Piledriver of 1100T for video editing computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJO32

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I am bulding a computer for a friend but before I do I have a few questions. First let me state that the main purpose of this computer is for video editing, Photo editing and audio compression. The two main processors that he he looking at is the old Phenom II 1100T and the new Piledriver 8XXX series. Which do you think would be better? I personally told him I would go for the 1100T and overclock it. So once again here are the questions

1) If I got the Phenom II 1100 T which would be better that or the Piledriver 8XXX?

2) If he got the Phenom II 1100T and overclocked it which would be better?

3) With something like a Hyper 212 how high can the 1100T be overclocked.

Solution
I agree with your choice on the I7. The thing I'm not sure about is the 650Ti. I would think you would need more powerful video card than that. I was always under the impression that video editing needed a good powerful video card for fast editing and rendering speeds.

1100 is darn near impossible to find at a decent price since production of the thubans ceased. So Piledriver is definitely the best choice.

The 8320 is definitely a good call if your overclocking. If your not overclocking, the 8350 is the better choice. It has a higher stock clock speed.

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

I 2nd this. my 8350 has great performance while working in Photoshop and Sony Vegas.

CJO32

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Ok so I was talking to him tonight and he now threw the I7 3770K into the mix. After talking to him I told him that f money doesn't matter the I7 is the best choice. The next question he had was what video card to get. For video editing wold something like a 7870 or GTX 670 be good alright?

I agree with your choice on the I7. The thing I'm not sure about is the 650Ti. I would think you would need more powerful video card than that. I was always under the impression that video editing needed a good powerful video card for fast editing and rendering speeds.

Solution
O than yea I agee. IMO the 650/650Ti is kind of like the Bulldozer of video cards in that it's underwhelming and unimpressive. It is to weak for serious gaming and video editing/rendering and it is overkill for everyday use. It doesn't really fit into any category.

What is it with you and your intel obsession?

The 8350 performs about the same in these types of tasks as the I7 3770 AND costs more than $100 less. Its the better choice for the OP.

If he isn't gaming, the 8350 is the clear winner. Its competitive with the 3770 in non-gaming apps and is much, less expensive. And non-gaming workloads are the only ones you have mentioned so far.

Now, if your friend is also a hardcore gamer, then the 3770 is worth considering. If not, don't bother.

Again he has made it clear that money does not matter so there is no point in getting the Piledriver. Your argument is to get the Piledriver because it's cheaper but it doesn't matter as he said money does not matter. Given that he might as well get the I7. I really don't understand how that is so hard to understand.

imasauce

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Are you always so righteous? The fact of the matter is that AMD CPU's scale extremely well in work-related applications and it's only getting better for them. Being able to invest that $130 into another component most certainly does matter. People are merely giving their opinions on the subject, just because you feel one is superior to the other doesn't mean that others shouldn't give input or don't have a right to do so.

Get off your high horse. We've established that the i7 is superior, but that doesn't mean that people should simply glance over the FX-38xx series because, "money doesn't matter." Let people present the information and then let the buyer chose.

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Ya'll seem to have gotten a little heated, but as for a graphics card, I think that CS3 and Vegas support Cuda core acceleration, which is only in Nvidia cards, so think about those.

Pff the whole thing just went compleatly over your head. Let's try this one more time. MONEY IS NO OBJECT. He can obviously afford the best hardware since he said money is no object. Since there pretty much is no budget he can get the better, faster I7. Once again I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. Why should he settle for the lesser performing CPU when he can afford the better I7 and has no budget.

You just contridicted yourself. You said the I7 is superior and in that case why should he settle for the Piledriver when he has no budget. Great argument there. :pfff:

CJO32

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
First let me say he has decided on the I7 as the CPU he is going to get. I see RDS's point and I agree that since my friend has said money really is no object why not get the better I7. So that ends that he does not want to get AMD. Thanks to Dj and RDS you were both very helpful. This is the overall build we are going to do for him.

CD drive- Asus CD/DVD drive

Case we are unsure of but we might go with the CM Silencio

CPU- I7 3770

Motherboard- ASUS P8H77-V LE

video card- EVGA GTX 660Ti or 670

Power Supply-Seasonic SS-560KM

RAM- G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB

Hard Drive- WD Cavier Black 1TB

Windows 7 64 bit OEM

Edit- Also A hyper 212 Evo for aftermarket CPU cooler.

For a silent case i recommend the fractal design Define R4.
If he wants to overclock the cpu, he must get the i7-3770 K and a Z77 mobo.
The 660 ti has better value, for his needs will do, see the toms hardware review.
A Caviar blue is good enough for hdd, i wouldn't spend so much on a hdd, and rather get a ssd with at least 90GB.

He didn't say money doesn't matter. There is a big difference between money not mattering and being open to buying the 3770. He was non-specific about the end users money situation. The "If money doesn't matter" comment he attributed to himself.

If money really doesn't matter, then he should be getting the Intel Core i7-3930K. That will outperform the 8350 in his intended tasks. The 3770 is a marginal improvement.

Because the I7 is only better if your a gamer. Otherwise the 8350 performs identically for $100+ less.

However, if money is really no object, the cpu to get is the 3930k. Its a couple hundred dollars more, but it will actually show a significant performance improvement over either the 8350 or the 3770. That is, if money is really no object.

Status
Not open for further replies.