To upgrade or wait?

cavatio

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
ahhhh.... so im going straight to the point, to upgrade or not? Right now i have a Phenom II x4 840 overclocked to 3.6 (stock 3.2) the cpu is barely passable for some intensive games like bf3 and far cry 3, so i have some money left over to buy a x6 1100t (cant get FX-8350 because my mobo only supports AM3). Should i buy it now or wait 6 months and buy a new motherboard and some sort of high end intel chip?

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hmm, for that jump I would wait for the new AMD series and pick up another motherboard to go with it. I can't help you with Intel, for I don't know too much about them.

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I think you should overclock your cpu more (or depending on what type of games you play? Is it CPU or GPU intensive?) and if its getting too hot, perhaps get a new heatsink for it as well. I wouldn't buy a new motherboard because it can be a pain in the a** to find something that would be compatible with hardware that might be out of date. If you buy a new motherboard, you might have to replace EVERYTHING including the Memory, CPU, etc.

edit: Overclock now and then wait until you're able to afford more if you still aren't satisfied with the OC. I recommend Intel btw :)

cavatio

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
i have cooler master v8 on it and if i go higher than 3.6 it becomes unstable. maybie ill save up for a month and buy a mobo and cpu... my girlfriend can get new shoes a later month... . (dont tell her i typed that)

It's not her you have to worry about. :non:

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

wait - you don't like my ways or you're agreeing to them? XD

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

It has nothing to do with your ways, your just are not doing my ways correctly. You chose the best answer to someone who did not seem like he knew much.

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Ohh, okay XDD I mean I normally do it your way but like you said if the person doesn't know much then I give that way :p

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Many people had issues before with PSUs making the games laggy by not supplying enough power to things like the graphics card. Thermaltake is one of the companies known for that. I wouldn't think you wont see a different with a upgrade but it still will be going slow and killing your PC's insides. A lot of people have PSUs from brands such as Rosewill, Thermaltake, LiteOn and many others but those things are just evil boxes of shame overvolting your computer to it's death. So it's not just not enough power but supplying incorrect voltages to the motherboard and parts you wouldn't notice which can cause slowness and once again kill your PC. It can take many days to many years for those things to blow. I had a XION 500w PSU which completely blow up when I installed a 6870. It did not make a big bang or anything just poped which 500w was enough for my system but they lie about the true wattage and I was very lucky it did not take anything else with it. It can destroy everything from your hard drive to your motherboard, and of course the PSU itself.