Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of using my 1080p 42 inch tv as a monitor.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2012 4:34:52 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering if using my tv as the monitor for my gaming homebuild. It's a 42inch 1080p screen. The rig I'm building is as follows

I5 3570k (running at 4.3-4.5ghz)
GTX 670
Asrock z77 extreme4

Will this setup be ok for gaming on a big screen or should I only use it as a temporary monitor and save up for a 3d monitor?
July 7, 2012 4:47:20 PM

i would be the same as using it on any smaller monitor, it is still considered the same resolution. the only issue with using a high resolution on a tv that big is it will be hard to see lettering on the screen if left at default, i use 720P for my desktop, and will sometimes switch sames to 1080 if the hud or words are not too small in game.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2012 5:11:34 PM

Should be no problems, just...
Check the TV will connect to your chosen graphics card. Most have HDMI connectors, but t's a wonderful world and you never know ;) 
If the TV is HDCP compliant, drop a Blu-ray drive into the system rather than a DVD, the extra cost is fairly small these days and it'll give you the godness of hi-def movies.
Remember to sit a reasonabe distance away.
Screen size is not what matters, but resolution, a 1920x1080 display takes the same amount of work from the computer to drive, whether it's 19 or 42 inches in size.
Related resources
July 7, 2012 5:19:55 PM

Cool. Thanks for the quick response. I'm now thinking of having the hdmi output into my tv and the normal setup with a smaller monitor as well.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 7, 2012 5:29:33 PM

The 670 can handle multiple monitors, quite a few out ther are using dual or triple monitor setups so if you have any problems yoiu know where to come.
!