NVIDIA GTX 460 Black Screen

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hello all,

I have been having this issue for the past months and it's getting more and more annoying.
Very often, when I'm playing a game and I decide to ALT-TAB to desktop my computer freezes... No annoying sound whatsoever, it just goes black and the only way out is to hard reset.

I heard it could be memory related, but I ran a memtest86 for like 14 hours and it reported as "all tests passed".

Now here's the thing... I remember something similar used to happen, but the PC wouldn't crash. A small notification baloon on the bottom right used to pop-up and say: " NVIDIA display driver kernel crashed and was reset automatically", and I never saw that pop-up notification ever again...

Once it crashes and reboots it handles everything fine for the remaining play hours. Then next day, here we go again...

Here are my specs:
i7 950 @ 3.0
GTX 460 1GB
12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
PSU Corsair HX-650W Modular

The machine used to be very, very stable. I have just updated the drivers for the 301 NVIDIA drivers (all this issues were under 295 and 275) but I don't believe it's related as it ran most of the time under the 275 drivers (like a whole year, running fine)

I'll post updates as I'll measure temps under load (I used to take a bit more care of my machine a couple of years ago, but I still clean it once in a while to keep thins cool.

All suggestions/tips are welcome; thanks in advance!

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hi ct1615, I am sorry for the delay and the mess...
What I meant was, I had this card working stable for a year or so using both the 275 and 295 NVIDIA drivers. Then a couple of months ago things started to go bad (with the 295 - stable drivers at the time) and my PC would crash in 3D applications. I have recently installed the 301 NVIDIA drivers, but I'm out of luck. The crash happens in the exact same way. I decided to open the case and by putting my hand over the video card, I noticed it was incredibly hot. Room temperature gets a bit warm here, so I think it could be related with the temperature. I haven't ever opened the video card to clean it, but I think I just might check the heatsink and such.

I will tell you guys how it goes if I don't break anything.

Thanks.

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
I'm still stuck here guys, I have another theory now...
I opened the card, nothing unusual with the stock applied thermal paste. Either way I decided to reapply and start monitoring my actions.

I installed the MSI Afterburner to speed my fan to 100% during my trials. I opened After Effects and started tweaking with it, and boom... Crash at 32º. I know my card limits are way above that, so now I'm thinking I may have corrupted VRAM?

It happened way more often in After Effects than any other game (about 3 times today, after pre-rendering any composition).

I'm googling right now to see what I can find, but this is new to me, so any diagnosis tools you might know for testing out the GPU would help a lot... Back then I wouldn't mind to buy a new graphics card, but nowadays, if I can save the money, I will!

DM186

Splendid
Use the MSI Kombustor or some other stress testing your GPU. I will link you to a few. Have you tried rolling your drivers back to a non beta driver? The 280.26 is a non beta driver.

How old is your system? What is your PSU wattage and brand? Good luck.

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/browse.php?c=18

Here is a little tool that might help in finding something that is causing your problem.

http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.html

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Thank you for all the input DM186!

My machine is about a year and a half. I assembled it myself, not knowing if the PSU was enough, so it could be a possibility that my GPU got tired of working under its requirements, but I heard that it was a fairly decent PSU.
It's a Corsair HX-650W Modular.

Just an update, I've been searching here and there, and I found some people complaining about a conflict between the GTX 460 and the EVGA X58 Realtek HD Audio Drivers... To be honest, I would say my crashes started when I installed those drivers (which are not required anyway, but provide some extra features). I uninstalled them and I've updated my chipset drivers to the latest and I was able to go on about two hours or so in After Effects, and I was able to render the same composition like 6 times in different formats! I know it's still soon to consider my issue resolved, but hopefully it's fixed.

Thanks again for the tools, I'll post an update for the next day or two.

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Guys, I think it's safe to say my issue is fixed! It's been two consecutive days without crashing (the same crashing that would happen like three times in a day).
What worked for me was removing the Realktek HD audio drivers and updating the chipset to the latest version. Even though not knowing which of the 2 fixed my issue I believe it had to be some conflict between the audio drivers and the gpu as I noticed some other folks with the same gpu having this issue.

Thanks once again for all the input :) I'm glad I won't have to spend anything.