mgrove91

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I have an old WRT54G with wireless signal that has been working mostly without trouble for the last few years, but I recently moved into a new apartment complex and I can't get it to work for more than a day at max. I think that it is conflicting with other routers in the complex because we're all wired to the same hub.

I've tried changing the IP address a few times. First, I tried some obscure ending like 192.168.1.143 or something and that worked for about a day before I lost connection again. After that, I tried changing the middle number. 192.168.0.1 worked for a few days as well, but now it's not working at all.

What is going on and what can I do to fix it? I'm so frustrated at this thing, it's killing me.

Thanks for the help!

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Is it just the router? Have you plugged straight to the PC without it and kept a consistent signal? I have really never heard of a router losing it's connection just because you are on a network with a lot of other people.

I have the exact same router myself but have never experienced that problem. Also do you have security on your wireless network enabled?

mgrove91

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Yep, it's not the cord or the connection itself because I can use the router as a hub, but once I plug the internet into the WAN port and try to broadcast (making it a DHCP) it does not work anymore.

Yes, security is enabled.

Do you have any more advice? :/

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Not really, i was just throwing out some educated guesses. I figure you know how to set it up having had it in a previous place where it worked.

Really should be as simple as:
1. Take the cord from the DSL or Cable modem and run that in the one internet port rather than to the PC
2. Take a cable from any other port on the router and run that to the PC (i would try all 4 just to eliminate a bad port)
not any real rocket science there.

You wouldn't happen to have a friend who had another router you could borrow just as a test to make sure the router itself did not go bad? You could also try updating to the latest firmware, but i would do that as a last resort for one reason. If for any reason you lose the connection while the firmware update is in progress your router is now just a plastic paperweight.

What do you mean you are wired to the same hub? Is there a central modem and router in use already? How is the place wired?

If you have a router already in place somewhere, you need to setup yours to disable NAT and DHCP and use it as a straight switch not a router. That way your PC will get the proper IP settings from the central router to access the internet.

mgrove91

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Yes, we are all wired to the same hub (but I don't have access to it)

If I disable NAT and DHCP can I still use it as a wireless broadcaster?

If this isn't going to fix it, I'm going to assume it's dead. It's been around for a long time.

Thanks guys

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I'll admit, the whole "connected to the same hub" thing i really don't understand either. I live in a development with over 400 houses, and at one point or another we are all connecting through some sort of hub in the park (which is why i am paying for 30MBPS and only getting an average of 14 :fou: ). But each house still has it's own individual line (in my case cable line) that comes up from the ground to a connection outside the house on a post, and your cable goes on the other side of it (sort of looks like a splitter but with only two connections instead of 3) and you run from the post into your house.

Can you elaborate on the whole hub thing? Is it DSL or Cable? Do you actually have a DSL or coaxial cable you are plugging to a modem, then to the router or is the signal being picked up just by the router wireless (like a hotspot)

TRENDING THREADS