9800gt vs xfx hd5670

abhirazor

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hey guys i need some help....I am from India and posting for the first time here.I am a little more than a casual gamer.I am not well acquainted with the technicals of computer hardware.Back in 2010 i wanted to buy a pc for gaming and a friend of mine said that his brother actually assembled computers for a living.Now i gave him the job for assembling one..Now it was not a high end pc which extreme gamers use as i had to fit it in my budget..It was a simple one.Here are the specs-:
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @2.93 GHz
RAM-4.00 GB DDR3
XFX Nvidia Geforce 9800gt 512MB
Intex-450W SMPS
22inch Samsung Monitor
My friend gave me a whole lot of games including Batman arkham asylum,Gta4,Modern warfare 3,resident evil 5,mass effect2..They all worked really smooth and great..For a guy like me who still likes to play san andreas today..graphics of above games were like heaven..i never touched the graphics options of any games..I would play on default settings.but gta4 showed some lagging probs and i tried to checkup in the graphic settings..it went ok..my default screen resolution is 1920*1080..In about 2011 june when i played mod warfare 2 on 1980 resolution my pc would crash,restart and screen would fill with random pixels..i checked up on the internet and saw something about 9800gt overheating problems..so i went into the xfx store to claim warranty so they replaced my card for another 9800gt...this new card failed within a month showing same problems..then again i searched on the internet and found that maybe my card cannot survive working with all high settings and high resolution..so i replaced even this card with another 9800gt..from then i played every single game on about 1440 resolution and either medium or low settings including arkham city,assassins revelations,mass effect 3 with no probs..but my friend said that he played all those games on high with no probs for over 1 and a half year..his card was ati radeon hd4850 and is still working..his default screen resolution is 1440..so i tried to play bulletstorm on 1920 res with all other settings low 'cause i was still scared of frying my card again..but surprisingly it worked..and i completed the game 4-5 times with no problems..but then i tried mafia 2..I checked settings and the game set default settings as 1920 resolution and other settings high or medium..i did not touch a thing..worked so freakin smooth for about 2 days and alas after 2 days it struck again..while playing mafia my pc just shut down on its own and would not start..i called the technician and he checked it all ..he removed the card and the pc would turn on..again he placed the card and pc would not start..we did it about 2-3 times..so finally i got it that my card is dead becoz of my stupidity...now i am fed up with this sh*t and hoping to buy a new card..My budget is thin so after doing a lot of research i found this card XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1gb ddr3 fits my budget range..
What are your suggestions guys i need some advices..I intend to play games on 1440 resolution..is above card suitable for my pc..Would this card perform close to 9800gt performance??any comments are welcome..Sorry for such a long post...Thank you

abhirazor

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

Rs.4500 is the price of gddr5 512mb or 1gb??

The two are roughly equal in performance till one considers overclocking and memory type. The GDDR3 version 5670 is slower but the rare GGDR5 version is neck to neck performance wise. 9800gt is easy to find. I would go for the 1GB version as it can handle modern games better than the 512mb version could.

Just one thing to tell you: high settings and high resolution WILL NOT fry any card. It's silly at the very least to think that. It might die due to overheating, which happens if you have a lot of dust inside your PC or very bad air flow (like covering your case with something, like books or whatever).

abhirazor

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

But i heard 9800gt has overheating problems and also it consumes more power than hd5670..
what would be the price of 1gb ddr5 version of hd5670??

abhirazor

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

but my card suffered from overheating in roughly just 5 months..and when i removed the case for removing the card there was not that much dust deposition..

All modern cards have a risk for overheating depending on the conditions. A 9800gt is easily fixed when it comes to cooling.

abhirazor

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

so what exactly should i do to avoid overheating??
also is my 450W psu enough to power 9800gt??
and what exactly are the conditions causing overheating??