How many fans should be enough?

jaspwns

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Heys guys, I had a quick question. How many fans in my case should be enough? I have 5 fans atm, and my case is the ATX Aeolus. Im running the :
i5 3450
Radeon 7850
750W PSU.

The case comes with 5, and 2 from the GPU, and 1 from the Processor. Is that more than enough or should i get more to keep it cool?

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

I have the Super Aeolus, but it's basically the same thing. My case only came with the front fan, while I believe that the standard Aeolus comes with however many you got. I filled every fan space with some coolermaster sickleflows that I got a deal on, and run them pretty slow. It keeps it pretty chill in there. I do have the side fan and the additional front fan installed as well.

I'm running an i7 3770k and a gigabyte gtx 670. I managed to cram a Noctua NH-D14 into it, but it's a tight fit. I actually had to replace one of the window fasteners to get something that isn't as long.

If you are really nervous about heat, you can run them at full speed but you may have a bit of a vacuum cleaner. Playing Far Cry 3 for a few hours (1920x1080p, cranked) at stock clocks has the video card stable at 58c and the cpu around 40-45c. Mind you, the cooler is ridiculous, and the gtx 670's cooling is sexy as well. I just built this system, so I haven't had a chance to overclock it yet. I'll be doing that this weekend.

So, TL:DR using all fan slots at low speed, sexy temperatures

xa376

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Well to answer your question in one word "one". All you NEED is a fan over the heat sink for your CPU. But if you want to know what you need for reasonable airflow I would say one fan for heat sink, one on front of case, one on back of case, and one on top. That would be pretty sufficient. To answer your other question, yes that is more than good enough. Should produce very nice airflow.