Pin Calc to Start Menu on Remote Computers

I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60 remote
computers, is there some way of doing this?

Some script maybe?

There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a workaround
from our Scripting Guy

Hey, Scripting Guy!:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60
>remote
> computers, is there some way of doing this?
>
> Some script maybe?

Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using csript
or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch file
type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a workaround
> from our Scripting Guy
>
> Hey, Scripting Guy!:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60
> >remote
> > computers, is there some way of doing this?
> >
> > Some script maybe?

The script should run fine on remote PCs. How about a logon script?

--

> Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using
> csript
> or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch
> file
> type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a
>> workaround
>> from our Scripting Guy
>>
>> Hey, Scripting Guy!:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60
>> >remote
>> > computers, is there some way of doing this?
>> >
>> > Some script maybe?

Yeah we could do it that way, but I though it would be just as easy to run a
one off script that looped through and ran my pin_calc.vbs script on each pc
in a list.

Just not sure how to do this??

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The script should run fine on remote PCs. How about a logon script?
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using
> > csript
> > or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch
> > file
> > type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a
> >> workaround
> >> from our Scripting Guy
> >>
> >> Hey, Scripting Guy!:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> >> http://www.winhelponline.com
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>
> >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
> >>

> >> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Should be possible using WMI. Try this question in WMI groups.

Microsoft Public Newsgroups:
http://aumha.org/nntp.php

--

> Yeah we could do it that way, but I though it would be just as easy to run
> one off script that looped through and ran my pin_calc.vbs script on each
> pc
> in a list.
>
> Just not sure how to do this??
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> The script should run fine on remote PCs. How about a logon script?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using
>> > csript
>> > or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch
>> > file
>> > type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's

I don't have outlook express so is there somewhere in the online newsgroups I
can find the WMI section?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi&lang=en&cr=US
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting&lang=en&cr=US

--

>I don't have outlook express so is there somewhere in the online newsgroups
> can find the WMI section?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Should be possible using WMI. Try this question in WMI groups.
>>
>> Microsoft Public Newsgroups:
>> http://aumha.org/nntp.php
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yeah we could do it that way, but I though it would be just as easy to
>> > run
>> > one off script that looped through and ran my pin_calc.vbs script on
>> > each
>> > pc
>> > in a list.
>> >
>> > Just not sure how to do this??

Thanks for the info David.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message

Windows Script Host

WshRemote Object
See Also
WshController Object

Language
a.. JScript

b.. VBScript

c.. Show All

Provides access to the remote script process.

Remarks
The WshRemote object allows you to remotely administer computer systems on a
computer network. It represents an instance of a WSH script, i.e., a script
file with one of the following extensions: .wsh, .wsf, .js, .vbs, .jse,
..vbe, and so on. An instance of a running script is a process. You can run
the process either on the local machine or on a remote machine. If you do
not provide a network path, it will run locally. When a WSHRemote object is
created (by using the CreateScript() method), the script is copied to the
target computer system. Once there, the script does not begin executing
immediately; it begins executing only when the WSHRemote method Execute is
invoked. Through the WshRemote object interface, your script can manipulate
other programs or scripts. Additionally, external applications can also
manipulate remote scripts. The WshRemote object works asynchronously over
DCOM.

Example
The following example demonstrates how the WshRemote object is used to start
a remote script.

[VBScript]
Dim Controller, RemoteScript
Set Controller = WScript.CreateObject("WSHController")
Set RemoteScript = Controller.CreateScript("test.js", "remoteserver")
RemoteScript.Execute

Do While RemoteScript.Status <> 2
WScript.Sleep 100
Loop[JScript]
var Controller = WScript.CreateObject("WSHController");
var RemoteScript = Controller.CreateScript("test.js", "remoteserver");
RemoteScript.Execute();

while (RemoteScript.Status != 2) {
WScript.Sleep(100);
}Properties
Status Property | Error Property

Methods
Execute Method | Terminate Method

Events
Start Event | End Event | Error Event

See Also
WshController Object

© 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build: Topic Version 5.6.9309.1546

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi&lang=en&cr=US
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting&lang=en&cr=US
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I don't have outlook express so is there somewhere in the online
>>newsgroups
>> can find the WMI section?
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Should be possible using WMI. Try this question in WMI groups.
>>>
>>> Microsoft Public Newsgroups:
>>> http://aumha.org/nntp.php
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>
>>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>>

>>> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I don't have outlook express

How'd that happen? Surely you have *something* that can handle