Using Old Components

BYOPC

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I'm considering building my own PC (1st time) and could use some advice. Are there components you don't want to re-use from old computers (I was thinking of using an old case for example). I'm new at this, any help would be most appreciated.

drums101

Distinguished
is the old case you have a standard case or a proprietary case from dell or hp or something? if its a standard case you could use it again but if its proprietary it will be more pain than its worth to use....as far as using other parts there really isnt much you could use again unless its a modern pc from no more than 2 or 3 years ago....anything older I would just start from scratch with all new components.

In general if the part is compatable with the new system you can reuse it. Cases almost always are, you need to check what board form factors it supports(atx, micro atx) , but may not provide adequate cooling. Memory/CPUs/boards depend on compatability. The PSU must provide enough power for new parts. I wouldn't use a harddrive over 5 years old for anything important. And old DVD/harddrives that are IDE won't work on most modern boards.

Post what you have then we can tell you.