Best memory for high end AMD?

G

Hi!

I'm going to buy a new computer, and would like some help choosing the memory.

I'm going to buy a AMD 1,4 GHz computer, and it's going to be used for 3D graphics. I intend to buy 512 Mb memory, but don't know wich type.

First question: I read that Rambus has a faster speed or something (most memory had 133Hz of something and Rambus' memory had more) Does that make it better?

Second question: I think I'm going to buy the 760 chipset, what memory can I buy to that? And is it a nice type of memory or will it be a bottleneck?

Third question: Is it better, worse or no difference to buy two 256 Mb memories than one 512 Mb memory?

Thanks so much for any help!
///Gustav

G

1-if you want to use Rambus you should be looking at Pentium CPU's

2-760 chipsets work with DDR SDRAM which will give you more bang for your buck than Rambus

3-one memory chip is usually more stable than 2 or more

sudden unexpected cessation of computer activity with a sudden unexpected increase in user activity=

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think that DDR is your memory type of choice. As for brand, go with a trusted and well-known one, such as Crucial or Mushkin.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I will wait a little since nForce motherboard will be out this or next month. It will have an dual channel DDR interface and should be fastest memory interface for pc.

G

ditto!

sudden unexpected cessation of computer activity with a sudden unexpected increase in user activity=

G

Thanks for the nice replies, keep em coming! :)

I find myself in the situation of having to chooce between waiting a couple of months and get something better, or buy it now. Who hasn't? :)

Thing is I kinda need it now. So, question is, if I wait and get the double DDR memory nForce board, will I have destroyed a bottleneck? Is the speed of ordinary motherboards DDR interface a problem today?

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I would buy 2 256MB DDRAM DIMMs from a quality brand (Crucial...) and a ECS K75A (Sis735 chipset) mobo - as it is a cheap Socket A but with better performance than boards based upon previous chipsets (KT266, AMD760, Alimagik1 Rev A). So, if in the meantime the probably quite expensive nForce based mobos live up to the expectations you can upgrade without feeling much guilt over it :wink: .

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

G

Good tip. Just got one question...
How hard is it to change the motherboard?
I've been doing some hardware surgery the last 3-5 years, but I've never built a computer from scratch and never changed motherboard, so I got very little experience with them.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Well, it is not the easiest thing to do :wink: .

It is not really hard, but it takes some work - you take everything out of the case (except the drives), put the new mobo, and reconnect everything. As a side benefit, it is a great learning oportunity - it is a bit like doing all hardware changes in one intervention.

But the probability is that sooner or later you'll have to do a mobo change (unless you prefer to have someone doing it for you) - and it is better to do so for the first time in a moment of your choice.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Actually for graphics such as 3dsmax (which software will u be using?) the memory isn't a bottleneck, as it doesn;t care about bandwith, but rather FPU. Heck, I can render of teh hard drive instead of using RAM and get the exact same results in rendering speed.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

G

Oh really?
Didn't know that. Didn't know something like FPU existed. :) It's got something to do with the processor right? My question then is what kind of processor that got a good FPU. (AMD vs. Intel)

Is there anything else I should think of when buying a computer that is mainly going to be used for 3D graphics, using programs like Maya and 3D Studio Max but also 3D games?

What programs would look at the memory as a possible bottleneck?

Thanks!
///Parakoos

FatBurger

Illustrious
AMD has a better FPU at the moment.
Make sure you have a good video card, you'll need it.

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Rest in peace.</font color=green>