Your question

New build getting any power.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2012 3:04:24 AM

I've just put together my first build, and have ran into a problem. When i put together the mobo, cpu, cooler, ram and psu outside of the case, the thing booted fine, and i got the mobo splash screen. Now that it is in the case with everything else installed, it won't power up. And i mean nothing happens, no lights, no fans, no beeps, nothing at all. I have tried pressing both the mobo power switch and the case power switch, with and without the front panel connectors etc. I have gone through the troubleshooting guide, and everything is good (I couldn't check the bios/beeps part because it doesn't power at all). Any suggestions?? I'm thinking it might be a power supply fault.

More about : build power

August 26, 2012 4:43:56 AM

Did you install the standoffs in the case before attaching the mobo?

If you wanted to see if the PSU would work at all, unplug the PSU from everything, and use a paper clip between the green and black wire, and see if the fan on the PSU spins up. If the fan spins up, it suggests a problem with something other than the PSU. If it doesn't spin up, then the PSU is either broken or not getting power...

When everything is plugged in, even when the board isn't on, one LED on the motherboard will probably be on, assuming everything is working...
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:05:23 AM

Where are the green and black wires??? And i don't see any LEDs at all. I have an asrock extreme6, which has 10 standoffs, which i made sure to install, so it's not that.
m
l
August 26, 2012 9:45:50 PM

On the PSU's 24-pin cable. If you got one of them that likes to be all ninja-like with black wires only, you won't be able to do this easily...
m
l
!