Sign in with
Your question

Need Help!! 1000 budget! Need help with build

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2012 4:13:09 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: in about 1 month

Budget Range: 900-1000 after rebates/ shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school work, video editing, watiching movies , etc

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, it can be a 20 inch( cheap one)

Parts to Upgrade: Need everything!!

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon

Parts Preferences: I would like to get intel core i5-2500k or + and good graphic card , but not that expensive

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire:not sure what this is

Your Monitor Resolution: i want these resolutions 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080

Additional Comments: i want a cool gaming pc, that looks good , and works super good! im only 16 years old and this is my first time building a pc

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Im only updating because my laptop doesnt run the games i like for example , crysis 2, wow, battlefield 3, and thos cool games so i want to get a new one!!

More about : 1000 budget build

August 26, 2012 4:54:53 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($317.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $835.77
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-26 00:56 EDT-0400)

Here's a very modest build. These are JUST parts, however, no monitor or OS included.

I'm not sure if you needed an OS or not so I did not include that. However, this configuration will most likely kick any games butts without a sweat! :) 
m
l
August 26, 2012 5:40:55 AM

mocchan build is very good altough i'd...

*Change the motherboard to an Asus P8Z77V-LK

*Change the case for a HAF 912

*That RAM is way too tall, it will not fit under the 212 EVO so you're gonna have to get a lop profile kit like this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/gskill-memory-f31600c...

The rest is fine!
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2012 5:46:14 AM

idroid said:
mocchan build is very good altough...

*Change the motherboard to an Asus P8Z77V-LK

*Change the case for a HAF 912

*That RAM is way too tall, it will not fit under the 212 EVO so you're gonna have to get a lop profile kit like this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/gskill-memory-f31600c...

The rest is fine!

I would argue about the motherboard and RAM...I haven't heard very good things about the G.Skill ARES, so I will personally recommend Low Profile Corsair Vengeance RAM.

The motherboard you have selected isn't very well geared towards overclocking. You could achieve very mild overclocks, but anything past 4.2Ghz wouldn't be very doable IMO. (More power phases on the board I chose).

I won't comment on the case since each person has their preference :)  the HAF 912 is an excellent choice for its price point, however.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:06:55 AM

mocchan said:
I would argue about the motherboard and RAM...I haven't heard very good things about the G.Skill ARES, so I will personally recommend Low Profile Corsair Vengeance RAM.

The motherboard you have selected isn't very well geared towards overclocking. You could achieve very mild overclocks, but anything past 4.2Ghz wouldn't be very doable IMO. (More power phases on the board I chose).

*I haven't heard anything bad about the G.skill ares, actully, a lot of people have recommended it

*The CPU is more important when overclocking, you can have a Asus Ramoage IV with a 3930k (3.2) and it might become unstable @3.5, motherboards play an important role when overclocking but its waaaaay more smaller than the CPU quality role
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:13:33 AM

idroid said:
*I haven't heard anything bad about the G.skill ares, actully, a lot of people have recommended it

*The CPU is more important when overclocking, you can have a Asus Ramoage IV with a 3930k (3.2) and it might become unstable @3.5, motherboards play an important role when overclocking but its waaaaay more smaller than the CPU quality role

ASUS Boards are known to have extremely high quality, that's a given. However, since OP said he will consider OCing, I will stay firm with my decision of the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 mobo due to it's beefier power delivery system.

Also, what do you mean by 'CPU quality role'? From what I understand, every CPU is different and each will OC differently, so there can't be a 'quality'. Motherboards play the big role when OCing IMO.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:31:19 AM

fpoon said:
Guys, he can't buy from Newegg or Microcenter, because:
1. Newegg charges sales tax in California.
2. The Microcenter in Santa Clara was just taken down.

To us.ncix.com I go! (no taxes hopefully) :lol: 
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:31:31 AM

Guys, he can't buy from Newegg or Microcenter, because:
1. Newegg charges sales tax in California.
2. The Microcenter in Santa Clara was just taken down.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:34:32 AM

mocchan said:
To us.ncix.com I go! (no taxes hopefully) :lol: 

NCIX works fine. I use it or Amazon all the time.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:37:03 AM

Glad to know :) 

@ OP

New parts list coming.
m
l
August 26, 2012 6:49:34 AM

i5 3570k+ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Combo - http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71651&vpn=BX80637I5357...

G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz RAM - http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57953

XFX Core 550w PSU - http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59615

Hyper 212 EVO - http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64385

LG DVD Burner - http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60857&promoid...

MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon HD7950 - http://www.amazon.com/MSI-R7950-TWIN-FROZR-3GD5/dp/B007...

WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-D...

CM Elite 430 Case - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-All-Black-...

Grand Total - $1089.82

It's a little over budget, but this is the best bang/buck route I would personally take. I wish I could have squeezed in an SSD, but I just couldn't compromise enough to make it fit.

I went with a Radeon HD7950 due to how well it performs and how much it costs due to the recent AMD price cuts. I wished I could have squeezed in a GTX670, however.
m
l
August 26, 2012 7:25:08 AM

That case you linked Mocchan is the HAF 912, not the CM Elite 430.
m
l
August 26, 2012 4:32:30 PM

azeem40 said:
That case you linked Mocchan is the HAF 912, not the CM Elite 430.

Woops thank you for pointing that out, last night I had trouble seeing apparently :lol: 
m
l
August 27, 2012 2:24:04 AM

mocchan said:
Also, what do you mean by 'CPU quality role'? From what I understand, every CPU is different and each will OC differently, so there can't be a 'quality'. Motherboards play the big role when OCing IMO.

lol, it isn't about opinions...its about facts:

*The CPU is waaaaay more important because it must be stable in order to function correctly.

*IB TDP is low (77w for the 3570k) and the motherboard MUST be able to deliver AT LEAST 95w (i7 3770k) and even if the LK has less power phases, i am sure they will deliver more power than what's necesary to sustain a 5Ghz overclock (that's if the CPU is stable with acceptable temps which is HIGLY unlikely on IB)
m
l
August 27, 2012 2:32:24 AM

idroid said:
lol, it isn't about opinions...its about facts:

*The CPU is waaaaay more important because it must be stable in order to function correctly.

*IB TDP is low (77w for the 3570k) and the motherboard MUST be able to deliver AT LEAST 95w (i7 3770k) and even if the LK has less power phases, i am sure they will deliver more power than what's necesary to sustain a 5Ghz overclock (that's if the CPU is stable with acceptable temps which is HIGLY unlikely on IB)

Facts? The ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Mobo has an 8+4 Power phase...look at the ASUS P8Z77-V LK, it's much skimpier (What is it anyway? 2+1?). And to be honest, I wouldn't overclock with it at all.

TDP is insignificant as almost every Z77 board can provide support for any i7 Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge chip, that does NOT mean it will provide enough stable power to overclock.

Also I find it funny you mention that the CPU has to be stable in order to function, yet what provides the stability the CPU needs? The motherboard. Insufficient power to the CPU = one of the many roots of stability. If your motherboard can't provide enough power, your CPU will be unstable to the depths of ****.

Another thing, you enforce 'facts' strongly yet you are not seeing the real facts here, more power phases = better for overclocking. Not to mention the ASUS board is the same price as the ASRock... ASRock = same price (maybe $10 more expensive) and it's a known FACT that it overclocks well.

m
l
August 27, 2012 2:51:29 AM

mocchan said:
Facts? The ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Mobo has an 8+4 Power phase...look at the ASUS P8Z77-V LK, it's much skimpier (What is it anyway? 2+1?). And to be honest, I wouldn't overclock with it at all.

TDP is insignificant as almost every Z77 board can provide support for any i7 Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge chip, that does NOT mean it will provide enough stable power to overclock.

Also I find it funny you mention that the CPU has to be stable in order to function, yet what provides the stability the CPU needs? The motherboard. Insufficient power to the CPU = one of the many roots of stability. If your motherboard can't provide enough power, your CPU will be unstable to the depths of ****.

Another thing, you enforce 'facts' strongly yet you are not seeing the real facts here, more power phases = better for overclocking. Not to mention the ASUS board is the same price as the ASRock... ASRock = same price (maybe $10 more expensive) and it's a known FACT that it overclocks well.

That's BS, an overclocked i5 3570k @4.3 and 1.3V (which is kinda high) consumes only 105w UNDER FULL LOAD, which is only 10w more than the 95w "limit" the motherboard should handle.

whats provides stability in a CPU is the MANUFACTURING QUALITY, some CPUs might be unstable @ 100Mhz over its rated frequency while another one (same model) can be perfectly stable when its overclocked to 1ghz over its rated frequency in the same motherboard
m
l
August 27, 2012 3:03:05 AM

idroid said:
That's BS, an overclocked i5 3570k @4.3 and 1.3V (which is kinda high) consumes only 105w UNDER FULL LOAD, which is only 10w more than the 95w "limit" the motherboard should handle.

whats provides stability in a CPU is the MANUFACTURING QUALITY, some CPUs might be unstable @ 100Mhz over its rated frequency while another one (same model) can be perfectly stable when its overclocked to 1ghz over its rated frequency in the same motherboard

To be honest, manufacturing quality is pretty consistent for almost every CPU that's out there. Some chips may overclock better than others, they call it the "Silicon Lottery" for a reason don't they? And what you said about the '100Mhz over its rated frequency' is pretty insignificant IMO.

Are there any i5 3570k's that can't overclock to at least 4.5Ghz? I don't think so, most 3570k's are achieving 4.6Ghz+ while the i7 3770k counterparts are usually averaging around 4.5Ghz-4.6Ghz. There's always that small chance of getting a chip that won't overclock AT ALL, but I'm sure Intel has a way of testing that out. Gotta love binning eh?

What I'm talking about is not the "limit" of the motherboard, rather the "stability" the motherboard can provide at that much voltage. I'm sure the ASUS board you linked with only 3 Power phases can OC just fine, but for how long? And how stable is the power? Those are the questions which I want you to provide. If you provide me with information and statistics that they can provide OC's of 4.3Ghz (or higher, really, since this only a very mild OC) with 1.3v stable for 24/7, then I will back down and apologize for my mistakes and lack of knowledge.

Now I'm going to steer a little off topic here, but I know for a FACT that a Biostar A880G+ motherboard (you can check out the power phases and the TDP support of the motherboard if you wish) will NOT overclock very well. My brother could only achieve a 3.5Ghz on his Phenom II X4 955 @ 1.38v.

Once he upgraded his motherboard to a Gigabye GA970A-UD3, he reached OC's of 4Ghz with 1.4v with the SAME CHIP. Now would you call that the CPU being 'unstable' or the motherboard being 'unstable'? The motherboard he had first has only 3+1 power phases, while the Gigabyte he upgraded to has 8+2.

BOTH of these motherboards support 125w CPU's. The only difference being the Power Phase and if they had heatsinks on their mosfets or not (crucial for OCing as well TBH).
m
l
August 27, 2012 3:11:38 AM

mocchan said:
To be honest, manufacturing quality is pretty consistent for almost every CPU that's out there. Some chips may overclock better than others, they call it the "Silicon Lottery" for a reason don't they? And what you said about the ''100Mhz over its rated frequency" is pretty insignificant IMO.

Are there any i5 3570k's that can't overclock to at least 4.5Ghz? I don't think so, most 3570k's are achieving 4.6Ghz+ while the i7 3770k counterparts are usually averaging around 4.5Ghz-4.6Ghz. There's always that small chance of getting a chip that won't overclock AT ALL, but I'm sure Intel has a way of testing that out. Gotta love binning eh?

What I'm talking about is not the "limit" of the motherboard, rather the "stability" the motherboard can provide at that much voltage. I'm sure the ASUS board you linked with only 3 Power phases can OC just fine, but for how long? And how stable is the power? Those are the questions which I want you to provide. If you provide me with information and statistics that they can provide OC's of 4.3Ghz (or higher, really, since this only a very mild OC) with 1.3v stable for 24/7, then I will back down and apologize for my mistakes and lack of knowledge.

Now I'm going to steer a little off topic here, but I know for a FACT that a Biostar A880G+ motherboard (you can check out the power phases and the TDP support of the motherboard if you wish) will NOT overclock very well. My brother could only achieve a 3.5Ghz on his Phenom II X4 955 @ 1.38v.

Once he upgraded his motherboard to a Gigabye GA970A-UD3, he reached OC's of 4Ghz with 1.4v with the SAME CHIP. Now would you call that the CPU being 'unstable' or the motherboard being 'unstable'? The motherboard he had first has only 3+1 power phases, while the Gigabyte he upgraded to has 8+2.

BOTH of these motherboards support 125w CPU's. The only difference being the Power Phase and if they had heatsinks on their mosfets or not (crucial for OCing as well TBH).

*Again, your opinion doesn't really matter (no offense) but facts do, and yes, just like you said, there are CPU that can not be overclocked at all (even if they are K rated) so my "100Mhz over its rated frequency" argument is not invalid.

*i am pretty sure that there are a few 3570k that can't be overclocked at all, intel DOES NOT care if the CPU doesn't support overclocking, they test their chips under the frequency in which they will be sold and trust in their manufacturing quality (which is damn good) to stamp a "K" rating in their CPUs.

*Sure, let me just get a voltage tester and overclock an i5 3570k to 4.5Ghz with the voltage tester connected directly to the motherboards power phases and if there is a 0.00000001 voltage drop over time i will let you know!

Edit: i just said that to keep the fight going but i support the Z77 Extreme 4 and a Asus P8Z77V-lK because i am sure they will both overclock well and they have very similar prices...altough the Extreme 4 is 3" thinner and that something to do with GPU support in SLI or CF.... i don't renember where i read that.

m
l
August 27, 2012 3:14:02 AM

idroid said:
*Again, your opinion doesn't really matter (no offense) but facts do, and yes, just like you said, there are CPU that can not be overclocked at all (even if they are K rated) so my "100Mhz over its rated frequency" argument is not invalid.

*i am pretty sure that there are a few 3570k that can't be overclocked at all, intel DOES NOT care if the CPU doesn't support overclocking, they test their chips under the frequency in which they will be sold and trust in their manufacturing quality (which is damn good) to stamp a "K" rating in their CPUs.

*Sure, let me just get a voltage tester and overclock an i5 3570k to 4.5Ghz with the voltage tester connected directly to the motherboards power phases and if there is a 0.00000001 voltage drop over time i will let you know!

To be honest, I don't really care if my opinions don't matter or not :)  I'm just adding input to this thread.

And to be honest, if you can do that, go ahead, it would be a great piece of information for all the people looking to buy your particular board for OCing. Your board is cheaper than the Extreme 4 Z77, and if it can overclock better or just as well, why not buy it?

@ OP

My recommendation of the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 still remains solid.
m
l
August 27, 2012 11:13:37 PM

There we go, an argument in the forums.
m
l
August 27, 2012 11:38:42 PM

fpoon said:
There we go, an argument in the forums.

I would prefer to call it a heated debate :)  I wasn't trying to insult him nor was he trying to insult me (I would think)
m
l
!