Sign in with
Your question

Crashing problem possible heat issue.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2012 5:10:45 PM

Hello,
For some reason lately my computer has been randomly crashing and I have no idea why. I don't want to sound like an idiot because it could be caused by a large number of reasons but I would think it's a heat related issue, because it only happens when I'm gaming. But even at peak my processor (AMD Phenom 9750 quad at 2.4ghz) is at 47-48C and my Gpu (6Evga GTX 460 768mg) is between 55 and 60C both of which, from everything that I've read, seem to be safe temperatures. I've got 6gigs of ddr2 800mh Ram, a 600 watt power supply, and a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H mother board. I've had this computer and set up for almost two years now, and it's only started happening sort of recently (past 2-3 months). Any blatant problems anyone can see? Thanks in advance.
a b Î Nvidia
July 7, 2012 5:19:12 PM

Overheating sounds unlikely, those are good temperatures.
So is it only certain games or all of 'em?
Have you installed any hardware or software recently? (And yes, updating drivers counts ;)  ).
Six Gb sounds a little odd, how is it arranged?
And finally...Exactly which powersupply is it? All PSUs' degrade over time and cheap ones usually underperform from new, so it could be that.
July 14, 2012 4:48:20 PM

Yeah I didnt think so, but since it started happening when it started getting hotter out it was just my first assumption, I guess it's just a coincidence. Yeah all the higher end games, but it's happened after just leaving my computer on for a couple days too while doing something random like just surfing the internet. There are four dim slots on my mobo 0-2 have 2gig sticks in them.
And my powersupply is the basic thermal take 600watt one I got it over two years ago, I couldn't find it again on Tiger which is where I got it. But it's a pretty basic one so it's entirely likely that that's my problem.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
July 14, 2012 6:27:14 PM

By peak, I take it you mean load? Just asking...
Otherwise, first rules apply.
Check the BIOS settings and undo any overclocking.
Remove and reseat the memory, video card and any add-in cards.
Remove and refit all the cables.
The above may or may not work, but it'll remove the most common hardware problems-poor connections or connections that have become poor over time.
It MIGHT be the PSU, older TT supplies were not the best but the only way to find out is to replace it and I'd try other avenues first before spending money ;) 
July 21, 2012 12:27:48 AM

Sounds good. I know this is an incredibly ambiguous problem and there could be any countless number of reasons causing it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any completely obvious problems I was missing. thanks so much for your time.
July 21, 2012 2:33:23 AM

I agree with coozie7
If you really want to know you have everything inline.

Strap on a static braclet and move away from the carpet.
Be sure to clear your CMOS, either by unpluging the PC wait 60 seconds and move the cmos jumper to reset/clear OR you can unplug the PC and pull the battery on the board for 60 seconds.

Carefully start pulling apart your rig. Observe all your connections as you do.
When complete. Clean your parts. Usually just CLEAN forced air. Dont use alchole or acetones.

Carefully put your rig back together. Verify connections and use the shortest ones possible from the PSU. Dont use different ram memory sizes in different dimms. Make sure they are all the same series as well. (example) PC 2700, 3200
(you mentioned DDR2)
PUT YOUR BATTERY BACK IN or Remember to put the CMOS jumper back to normal.
Make sure your PCI&PCI-E cards are secured in place.
If you are using multi hard drives. Make sure they are replaced back in same manor your pulled them from. (example) Sata0, Sata1 or IDE 0, IDE 1. and so on.

Be sure to have nice air ways for air flow. since you are worried about heat.
Clean those Heat Syncs Use new Thermal Paste. DONT GIPP on it. Be clean though.

This is overkill in a way. but in my world it is not to me. I like to be thorough.
I know alot of this might sound Odvious. And i mean no Offense .

When you boot your system. I recommend using Core Temp from CNET.com to keep track of your CPU temp and ram usage. I also recommend using MSI afterburner to keep track of your GPU.

Do share your outcome. :) 

If none of this works. Like Coozie7 said. Replace the Power supply . Name Brand
!