos reset(usually requires pressing a button on the mobo, or removing a cell battery from the mobo and placing it back in.
August 26, 2012 4:33:18 AM

I thought RAM might be the problem too but even with no ram there is no memory warning beeps
August 26, 2012 4:34:16 AM

Yes I tried removing the cell battery for about 20 mins the placed it back in.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2012 4:36:55 AM

if you have access to lower frequency ram, that would be nice at this moment in my opinion. jsut to see if it is indeed a ram compatibility problem.
August 26, 2012 4:45:01 AM

I still have my old DDR2 ram i tried that to see if it was maybe backwards compatible but same results. It wasnt til after I ordered the new RAM I realised it was 1866 but I thought it would maybe still work
August 26, 2012 4:59:06 AM

Dont know if this matters but I also dont have any heat at all coming from the CPU area. Its as if the CPU isnt being used
March 17, 2013 5:36:51 AM

I think your problem is as easy as a BIOS flash. you see, the 880GMA e35 FX needs the newest bios for the fx processors to work. Try to get your hands on a non FX amd cpu like a Athlon II or something and then Flash the BIOS to the newest version. This should fix your problem
!