Pin Calc to Start Menu on Remote Computers

I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60 remote
computers, is there some way of doing this?

Some script maybe?
9 answers Last reply
More about calc start menu remote computers

    There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a workaround
    from our Scripting Guy

    Hey, Scripting Guy!:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60
    >remote
    > computers, is there some way of doing this?
    >
    > Some script maybe?

    Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using csript
    or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch file
    type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a workaround
    > from our Scripting Guy
    >
    > Hey, Scripting Guy!:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60
    > >remote
    > > computers, is there some way of doing this?
    > >
    > > Some script maybe?

    The script should run fine on remote PCs. How about a logon script?

    --

    > Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using
    > csript
    > or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch
    > file
    > type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a
    >> workaround
    >> from our Scripting Guy
    >>
    >> Hey, Scripting Guy!:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I need to be able to Pin the Calculator to the start menu on around 60
    >> >remote
    >> > computers, is there some way of doing this?
    >> >
    >> > Some script maybe?

    Yeah we could do it that way, but I though it would be just as easy to run a
    one off script that looped through and ran my pin_calc.vbs script on each pc
    in a list.

    Just not sure how to do this??

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The script should run fine on remote PCs. How about a logon script?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using
    > > csript
    > > or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch
    > > file
    > > type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There is no Programmatic acess to the Pinned list. But here is a
    > >> workaround
    > >> from our Scripting Guy
    > >>
    > >> Hey, Scripting Guy!:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > >> Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    > >>

    > >> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Should be possible using WMI. Try this question in WMI groups.

    Microsoft Public Newsgroups:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.php

    --

    > Yeah we could do it that way, but I though it would be just as easy to run
    > one off script that looped through and ran my pin_calc.vbs script on each
    > pc
    > in a list.
    >
    > Just not sure how to do this??
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The script should run fine on remote PCs. How about a logon script?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Yeah I've seen this and I can run this from the command prompt using
    >> > csript
    >> > or wscript on my local machine, but I need some way of running a batch
    >> > file
    >> > type thing where I can run it on a number of remote pc's

    I don't have outlook express so is there somewhere in the online newsgroups I
    can find the WMI section?

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi&lang=en&cr=US
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting&lang=en&cr=US

    --

    >I don't have outlook express so is there somewhere in the online newsgroups
    > can find the WMI section?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Should be possible using WMI. Try this question in WMI groups.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Public Newsgroups:
    >> http://aumha.org/nntp.php
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Yeah we could do it that way, but I though it would be just as easy to
    >> > run
    >> > one off script that looped through and ran my pin_calc.vbs script on
    >> > each
    >> > pc
    >> > in a list.
    >> >
    >> > Just not sure how to do this??

    Thanks for the info David.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message

    Windows Script Host

    WshRemote Object
    See Also
    WshController Object

    Language
    a.. JScript

    b.. VBScript

    c.. Show All

    Provides access to the remote script process.

    Remarks
    The WshRemote object allows you to remotely administer computer systems on a
    computer network. It represents an instance of a WSH script, i.e., a script
    file with one of the following extensions: .wsh, .wsf, .js, .vbs, .jse,
    ..vbe, and so on. An instance of a running script is a process. You can run
    the process either on the local machine or on a remote machine. If you do
    not provide a network path, it will run locally. When a WSHRemote object is
    created (by using the CreateScript() method), the script is copied to the
    target computer system. Once there, the script does not begin executing
    immediately; it begins executing only when the WSHRemote method Execute is
    invoked. Through the WshRemote object interface, your script can manipulate
    other programs or scripts. Additionally, external applications can also
    manipulate remote scripts. The WshRemote object works asynchronously over
    DCOM.

    Example
    The following example demonstrates how the WshRemote object is used to start
    a remote script.

    [VBScript]
    Dim Controller, RemoteScript
    Set Controller = WScript.CreateObject("WSHController")
    Set RemoteScript = Controller.CreateScript("test.js", "remoteserver")
    RemoteScript.Execute

    Do While RemoteScript.Status <> 2
    WScript.Sleep 100
    Loop[JScript]
    var Controller = WScript.CreateObject("WSHController");
    var RemoteScript = Controller.CreateScript("test.js", "remoteserver");
    RemoteScript.Execute();

    while (RemoteScript.Status != 2) {
    WScript.Sleep(100);
    }Properties
    Status Property | Error Property

    Methods
    Execute Method | Terminate Method

    Events
    Start Event | End Event | Error Event

    See Also
    WshController Object

    © 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Build: Topic Version 5.6.9309.1546

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.wmi&lang=en&cr=US
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting&lang=en&cr=US
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I don't have outlook express so is there somewhere in the online
    >>newsgroups
    >> can find the WMI section?
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Should be possible using WMI. Try this question in WMI groups.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Public Newsgroups:
    >>> http://aumha.org/nntp.php
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "MartinaL" <MartinaL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >I don't have outlook express

    How'd that happen? Surely you have *something* that can handle

Configuration Start Menu Customization Computers Windows XP