Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 965BE Installed- PROBLEMS

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2013 5:27:13 PM

Hi everyone.

Bottom line,I have just installed a new AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz quad(it's showing 4ghz on core temp and windows index) Black Edition, upgraded from my Athlon 64 x2 chip. I have an am2+ mobo, that was flashed for am3 by previous user for his 6 core.

The installation was correct, no problem booting etc, temperatures all good, but I am getting constant crashes on programs that were absolutely fine yesterday and from before. Even firefox crashes, but mainly a few games like Prince of Persia and Warframe as examples. Both of these games run absolutely fine before the new install.

I did a SiSandra check, and it came up at the end of the spec saying ' FSB exceeds Chipset rated speed - reduce FSB', 'memory hole may not be required-check bios settings' 'tpm not detected'. Sisandra also did not recognise the Phenom, still listing the athlon?

Now, the only thing that springs to mind is that, as this is a Black edition, it may be already in overclock - the specs are showing it as a 4ghz whereas as standard it should a 3.4ghz. I have not manually overclocked it, but could it have done this because the mobo has flashed bios for a 6 core or something?

If anyone could help, it would be great, as it was running perfectly stable before the new cpu was installed.

Thanks

Quick spec: ASrock mobo am2+(flashed to am3); Phenom ii x4 965BE; Arctic Freezer fan; ocz 750w psu;130gb hdd; Nvidia Geforce GT240;6 gb ddr2 cosrair ram

a c 98 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 6:05:54 PM

what is the motherboard model? doesn't sound like the motherboard reading the cpu correctly.
Can you get into the bios to see the settings is correct?
January 9, 2013 6:30:10 PM

Mobo model is ASrock k10n78 FullHD-hsli .Am2+ , but my mate flashed bios previously for a 6 core. Ran absolutely fine with the duo core.

I can get to the bios, but not sure what to look for.If i press f2, In the first blue screen, the mobo is reading the Phenom and states 3.4ghz. But everything else, like windows index and coretemp etc, are saying 4 ghz.

It's got to something to do with this right? It should be at the default 3.4 upon install. I havent overclocked at all.

Thanks
Related resources
a c 98 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 7:50:38 PM

in the bios go under advance and see maybe the previous user overclock the settings.
Should be auto on most settings.
a c 146 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 9:34:10 PM

Resetting your bios should be step 1.
January 10, 2013 7:26:47 AM

Ok Thanks guys. I've reset the bios and the cpu is back to 3.4ghz and running stable so far.

Solved(I hope):) 
!