Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this a good upgrade?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 26, 2012 1:10:23 AM

currently have a stock lenovo k320 computer specs
i7-870 quad core 8 thread @2.93 ghz
8 gigs ddr3 1333mhz ram
radeon hd 5570
280 watt psu

and im upgrading to a new case which is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

new gfx card gtx 480:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i will be using same ram mobo and processor. do you think this setup will be able to run most games at 1920x1080 at ultra/high? im talking about games such as battlefield 3 skyrim dirt 3 diablo etc.
thanks for any help you can give.

More about : good upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 1:28:56 AM

Hell no... the GTX480 is HOOOOT it runs at almost 94°C (if not more) under full load and the fan sounds like a jet engine

Get a 7870 ---> http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx787acnfc which costs a bit more but consumes a LOT less power, runs cooler (~60-70 depending on the cooler of the card) and performs better
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 1:45:18 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

would this be a better card? twin460's? im aware it will run hot but im going to wire my case very nicely to get good airflow. and this card is only 180 bucks after a rebate. so what do you think? im not looking to spend over 200 bucks.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 2:17:48 AM

That card is 11.5" long, your case only supports ~10" cards besides.... the 7870 is only 20$ over your budget (after mailinrebate) and runs a lot cooler and with less power.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 2:36:55 AM

the 7870 wont run at ultra though will it? the twin gtx 460's looked like a stronger card benchmarking with the 580s. i could just get a different case and that problem would be solved. and that 650 watt psu should still be fine i think. im just looking for the best bang for my buck.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 2:47:31 AM

i do dew said:
the 7870 wont run at ultra though will it? the twin gtx 460's looked like a stronger card benchmarking with the 580s. i could just get a different case and that problem would be solved. and that 650 watt psu should still be fine i think. im just looking for the best bang for my buck.


Actually, in some games the GTX460 lags behind: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305 and the 7870 matches (sometimes looses and some times outperforms) the gtx 580: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/517?vs=548
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 3:27:03 AM

would you reccomend a gtx 480 then? im not interested in the 7870 as its a little over my budget. im really only looking to play bf3. thats what im aiming for. best bf3 gameplay for the best cost.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 3:55:20 AM

i do dew said:
would you reccomend a gtx 480 then? im not interested in the 7870 as its a little over my budget. im really only looking to play bf3. thats what im aiming for. best bf3 gameplay for the best cost.


Ouh... then a GTX card is better for BF3
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 4:03:14 AM

idroid said:
Ouh... then a GTX card is better for BF3


yeah so would you reccomend a 480 for my budget? i thought it had the best reviews etc and i think my case will be able to keep it cool enough. thats why i asked about the 460 2wins. but they wont fit and also my mobo wont support them. i appreciate all your help though. so would you reccomend a 480? would i be able to play on at 1920x1080 do you think?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 4:16:49 AM

i do dew said:
yeah so would you reccomend a 480 for my budget? i thought it had the best reviews etc and i think my case will be able to keep it cool enough. thats why i asked about the 460 2wins. but they wont fit and also my mobo wont support them. i appreciate all your help though. so would you reccomend a 480? would i be able to play on at 1920x1080 do you think?


Yeah... i say you get the 480 for a mere 20$ you can get a 7870, the GTX4602win FITS your motherboard, your motherboard can fit a 300" GPU if it uses PCIe slot, your case is the only limiting factor.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 4:21:31 AM

idroid said:
Yeah... i say you get the 480 for a mere 20$ you can get a 7870, the GTX4602win FITS your motherboard, your motherboard can fit a 300" GPU if it uses PCIe slot, your case is the only limiting factor.


nvidia cards outperform ati cards in bf3 is what i read though. from benchmarks i though it was the same. and my concern with the gtx460 2win was that alot of people had had trouble with getting both gpu's to function if they dont have a sli ready mobo which i dont. i dont want to risk getting a card and finding out that it wont run in my system because of that factor.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 4:43:11 AM

i do dew said:
nvidia cards outperform ati cards in bf3 is what i read though. from benchmarks i though it was the same. and my concern with the gtx460 2win was that alot of people had had trouble with getting both gpu's to function if they dont have a sli ready mobo which i dont. i dont want to risk getting a card and finding out that it wont run in my system because of that factor.


I am not sure if you need a SLI motherboard (altough I HIGLY doubt it) and don't listen to newegg reviews...they're wriitten by stupid people with no clue of what a computer is.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 5:18:45 AM

idroid said:
I am not sure if you need a SLI motherboard (altough I HIGLY doubt it) and don't listen to newegg reviews...they're wriitten by stupid people with no clue of what a computer is.


do you know of any way i could find out? I did some searching around but didnt see anything. Do you think the gtd 460 2win is better than the 480? And the 480 you would say is an alrtht card that could run bf3 right?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 5:22:59 AM

i do dew said:
do you know of any way i could find out? I did some searching around but didnt see anything. Do you think the gtd 460 2win is better than the 480? And the 480 you would say is an alrtht card that could run bf3 right?


Nah, you don't need a SLI motherboard, you're good to go!
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 2:36:18 PM

alright, so you would recomend the 2win? and you think it would play bf3 alright? ill just have to find a different case then :D 
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 2:49:53 PM

i do dew said:
currently have a stock lenovo k320 computer specs
i7-870 quad core 8 thread @2.93 ghz
8 gigs ddr3 1333mhz ram
radeon hd 5570
280 watt psu

and im upgrading to a new case which is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

new gfx card gtx 480:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i will be using same ram mobo and processor. do you think this setup will be able to run most games at 1920x1080 at ultra/high? im talking about games such as battlefield 3 skyrim dirt 3 diablo etc.
thanks for any help you can give.


That case is ricer as hell. This 'upgrade' is absolute ***. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fBxx Take this setup for example. Nice case, simple, no side window for stupid lights, front swings open ambidextrously to access disc drives, and once again, isnt ricer as hell. Post that setup to /g/ and youd be laughed at so much, youd happily kill yourself, to the delight of everyone. ****** GNU people thinking life is all about ultra settings on *** setups... Mid quality is where its at, getting best frames vs quality. Go back to 9fag.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 2:53:57 PM

Anononominon said:
That case is ricer as hell. This 'upgrade' is absolute ***. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fBxx Take this setup for example. Nice case, simple, no side window for stupid lights, front swings open ambidextrously to access disc drives, and once again, isnt ricer as hell. Post that setup to /g/ and youd be laughed at so much, youd happily kill yourself, to the delight of everyone. ****** GNU people thinking life is all about ultra settings on *** setups... Mid quality is where its at, getting best frames vs quality. Go back to 9fag.


no need to be an ass, i just asked for a little help. im not made of money... so the case was not expensive, there for looked good to me, also has good cable management. and just because someone doesnt like my upgrades im not going to hang myself. i was hopeing someone here would know more than me and i could help out. i dont have 1900 bucks to spend on a computer considering im in highschool and my parents dont buy my stuff. anyways if you have any advice on whats better that would be appreciated.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 3:19:19 PM

I would get the 7870
media.bestofmicro.com/P/M/328810/original/BF3%201920.png
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 2:38:56 AM

Anononominon said:
That case is ricer as hell. This 'upgrade' is absolute ***. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fBxx Take this setup for example. Nice case, simple, no side window for stupid lights, front swings open ambidextrously to access disc drives, and once again, isnt ricer as hell. Post that setup to /g/ and youd be laughed at so much, youd happily kill yourself, to the delight of everyone. ****** GNU people thinking life is all about ultra settings on *** setups... Mid quality is where its at, getting best frames vs quality. Go back to 9fag.


Besides being a freaking jerk you're being a complete freaking retard:

*The motherboard is not worth it, there is NO market for ~200$ motherboards, you either get a budget (80-140$) motherboard or a high-end motherboard like a Asus Rampage X79 extreme.

*Why the F would you buy 1333Mhz RAM?? 1600Mhz increases your fps by almost 5fps (after 1600mhz latencies kill the whole thing so there is no point in going beyond that)

*Seagate barracudas HDDs are very unreliable and for that price he can get a 2TB drive ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-driv... ) or a QUALITY 1TB drive like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 or a Caviar Blue.

*a 7950 gets raped by the GTX660ti in BF3 which is the primary game the op wants to run.

*The OP is struggling to get a ~300ish$ upgrade (no offense OP) what makes you think he has a HIGH END sound system that need a sound card? specially a cheap ass card like the HT Omega, if you want true soundcard get a Asus Xonar.

*For 150$ he can get a MUCH better looking case with a lot more airflow and space for tons of upgrades like the HAF X, HAF 932, NZXT Phantom, Bitfenix colosus, Bitfenix Shinobi XL (like your shirt size) or a Cooler Master
Storm Stryker and a lot more cases.

*850w PSU???? are you high??? that system will BARELY consume ~450w under FULL LOAD and even with a second card the TDP will increase 190w (~500w under tipical load, ~620 while gaming and 700 under FULL load.)

*The OP didn't asked for a Blu-ray reader, why did you included it?

*you have never gamed in a 27" screen right? the pixels are VERY big, 27" gaming must be done in 3D mode or at 2.5Ft away.

*Who dafuq are you to decide what looks stupid and what not? a lot of people like windowed cases with lights, nothing wrong with that.

*mid quality your ass, i game @2560x1600 on ULTRA SETTINGS AND AA+AF+High res mods+ unofficial mods with dual 7970s, if you don't have the money for that system but jealousy to critique it without testing you should go kill yourself.
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 3:19:08 AM

thank you idroid. ive been doing some searching, looking at benchmarks etc. and im leaning at the gtx 660 ti 2gb card ( this one is the one i was thinking of, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). i figured spening the extra 100 dollars would give me better performance and it would future proof me a little more, later on in a year or two if it lacks standard i would be able to sli them and get more performance. do you think this card is a good one? or would you reccomend the 7870 over this? and do you think that case is a good one? i really want the good cable management so i can achieve great airflow to keep everything cool, as i do video editing but would love to move onto gaming :D 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 3:35:34 AM

i do dew said:
thank you idroid. ive been doing some searching, looking at benchmarks etc. and im leaning at the gtx 660 ti 2gb card ( this one is the one i was thinking of, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). i figured spening the extra 100 dollars would give me better performance and it would future proof me a little more, later on in a year or two if it lacks standard i would be able to sli them and get more performance. do you think this card is a good one? or would you reccomend the 7870 over this? and do you think that case is a good one? i really want the good cable management so i can achieve great airflow to keep everything cool, as i do video editing but would love to move onto gaming :D 


Yep, the GTX660ti is even better than the GTX4602win, altough you might want to overclock your CPU a little... :D 
Share
August 27, 2012 3:49:47 AM

im not really sure how to do that. im always worried with overclocking since my friend set his gfx card (radeon 5770) on fire... well not fire but it smoked and like sparked... maybe i'll look into it lol. but anyways would you say the 660ti is more future proof and worth saving the extra 100 dollars? and would a 600 watt psu still be sufficient?
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 3:53:31 AM

oh and one more question. my board is a pic express x16 2.1. would the 3.0 fit in the slot? i dont want to find out the card does not fit or work.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 4:02:32 AM

i do dew said:
oh and one more question. my board is a pic express x16 2.1. would the 3.0 fit in the slot? i dont want to find out the card does not fit or work.


Yes, it will work, don't worry about that buddy.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 4:08:37 AM

i do dew said:
im not really sure how to do that. im always worried with overclocking since my friend set his gfx card (radeon 5770) on fire... well not fire but it smoked and like sparked... maybe i'll look into it lol. but anyways would you say the 660ti is more future proof and worth saving the extra 100 dollars? and would a 600 watt psu still be sufficient?


Buddy, there is no such thing as future proofing, if you want to buy something now do not buy it thinking "how long is it gonna last" because today's products are manufactured to become obsolete after 3 years so he have to buy something new (bla bla bla...capitalism *** :lol: ) anyways... i am more than sure that the 660ti will be more than enough for BF3 (i know it for fact) so you don't have to worry about that.

Either your friend didn't do enough research about overclocking or he is just mentally retarded (with offense) overclocking (if done right) its not harmfull, you MUST take things slow when overclocking and it takes a fairly long time (because you have to test a lot) lets say your CPU is clocked @3Ghz.... you have to increase the clock to 3.2 and to a 15minute test on prime 95...then you raise it again (3.5Ghz) and again and again (making sure your temps NEVER go past beyond 75°C...that's a why an aftermet CPU cooler is needed for overclocking) and you're gonna hit a point where the CPU is not stable so if you wanna keep overclocking you have to raise the voltage, lets say your CPU is unstable @4Ghz with 1.3v on the core.... you raise the voltage to 1.35 (increasing voltage highly increases temperature so an even more aggresive cooler is needed) and set the clock to 4.2Ghz....or something like that, do a small research before you try anything and buy an after market cooler (212 EVO is the most common choice)
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 1:41:43 PM

alright thank you for the help. it looks like ill get the 660ti. i appreciated all your help idroid.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 2:55:44 PM

i do dew said:
alright thank you for the help. it looks like ill get the 660ti. i appreciated all your help idroid.


you're welcome buddy, just pick a best answer
m
0
l
August 28, 2012 12:14:48 AM

Best answer selected by i do dew.
m
0
l
August 28, 2012 12:14:52 AM

im going with the azza tech toledo. i liked it the best. thank you for youre help. picking a best answer now. i appreciate it idroid you helped alot.
m
0
l
!