Stock CPU temps at 45C

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
I installed my phenom ii 965 be and I've had it on for a few minutes and it is idling at 45C. Is that bad? Should I work on cable management? Should I OC fan speed? Thanks!
edit: it was on for like 15 minutes.

popatim

Titan
thats a bit on the warm side but the stock cooler sucks anyways. Stress the cpu with something like primie95 or intel burn in or Occt and monitor your temp. Your looking to see how hot it gets. If you hit 60, stop testing and turn off CoonQuiet in the bios and restest. Its been know to overvolt the 965 and cause the high temps.

dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
What thermal paste did you use? The stock stuff is quite bad, if you did not use a better paste then I would clean off the old paste and apply something like Arctic silver 5. The paste alone can sometimes drop temps by 5 degrees.

Cable management should not be enough to cause that much of a heating issue that soon, what is your case fan situation like? You should have at least one intake on the front of the case and at least one output on the back. Also some cases have fans with adjustable speeds such as my antec 300. Perhaps you can speed up the case fans if necessary. Also, what is the ambient in the room?

Like the poster above said that is awful hot for having it not do anything, I would personally not run prime95 on it to monitor temps when you know it is already running hot.

If those options fail, you can always get a budget cooler for the CPU. I personally use the hyper 212+ on my 955 BE OC to 3.8 and I almost never get to 45 celsius.

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I read somewhere that some CPU pastes can take a while to break in, giving better performance, I'm not really sure if that is true or not, but I would run prime95 for a bit to make sure it's not in danger of overheating under stress. Alternatively, you may want to check and make sure that the fan setup in your case is set up for optimal airflow.

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

so where in the bios would turning of coolnquiet be? im using the msi clickbios by the way.
edit: i havent installed windows yet

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

i also have an antec 300. should i turn up the fan speed to high?

MC_K7

Distinguished
I think that you need to wait 100 hours or something for the thermal paste to settle. You could loose a few degrees until then.

I used to have a Phenom-II 940 and I was idling at 30C, but yours is faster (extra 400 Mhz) thus probably hotter, oh and I was using an aftermarket cooler too. This could easily explain the difference, especially if you're using a stock cooler.

dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

You can, they get noticeably louder though. It helps cool it down in high ambient rooms. Although if you are getting a 45 Celsius reading without having windows installed, meaning that your CPU isnt under hardly any load, then you do need to either get another cooler or change out your paste.