Sign in with
Your question

Picture of Glue in PSU - Is this Okay ?

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2013 1:00:53 PM

Hi Folks,

I bought a brand new Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply a year ago. The PC is not on all the time. In fact - I would say we use it 5 or 6 times a month for a few hours.

I have no problems what so over - there is no smell or noise issues with the PSU. However, I bought a new PC last week and when installing this PSU into that PC I happened to look inside ( maybe for the first time I guess ) and I saw a glob of glue and then some glue near one of the coils. The glue is white except near the coil where it is slightly yellow.

I have included two screenshots. Is this normal and okay ?

Thanks in advance - jg1234

Links

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/psu1hf.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/psu2z.jpg/

More about : picture glue psu

a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 1:09:06 PM

Well does it work?
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:12:40 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Well does it work?

Hi FinneousPJ.

Yes - it seems to work just fine. I have no issues.

I am never familiar with PSU and just happened to look inside so I wanted to check if anyone has seen this or if it's normal ?

Thanks - jg1234
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2013 1:23:34 PM

I'd guess it's normal.
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:50:52 PM

Yes that is 100% normal. I believe the foam looking substance you refer to as glue helps insulate the capacitors on the PSU board. The hot glue (clear glue) helps hold the caps in place when being soldered I'm quite sure as well.
m
l
January 9, 2013 1:50:58 PM

Yes that is 100% normal. I believe the foam looking substance you refer to as glue helps insulate the capacitors on the PSU board. The hot glue (clear glue) helps hold the caps in place when being soldered I'm quite sure as well.
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:44:51 PM

Thanks thorox.

I appreciate the re assurance. It was the first time I had noticed it.

-jg1234
m
l
!