Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dissapointed with GTX 480 Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 7, 2012 3:23:15 AM

Hey guys recently upgraded from a GTS 250 to a GTX 480 and seeing barely any increase in FPS in most spots of the game. Currently I am on WoW. I just raided in a 25 man and was at 25fps on high settings not maxed out. What could the problem be here? Heres my setup.

CPU: Phenom II x4 945
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3
GPU: GTX 480
PSU: Antec 650w Greenwatts
Case: NZXT M59
Memory: 8gb 1333mhz (4x 2gb)

Thanks for the help.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 3:29:00 AM

Thats because WOW is severely bottlenecking your CPU. I had a heavily overclocked Q6600 which is faster than your CPU and I still got 30fps in 25 man raids until I upgraded to an I72600k which gave me over 100+ fps.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:30:40 AM

mightymaxio said:
Thats because WOW is severely bottlenecking your CPU. I had a heavily overclocked Q6600 which is faster than your CPU and I still got 30fps in 25 man raids until I upgraded to an I72600k which gave me over 100+ fps.



Ahhh. I did think that was the culprit. I have the funds to upgrade.. what is my best bet here?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 7, 2012 3:33:58 AM

Get a 955 for less that $100.00, turn up the mulitpler to 3.8, problem solved.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:35:42 AM

obubdeno said:
Hey guys recently upgraded from a GTS 250 to a GTX 480 and seeing barely any increase in FPS in most spots of the game. Currently I am on WoW. I just raided in a 25 man and was at 25fps on high settings not maxed out. What could the problem be here? Heres my setup.

CPU: Phenom II x4 945
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3
GPU: GTX 480
PSU: Antec 650w Greenwatts
Case: NZXT M59
Memory: 8gb 1333mhz (4x 2gb)

Thanks for the help.


I would imagine you installed your video card correctly? Uninstall Drivers, Clean Sweep Drivers, Install New Drivers....

I would also imagine you have both power connectors plugged into the GTX 480....

If all that holds true, I have no clue because a x4 945 won't bottleneck a 480 for the most part. However, I know that multi-player can be hindered a lot when a cpu is not up to par.

Could you please run a 3dmark benchmark and let me know your score
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:35:59 AM

I dont want to spend $100 to upgrade one cpu above mine, when mine is 3+ years old technology, there must be something better for around that price, amd's are very inexpensive
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:37:58 AM

zloginet said:
I would imagine you installed your video card correctly? Uninstall Drivers, Clean Sweep Drivers, Install New Drivers....

I would also imagine you have both power connectors plugged into the GTX 480....

If all that holds true, I have no clue because a x4 945 won't bottleneck a 480 for the most part. However, I know that multi-player can be hindered a lot when a cpu is not up to par.

Could you please run a 3dmark benchmark and let me know your score




I did not uninstall the old drivers no, where can I find them?

And alright I can run a 3dmark benchmark real quick and post results.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:50:53 AM

obubdeno said:
Ahhh. I did think that was the culprit. I have the funds to upgrade.. what is my best bet here?



A Q6600 isn't near a 945 stock... A heavily overclocked Q6600 as you say would be close and faster in some. However, not much of a difference either way...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-cha...


I do admit... you should keep your cpu but up that clock speed.... better yet, turn a bit of the eye candy down.
m
0
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 3:54:06 AM

If you have a 945, no point in buying a 955. Just OC the CPU you have. Get that frequency up as high as you safely can.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:58:22 AM

mightymaxio said:
Thats because WOW is severely bottlenecking your CPU. I had a heavily overclocked Q6600 which is faster than your CPU and I still got 30fps in 25 man raids until I upgraded to an I72600k which gave me over 100+ fps.



More proof..

Heavily overclocked Q6600 @4.3 vs a Heavily overclocked X4 "925" @ 3.9

The 925 was mine at the time...

WPRIME scores

Q6600 = 9.516
X4 925 = 9.515

Here is my hwbot.org sub for my 925 at that speed http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2191030_dect6.0_wprime_...

This guys has a 945, not overclocked but it took you 400mhz to still not equal my 925.
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 3:59:39 AM

Alright, well someone please help me with the overclocking, I have the options here, what Do i do about voltages and what not, What else Do I need to change besides the CPU?
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 4:01:12 AM

obubdeno said:
Alright, well someone please help me with the overclocking, I have the options here, what Do i do about voltages and what not, What else Do I need to change besides the CPU?



Totally different ball game my friend... ^^^^^..... lots to learn before you go off asking such wide open help... Check the forums and search google.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 4:20:35 AM

Is your CPU is Black Edition (unlocked multiplier)?

Easy way :
just up multiplier by one and do stress testing by prime95, watch the temp and instability if the max temp below 60c (55c ideal). up the multiplier one again and redo the process until it reach instability/high temp. Don't need to touch the voltage.

other way:
Drop the voltage to minimum that stable and start up the multiplier from there, and increase the voltage if the target clock not reached/ there system instability..

If u had locked multiplier then u need to O.C by increasing the fsb speed by 1 Mhz each time and stress test, but it out of my league to tell it...

Anyone my add or correct my post..

edit:

Watch the temp if it goes above 55c and keep up then u need to stop the test........ (this is based on my 955BE, u might need to check your 945 max temp)
But prime95 test is hardly archive in normal condition (everyday use). so if u hit 58c in prime it usually hover around 54c max in everyday usage
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 4:25:50 AM

rdc85 said:
Is your CPU is Black Edition (unlocked multiplier)?

Easy way :
just up multiplier by one and do stress testing by prime95, watch the temp and instability if the max temp below 60c (55c ideal). up the multiplier one again and redo the process until it reach instability/high temp. Don't need to touch the voltage.

other way:
Drop the voltage to minimum that stable and start up the multiplier from there, and increase the voltage if the target clock not reached/ there system instability..

If u had locked multiplier then u need to O.C by increasing the fsb speed by 1 Mhz each time and stress test, but it out of my league to tell it...

Anyone my add or correct my post..


Well.. I was messing with it..My CPU speed now is down to 2.0ghz and wont go any higher =/
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 4:34:27 AM

U can always reset CMOS if u screw up (as long u don't burn some comp)..

"Reset CMOS" button was my best friend at that time........... :D 

U need to read some guide in forums/web, and don't expect every chip was a same some are better some are no go..

Last Don't Regret later since u will have possibility that it will burn something. The decision has to be made before u O.C...
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 4:44:04 AM

rdc85 said:
U can always reset CMOS if u screw up (as long u don't burn some comp)..

"Reset CMOS" button was my best friend at that time........... :D 

U need to read some guide in forums/web, and don't expect every chip was a same some are better some are no go..

Last Don't Regret later since u will have possibility that it will burn something. The decision has to be made before u O.C...



Alright haha I did reset... I went into the actual BIOS instead of the ASRock application.

Now... I went up 10% to 3.3ghz. It says thats what Im running at... Temps at idle are 45C. Hows that?

Also...Im running 4x2gbs ram sticks that are 1333mhz but my bios said they were 800speed? So i changed that to 1333mhz is that bad?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 5:07:38 AM

It better to open new thread at O.C forum.. since it side tracked from your first question hehe....

U will get better replies at there.....

ram at bios is it DDR-800 (1600Mhz) or DDR-400 (800Mhz)?

I suggest u don't touch the ram until u had stable CPU, if u OC the ram before get stable OC ed CPU it will make thing more complicated..........

Idle temp means nothing, DL prime95 for stress test and Hwmonitor/speedfan/tempcore/etc to monitor the temp real time.... (45c is quite high for idle, but if it was temp at bios it might not idle temp at all)

edit: don't forget to pick best answer so it will marked [solved]
Share
July 7, 2012 5:14:29 AM

Best answer selected by obubdeno.
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 5:15:56 AM

zloginet said:
More proof..

Heavily overclocked Q6600 @4.3 vs a Heavily overclocked X4 "925" @ 3.9

The 925 was mine at the time...

WPRIME scores

Q6600 = 9.516
X4 925 = 9.515

Here is my hwbot.org sub for my 925 at that speed http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2191030_dect6.0_wprime_...

This guys has a 945, not overclocked but it took you 400mhz to still not equal my 925.

I feel bad for your FX. :whistle: 
m
0
l
July 7, 2012 7:59:53 PM

amuffin said:
I feel bad for your FX. :whistle: 


I will make sure I tell my FX you do...

Alright, I just did.

He says...... Intel chips are penis extensions...
m
0
l
!