Your question
Solved

$1100 Architecture Student Build ~ 3d Modeling/ Rendering

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2012 10:22:48 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: within a week or two

Budget Range: $1100 after rebates after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D modeling, Rendering, 2D drawing, Photoshopping, Web surfing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes 23"

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo, RAM, case, cooling, SSD, graphic card, power supply , dvd rw drive....( am i missing anything else?)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes Window 7 Home premium 64 bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: whichever site is cheapest :D 

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Los Angeles Downtown, CA

Parts Preferences:
--CPU : i7-2600k
-- mobo: with a OC genie II button :D 
-- cooling : corsair h60 closed loop liquid cooling ( doesn't that work with other stuff?)
--case : a good looking ( but not too gamer looking) smallish mid tower sized
--graphic card : quadro 600
-- RAM: at least 16gb of RAM
-- SSD : 60gb should be enough for me , i just want it to boot up fast and load things fast , as I have an external HD to store things.

Overclocking: want to, but dont have the knowledge/time/ courage to take the risk of damaging anything. That is why I am thinking of the noob way to OC with MSI's mobo with that OC genie II button that i heard can bring a i7-2600k up to 4.2ghz

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080 or 1920x1200 whichever monitor has a better deal

Additional Comments: I AM a student so whenever if possible, cutting down the cost without sacrificing performance would be awesome, but then if absolutely necessary, I could raise my budget a tiny bit if it makes a world of difference....! I want this to last at least three more years. I am currently using Rhinoceros 4.0 and VRay to render, but I will need a different rendering solution as I won't be able to transfer the Vray to this new computer. I will be using Autocad and CS5 Illustrator, Photoshop, and Indesign on this. I am also motivated to learn 3dsmax and Revit or any other 3d modeling software when the computer will allow me to. This computer will be in my dorm room so I would like it to be as quiet as possible. And last comment, this IS my FIRST computer build attempt so please give any advice :) 

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: A dell XPS1645 laptop just isn't cutting it when it overheats and blue screen crashes whenever I run two or more programs at the same time for a while, so I didn't even bother to learn more programs when it would just crash. Slow at startup, incredibly loud fan, and runs super hot. Hopefully this new computer will let me work smoothly, multitasking with several programs, rendering at the same time, and boost my productivity.

Best solution

August 25, 2012 11:16:49 PM

im pretty sure that the universities hand out windows for free. ask them

the specs you are asking for could be hard to fit in since it would go over 1100 with the monitor.

in both builds, add the quadro 600 into the build. i cant find it on this site. also, check if the programs you use support AMD cards since they are much cheaper for your usage

no overclocking
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fEaj

overclocking
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fEaJ

overclocking is easy. just go into the bios, find the core multiplier, set the clockspeed to 4.2ghz, and reset the system and bam you get a decent overclock. oc genie gets you around 4ghz
August 25, 2012 11:17:31 PM

the momentus xt should be a good balance between performance and price. 60gb SSDs just arent worth it
Related resources
August 26, 2012 12:17:03 AM

and may I ask why 60gb ssd aren't worth it? I've read a lot about how SSD can speed things up. Currently it takes quite a while to load programs and save files in programs like illustrator and stuff with this laptop's HD that also runs at 7200rpm (given this is a laptop and a two year old harddrive, i guess it is slower than the one you listed, but still, I have doubt about HD) ..... would it be worth it if I pony up for a 128gb SSD then?
August 26, 2012 12:28:54 AM

60gb SSDs offer the worst price per gb out of all SSDs. if you get the 128gb, it makes more sense but it would cost you over your 1100 budget

August 26, 2012 12:32:44 AM

I know they're not the best, but the Agility 3 90GB SSD is about $49 after rebate on Amazon.
August 26, 2012 12:35:32 AM

nah. i wont fall for agility. my friends brother had the 240gb version and it died on him
August 26, 2012 12:37:15 AM

I would be reluctant to jump on that, but if were a Corsair/Crucial/Samsung drive....
August 26, 2012 1:21:39 AM

60 ssd offer the worst price per gb ? honestly, for storage, HDD would be the obvious choice. But as far as performance goes, ssd does have its advantages over HDD when it comes to loading / saving files at a faster speed right?
August 26, 2012 1:27:46 AM

For a typical 1TB drive at $100, you're paying 10 cents per GB. An SSD is much higher. It's faster, but you're paying more for less storage. Best to get a 120/128GB SSD and 1TB HDD to get the best of both worlds.
August 26, 2012 1:39:49 AM

I do already have an external HDD drive for pure storage. So if all I want to do is focus on work production speed (and later transfer the file to my ext HDD for storage), it does make sense to go with a SSD for faster loading and saving , right? Lets say I am making a 3D model, and I have to save every 10 minutes or so, I think I'd be happy if I can reduce the time it takes to save like a 1Gb file or something.
August 26, 2012 1:43:16 AM

It would help a LOT.
August 26, 2012 3:23:16 AM

so ... which 60ssd or 128 ssd would you recommend?
August 26, 2012 3:24:31 AM

Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 are the ones I'd chose.
August 26, 2012 4:16:08 AM

Best answer selected by ArchiStudent.
August 26, 2012 4:16:21 AM

thank you all, I think I will be going with the builds recommended by TheBigTroll and the SSD recommended by obsama.
!