Abnormally High Temps on Corsair H100i CPU Water Cooler

Ghill217

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi guys, just thought I'd throw these numbers by you.. Thought this was pretty strange.

Used to have a Cooler Master V6 CPU cooler and got great temps, idle and full load. I recently got my H100i installed, with an additional 2 fans for a push / pull effect. The problem is, I'm getting above 90 degrees Celsius at 100% CPU on Prime95, otherwise idle temps gererally 40+ Celcius. As you can assume, I am pretty concerned about this, already mailed Corsair. Is it possible I'm not configuring something right in Corsair Link?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can provide,
Gus

Case: Cooler Master HAF-932 Advanced [Blue Edition]
Motherboard:ASUS P8Z77-VPRO
CPU:Intel i5 3570K OC'd to 4.5ghz
CPU Cooler:Corsair H100i
Ram: G. Skill Ripjaw X Series 16gb (2 x 8gb)
GPU: MSI 660ti PE
Sound Card:Sound Blaster Recon 5.1
PSU: Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold Certified
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm (x2)

Ghill217

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I'll have to double check my voltage when I get back home, ambient temps are around 70 Fahrenheit. I use arctic silver thermal paste, and yes I removed the pre applied paste beforehand, purified the surface as well. Also can you over apply thermal paste to the point of being counter productive / causing any other issues? It just concerns me that I'm getting these temps when everyone else with similar set ups are reporting around 20 Celsius idles, and not exceeding 50-60 Celsius at load. Sorry if this doesn't help without the voltage info.. Thanks for the quick response, looking forward to the next one!

Gus

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Yes the idea of thermal paste is to use as little as possible. It's literally just to fill in tiny imperfections.

If you've left auto voltage it could be causing very high temps.

Most people don't go over 4.4ghz to be honest and some chips need less voltage to get higher.

I am doubtful of not going over 60 when overclocked even on a custom watercooling loop. Maybe possible with sandybridge put because of the construction of ivy bridge it's not possible to get the heat away fast enough.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
My i5-3570k with a noctua d14 was around ~70ºC with no case ventilation,NZXT Phantom 410 with stock fans.
Your temps are really high probably due to excessive voltage.For reference I was using Vcore offset at + 0.05v so Vcore was around 1.25v and even that was excessive.

Reinstall everything and apply only a drop of thermal paste.

It would be a good idea to repost this thread on the WC forums as your idle temps are very very high.

Remember to explain how you OC the CPU as it can be from that.Idle temps are mid ~25ºC on my "no air going in" case.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Also people getting 50-60ºC are on probably on custom made WC setups and even then I doubt anyone is getting such temps at 4.5ghz,the voltage is just too high and generates too much heat for nothing but an extremely high-end WC setup to keep at 50-60º.That is unless they live somewhere extremely cold.I see alot of 60~70ºC for 4.2-4.4ghz on air though,some even without touching voltages because they won the perfect chip.
Probably your WC pump is not working properly.