GTX 680 Ambient Occlusion Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It isn't a hardware issue...not on your 3rd 680. My guess:

1) The games you are playing aren't designed for ambient occlusion
2) You are more sensitive to the shadows than most people. I turned it off. I also turn off Bloom because I don't like that effect.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Ambient Occlusion is an option on the Advanced Tab of the nVidia Control Panel. Just turn it off. I noticed it too...it was terrible in SWTOR and I'm usually not sensitive to these things. I turned it off--no more problems.

If you can, I recommend turning it off in the game specific settings. It's a great image quality enhancer when it works properly. Skyrim is a good example.

Skyrim-AO-Comparison.gif

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide?sf2686171=1/#19

lomboy13

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I have tried turning it off in the game settings then forcing it, and vice versa. I have messed around with the driver settings and nothing seems to get AO to work. This happens in ALL my games that have AO. Does anyone have the same issue? I need help! This is so frustrating! I get those stupid flickering shadows in all my games... It's like the card doesn't know what to do with ambient occlusion.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I would be stunned to find out this is any kind of hardware issue: card or motherboard. I'm still not clear on whether you have actually turned AO off and you're still seeing it or you've tried different ways to turn in on and still getting bad results.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
It isn't a hardware issue...not on your 3rd 680. My guess:

1) The games you are playing aren't designed for ambient occlusion
2) You are more sensitive to the shadows than most people. I turned it off. I also turn off Bloom because I don't like that effect.

Solution

lomboy13

Honorable
May 13, 2012
OK, I'm at a crossroad right now. If any of you could possibly record a video with ambient occlusion ENABLED and repeat the motions I did while walking out of Whiterun's front gate in Skyrim and look at that scaffolding. I just really want to know if this is normal. If it is, I will die a happy man!

lomboy13

Honorable
May 13, 2012
OK I just googled it and I think it may have been the pain meds I am on because it seems every video has the same effects as my "issue".

I'm really sorry guys, I don't know why I thought this was a problem. Happens to be perfectly normal. I don't know what got into me haha. Thanks SOOO much everyone.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Well...that's a new one for the list of possible solutions. From now on:

"My graphics is showing artifacts"

"Have you checked your pain meds?"

Or

"Will this power supply be enough for my graphics card?"

"It depends on how much pain medicine you are taking"

Status
Not open for further replies.