Windows Explorer Search

I am running Windows XP SP1. I recently re-installed the OS (includeing a
hard drive format) so its a very clean install.

The problem: I am attempting to use the Widows Explorer Search function. I
am specifically using the "Search for a word or phrase in a file". I am
attempting to search in asci files. I'm also resting with a string that I
know is in the file. Unfortunately, regardless of the options I select,
Search return no matching file names. Ironnically, it did find a match in a
Word document but none of the asci file types.

Any suuggestions, short of reinstalling XP yet again, would be appreciated.

Gary
3 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer search

    don't reinstall the OS. try upgrading to Service pack 2.

    it might help a bit.

    "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP SP1. I recently re-installed the OS (includeing a
    > hard drive format) so its a very clean install.
    >
    > The problem: I am attempting to use the Widows Explorer Search function.
    > am specifically using the "Search for a word or phrase in a file". I am
    > attempting to search in asci files. I'm also resting with a string that I
    > know is in the file. Unfortunately, regardless of the options I select,
    > Search return no matching file names. Ironnically, it did find a match in
    > Word document but none of the asci file types.
    >
    > Any suuggestions, short of reinstalling XP yet again, would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Gary

    I find that the search features in explorer are absolutley terrible now. I
    use a third patry tool now, its faster and always finds it. The indexing
    service search works good and FAST but turns up alot Im not looking for.

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:22:03 -0700, Gary wrote:

    > I am running Windows XP SP1. I recently re-installed the OS (includeing a
    > hard drive format) so its a very clean install.
    >
    > The problem: I am attempting to use the Widows Explorer Search function. I
    > am specifically using the "Search for a word or phrase in a file". I am
    > attempting to search in asci files. I'm also resting with a string that I
    > know is in the file. Unfortunately, regardless of the options I select,
    > Search return no matching file names. Ironnically, it did find a match in a
    > Word document but none of the asci file types.
    >
    > Any suuggestions, short of reinstalling XP yet again, would be appreciated.
    >
    > Gary

    What you're describing is normal for XP Search. May want to consider using
    an alternative find tool such as Agent Ransack that can be found here:
    http://www.mythicsoft.com

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Windows Explorer Windows XP