foolman555

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi,
I have a minecraft server that is quite large. It is getting full and is getting quite alot of donations.
I currently have a fx-4100 OC, 970a-d3, 16gb 1600mhz ram. This can hold roughly 50 slots.
I was looking to upgrade this server with a custom built server.
Would i be looking at a server motherboard or a desktop motherboard and the same with the cpu.
I would be looking to get ram if needed and psu.
Can you please provide links to the systems so i can get a rough idea.
Would more gigabit ports make the server faster also?

Thanks!

Would i need a bigger psu: 550w?

Solution
It might help, but probably not significantly. I think that simply getting a single Gigabit Ethernet port on a PCIe x1 card would be an improvement over a 100MB port, but it isn't going to affect performance, just how good the network connection is. It would mean more bandwidth and maybe lower latency. It would help a lot more if the people using your server are on your home network than it would if they are connecting to it through the internet, but it might help somewhat even if it's through the internet.
The FX-8120 and the other FX-81xx CPUs are the same. The only differences are the voltage and clock frequency settings. You can change them manually on the 8120, but if you want to pay for AMD to change them for you, that's your choice. It just seems like a waste of money to me.

Also, unless your mobo doesn't support 125w CPUs, it doesn't need to be upgraded. If it lacks gigabit Ethernet, then it would be a lot cheaper to simply get a PCIe to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. Upgrading the mobo for any other reason isn't going to really help anything related to performance except maybe how far you can overclock the CPU which doesn't seem important to you anyway.

It might help, but probably not significantly. I think that simply getting a single Gigabit Ethernet port on a PCIe x1 card would be an improvement over a 100MB port, but it isn't going to affect performance, just how good the network connection is. It would mean more bandwidth and maybe lower latency. It would help a lot more if the people using your server are on your home network than it would if they are connecting to it through the internet, but it might help somewhat even if it's through the internet.

Solution