kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello,

My PC gets restart when gaming but only during evening. In morning its fine.

Specs:

Core 2 duo
P5N73 mbo
HD5770
700W Huntkey
1Kva Numeric UPS

I have a doubt in PSU.
But cooling is fine.
The thing I want to clarify is if PSU is the problem then it must be restarted all time. But peculiarly it does only during evening.

I'm feared that in our city there is some reduction in voltage during evening. so I have upgraded my UPS from 600Va to 1 Kva recently.

But the problem persists.
So far I have removed all the parts cleaned and refiltted guessing that dust might be problem.
And also inspected for Temp during gaming which looks 5n below 50"C

Kindly suggest me some ways so that I d start my gaming.
I'm ready to get a branded Corsair 750W but how can i be sure that it the problem is wit PSU coz it works 5n in day..???

Pleae help me Guys.. I'm burning..

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I agree.. But if it a power issue it must occur al time.. Can u please provide an explanatory for ur solution..
B coz if the problem continues aftre buying a new Corsair then it'l b too bad..
I.ve already afforded to buy 1Kva UPS last week..

rainbueza

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
can you borrow a spare power supply from anyone (friends or relatives), and try using it and if the problem still occurs, then the psu is the problem.

if not, then it is on the other hardware installed. maybe a faulty ram or mobo.

but try using other psu first.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
when you say that the problem only occurs in the evening, is it after a cold boot or has your system been running through the day time and then you see the problem around evening time.

I just want to know whether it is actually related to evening and morning times or is it related to how long your system has been running continusly before it gives in.

since you run your system connected to a ups, there is a chance that your ups battery is not getting charged to its full potential due to insufficient power coming in from the wall socket. in Such situation a ups will not be able to provide adequate continuous power to the psu.

could also be power supply under load is sending ac ripple into the pc. or at night there a lot of noise in the power that the ups not filtering out. check to see if the pc near any wiring outside. i seen pc affected from em fields from trolly lines here in mass. the owners of the pc had to move there pc away from the power lines.

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
The time doesn't matter bcoz some days I wont use PC in daytime fully and use it at night.. then I see it getting restarted..

Also regarding PSU i'l borrow it from somebody and try it..
Thanks for the response..

If PSU is not the problem then it might be with the Hardware.. I'd check it and post..

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Also I have another question??

Will UPS power up the system initially..

I didnot ask abt when power goes off???
In times when there is no power can I initiate the system with UPS..
Coz I get beep sound saying Faulty and my sys doesnot stsrt..
But there is no problem wit back up..

It holds for 30 mins..

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Also I have an update in this query..
If I directly power up the system using socket without a UPS it runs fine..
I'm totally in confusion..
But the UPS is a new one which I have purchased 2 weeks back.. whiv=ch also holds a good back up..

satyamdubey

Distinguished
okay so here is one possible explanation of your problem
you have a 1 KVA ups which is a little less than 1000 watts of continuous power. To this you have a huntkey 700 W psu attached. now assuming that your psu is 70% efficient, to deliver 700W to your system, your psu will draw 1000W from the ups.

you will definately have other peripherals such as monitor and speaker system attached to the ups as well. so basically you are drawing more power from the ups than what it is rated to deliver. When your system runs on 100% load then you get a restart as that is when you've crossed the power limit.

when you directly plug the system to the wall socket, you can draw a lot more power as it is not being regulated/fixed like in the case of a ups.

how i arrived at 1000W system requirement you ask! :)
psu always delivers its rated wattage to "it's" supply side that is to the motherboard
therefore for a 70% psu, if X is wattage drawn from the wall socket, then
X(watts) x 70/100 = 700(Watts)
therefore X=1000 Watts

-satyam

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Your issue is the UPS.

You have probably not set it up properly, or you have too many appliances connected to it.

Can you tell me everything connected to the UPS ? Hopefully you don't have printer connected to it

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I hope there is no issue wit ups b coz he has worked out the formulae well..
Also the UPS back and performance u will be minimal if it is a problem..
But amazingly it holds ppower upto 40 mins (Normal usage no gaming)..
Yet thanks for your feedback..
I welcome ur suggestions anymore..?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
I am pretty convinced that you can do well with a more efficient psu than that huntkey. and a decent 500W psu would be able to power up that system well. say an 80+ bronze 500 would be good. that'll draw like 620 Watts from the ups and wont cause the problem.

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
agreed with satyamdubey's point's. a 500w corsair efficient PSU is a good idea and will improve stability.

Also that UPS is 1000va but only gives 720 watts. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. Bear in mind that PSU only provides unbalanced load protection so might not have enough protection from your needs.

A new PSU should give enough protection for what you need.

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Yeah it works.. I was playing Farcry 3 with intense graphics and found no issue.. But played only for 1 hour due to hectic work shedule.. So I'd do it tonight and tell u guys what happens actually..
But only connected CPU. Removed monitor, no peripherals was connected.
It can power up the CPU I guess.
But if 1000 VA UPS will supply only 700W??? Even if I buy a 750W Corsair (With Future scope) can it deliver power for my CPU and monitor.
I don't want it power any peripheral.
I just want to know is my UPS really efficient?
What abt ur suggestions for this query?

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Also if this goes fine shall I continue using my PC wit same SMPS connected only wit CPU???
B Coz i cannot afford for Corsair now..
May be after a month or twice I can get it..
Will this cause any issuue ?? Lead to some probs in my MBO or Graphic??

satyamdubey

Distinguished
you can continue using your existing psu/smps provided you run it from the wall socket and not the ups as that seems to eliminate the restart problem. You psu will have the overvoltage/over current protection and it might help to get a surge protector till the time you get you new psu. All this will help a lot in ensuring your system is not damaged by any freak voltage fluctuation.
If the problem persists with running from the wall socket as well, then its almost certain that your psu is the culprit and might not be sustaining the the correct Vrail voltage.
refer this, its a good read and better learning: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297471-28-stupid-question-12volt-rails

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
As you rightly said, no need to buy a new PSU. We know where the issue is now, and it the UPS

The best thing to do is remove all peripherals except the Tower Case (CPU). This should fix your issue.

Test with this setup for a while and post back.

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Actually I plugged CPU in UPS yesterday night and played FARCRY 3 with full garphic no probs of restarting.. (But only for 1 - 1.5 Hrs)
But I have connected only CPU into the UPS.?? But If I connect monitor and other peripherals it gets resarted.
Can Someone explain the reason for this???

I suggest if PSU is drawing (may be 500 W) to power up the graphic card and some 200 W for MBO and Proc + 2 Fans.. (Total of may be 700W)
Still UPS can power up the monitor and also CPU(entire components) since it can supply continuously watt of slightly less than 1000W???? Right??
Correct me if I'm wrong..

My doubt is: Is it because of PSU which is less efficient may draw any extra watts may be (800 W) to provide the required 600 or 650 W ..???
So that the required watts exceeds the max limit UPS can provide?? and PC restars..
These are my queries??
If somebody can help me for exact solution I require??

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Your UPS is only rated at 700w.

When you boot up it doesn't use the full power. When you play games it draws more power.

So with your PSU using say 600w inside the system it will be drawing more than that from the UPS. When you connect other things you add more power which is obviously too much for it to handle.

kalyan90

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
If this is the case then everybody should be using UPS only to power up the CPU..???
But they dont they connect some peripherals also??
Even a person having higher config than my PC (Varying graphic card and PSU higher than mine) uses the same UPS 1Kva
and he dont have the problem what I have..
Thats y I'm digging in to find out what exactly the problem is??
Because if I had a 600 Va ups or lesser one i could agree tat it is insufficient to oprovide the required power..

MY clearcut point is whether my PSU tends to pull more AC power to provide the required DC to PC because
PSU just converts mains AC to low-voltage regulated DC power for the internal components of a computer.
Is the converting efficiency is very low which tends to pull more AC watts to provide the required DC power to the system???

Also kindly consider that UPS is a new one and its efficiency is also good..
But i also have a doubt that either it doesnot provide continuous watts required???
I agree this also might be the case.. Hope this should not be..

Tats y I ask u please guys can u tell me the exact solutions??
Hope u r clear wit my doubts??

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
To be Honest, Huntkey PUS's are not that bad at all and I don't think the PSU he's using is old.

With that said, I guess you wants to get to the bottom of the issue here. I doubt PSU change will fix the issue but you have to start somewhere so....

Can you connect a different PC to the UPS ? The fact that the UPS is new doesn't mean it can't be faulty.

Do a self test on the UPS to see if it passes. Also, do your best to make sure you have the most current UPS driver software if required for your PC.

Visit the Numeric website and check for any known issues affecting your model or updates for your UPS