Sign in with
Your question

Critique my build + recommend PSU

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2012 7:08:32 AM

After much searching, and reading so many reviews that everything started to blur together, and some help from people on these forums; I've finally come up with a build for my new gaming / media center computer. If y'all could critique the build, and make sure everything will fit together, I would appreciate it. Also, I haven't included a Power Supply in the build, since I'm not sure exactly what size I should get.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k
MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77
GPU: EVGA GTX670 Superclocked w/4GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
SSD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
Storage:Two Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical: ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred Black

I also added a USB Bluetooth adapter.

I will be using this computer mostly to play games, but will also be hooking up to my HD TV to play videos and other content. I'm looking to buy this week most likely.

I know some of the parts might be a little overkill just to play games, but, I wanted to future proof myself, I could buy now, but who knows when the wife will let me buy again :)  Plus, I'm still way below my budget.

Thanks' for all y'alls help!
August 26, 2012 10:58:23 AM

A high quality 450W PSU with two PCIe connectors is more than enough for a build with a single GTX 670.
Rosewill Capstone-450M ($64 @ Newegg / Promo code ends 29th)
If you are going to SLI in the future, or want that option, then a high quality 650W PSU with four PCIe connectors is more than enough for GTX 670 SLI.
Rosewill Capstone-750M ($88 @ Newegg / Promo code ends 29th)

Watch out for the issue described in the link below with certain WD Green drives (including the one you have selected):
http://www.storagereview.com/how_stop_excessive_load_cy...

I'd personally choose this SSD before almost any others due to good performance and noted reliability, however the Crucial M4 also shares these characteristics, so you might as well flip a coin.
Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB MZ-7PC256D/AM ($210 @ Newegg)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-driv...
Anandtech bench comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=532

This review of the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Superclocked+ w/Backplate shows that the only instances where 4GB is sometimes advantageous compared to 2GB is when gaming at very high resolutions:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/evga-...
So i'd say if you can get a cheaper GTX 670 then that is what I would recommend.

I'm not a fan of the Hyper 212 Evo (NA version) because it has a rather high maximum fan speed of 2000RPM, with a substantial budget I'd get something better.
m
l
August 27, 2012 2:45:16 AM

Thanks for the advice, that PSU does look nice, so I'm adding the 650W, while I'm not planning on doing SLI right now, it is worth the extra $24 to leave that option open to me.

I didn't know about that problem with the WD drives. I mainly picked those since I've had good experience with WD in the past and it has a good warranty. I do see that it is possible to fix the problem with a simple command line program though. However, do you have a recommendation for another good storage drive?

As for the Video Card, I read the review, and I see your point. I probably won't be running in those resolutions. Been awhile since I bought a card, and in those days it was always More RAM is better.... But in this case, I don't know if I'll use it. Do you have a recommendation for another good GTX 670 card?

Cooler, I have no experience with after market coolers at all, I've never overclocked before. But since from what I see the i7-3770k makes it really easy, so figured I would give it a try, which means I figured I needed something better then stock. I would like something on the quieter end of things if possible, and most importantly, easy to install, and will fit. I assume I should get some thermal paste, is arctic silver still the best?

Thanks again for all y'alls help.
m
l
August 27, 2012 3:24:15 PM

Yes I think that buying one PSU that leaves options open is a good decision, rather than buying one now and then buying another if need be.

I'd choose between these two I think:
Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB HD204UI 5400RPM ($120 @ Newegg)
As it is a drive with a long track record.

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 7200RPM ($100 @ NCIX US / $110 @ Newegg)
The 3TB version of this drive was positively reviewed @ SPCR.

This card has a good factory overclock, good cooler and a low price considering these advantages:
Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD ($390 @ NCIX US / $400 @ Newegg)

A price equivalent to the Hyper 212 Evo which should be quieter:
Logisys MC4002IW ($32 + $4 shipping @ Newegg)
500-1500RPM fan. Otherwise known as Deep Cool Ice Wind, if you want to look for reviews.

Scythe Mugen 3 SCMG-3000 ($50 @ Newegg)
300-1600RPM fan. Has the potential to interfere with tall heatspreaders on RAM, so if you decide on this one I'd play it safe by getting low profile RAM, such as G.Skill Ares or Crucial Ballistix Sport.

The best of the best would one of the below:
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B ($67 @ Newegg)
With two fans added.

Thermalright Silver Arrow if you can find it.

Noctua NH-D14 ($84 @ Amazon / $85 @ NCIX US / Newegg)
m
l
!