Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Im trying to build my first computer and need some advice on hardware

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2012 9:18:14 AM

:hello:  hello im new here my name is jade and i wanted to thanks for your time and help in advance

i have bin trying hard to figure out what is the best and cheapest way to go about building a PC able to handle games like GW2 and other new games

i have put together a parts list from lots of guides and forums but feel i should get some help before buying the wrong thing or paying way to much for something i really don't need to be able to get a good gaming experience with good graphics and no lag and hears the hard part all for less then 1000$ total

what i have is a windows 7 operating system a decent gaming mouse and a monitor i also have a old key board to so i can hold off on buying anything besides the hardware for my tower computer and im assuming the graphics card will be the most expensive i cant seem to find one for under 300$ sadly but like i said i know nothing and that's why im here asking for advice

ok here is my makeshift build that is a little over my budget and im not sure if everything will work together but is a good idea of the type of system im looking for and im wondering what people are thinking of these brands and of someone can suggest a cheeper part or better site to buy the same part on

feel free to criticize or even provide a build i can follow(that would be nice seeing im no good at this)

Case
HAF 932:

RAM
CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB)

PSU
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W:
or

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W:

GPU
GeForce GTX 670:( whatever brand is best for my low budget the ones i have listed here seem very pricey but GPU is the key for good gaming or so i hear just wit i had more money or the cards were in my price range i feel like a kid in a candy shop) ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB

or

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB

or

Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2 GB :

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T:
Mobo(mother-bored) very unsure here
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+(i hear this is good value but how good is it on performance?)

or for a bit more

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF AM3+ DDR3 1800 - 990FX:
and this is a expensive option but i hear ASUS is good but is it worth getting this one over the cheaper ASUS above?

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Republic of Gamers Series Motherboard(i like the name at the very least)
well there it is pleas let me know if it will work and if there is anything i can do to make it cost less but still work well assuming this setup would work at all

also am i missing anything in this build or is there a better way to go about getting a cheep PC

any help will... well help keep in mind that i have very little money and 6 cats to feed that's why i cant spend my arm and my leg im saving my leg for the cats :p  i love gaming and need to be sure ill be able to upgrade when needed

any attempt to help will be much appreciated

and finally thank you for reading and to anyone who takes a stab at helping me build my first PC!

Regards
Jade

P.S. i have little to no clue what im dong and have bin looking at guides,videos and online stores for quite a few hours i have put a lot of time into reading and compairing but still fell like i want/need the help of people who have the resources and knowledge needed to create a computer far better then its price tag says it should be :)  i hope i did not make my post too long im a little tired at the moment and decided this would be the stopping point for today well for this sleep period anyway(2 am over here in Cali :sleep:  i need a break)

i would love to learn about how to know about hardware's value also good ways to find parts for cheep and most of all ways i can learn about system maintenance like when to upgrade and how to avoid buying things i dont need or things that could fry my system if i was not careful how i implemented them

to end it off let me say that im clueless to what make's a good computer good besides the obvious more money = better build i now that but what i want to know is what i can do with less money

i hear that this is a good time to invest in building a PC :D  this is good news for my wallet indeed! :lol:  now if only i knew where to find the good deals and what they looked like i would be ready to roll
August 26, 2012 11:07:13 AM

yes i will and sorry about writing so much in the first place thanks for helping me get a better post going

Approximate Purchase Date:A.S.A.P

Budget Range: (e.g.: 700-1000) After Rebates and after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming surfing the web watching videos and typing for collage work

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: i have no parts

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: where ever is cheepest and trusted

Parts Preferences: i wish i had a clue and thats one of the many reasons im here asking advice

Overclocking: i own a clock already :lol:  even have a digital one(blue led) on a serious note i have no clue what clocking is and its almost 4am so ill google it tomorrow :D 

SLI or Crossfire: also not sure but these are or mean but id like to so i will google these as well

Your Monitor Resolution: im not sure its old but ill be getting a new one after i regain some cash lost from putting every spare penny into a decent gaming build or at least i hope it will be decent with the money i have to work with

Additional Comments: i have 6 mouths to feed(cats) and they come before gaming so i got to watch how crazy i get with my build but would like to have something highly up-gradable and able to run the current top of the line games at decent settings

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: my main reason is for bew games like Guild wars 2

my other reasons are that first off i like computers alot and i like building things in general as well as having an interest in creating my own computer ever since my brother tried around 15+ years ago(and since i found out what a scam buying a premade computer can be) and secondly because computers are always evolving and i would like to be able to work on and understand my system like the back of my hand what better way to do that then to build it from scratch

thanks again for you time i hope i can get done building before everyone gets too far ahead in GW2 the game comes out in two days but if i had a system i would be playing along with all the other pre-order's but i would rather take my time to get the build right then rush into something without thinking it through first and gathering up the needed info/prices

almost 4:20 here and im off to bed good night everyone >.< or good day depending on your time zone
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 3:02:32 PM

Here's a good value for money build if you want to try overclocking

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $844.87
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-26 11:02 EDT-0400)
August 27, 2012 12:38:40 AM

i posted below in a better format :p 
m
l
August 27, 2012 12:40:14 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Here's a good value for money build if you want to try overclocking

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $844.87
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-26 11:02 EDT-0400)

the above build looks good but i was wondering about a few different things a few examples of these are 1.if i should trust buying from so many stores

2.if putting an extra 160$ on anything would make a big difference i have some ideas of (what im assuming are) good deals on things like case's,Mobo and video card there are a few examples below pleas feel free to let me know if im going about this the wrong way and thanks for helping me understand the world of computer hardware

also im not to sure that its good to buy everything at one time after seeing how prices fluctuate so fast and was wondering if it would be better to buy my parts as they become available for cheep?

i learned about overclocking but am not sure ill be able to do it safely so i was wondering how up-gradable this build would be when i get some more money to dish out on PC parts

and last id like to know about the two HDD and why there is two im not sure the advantage of a SSD in regards to gaming and was wondering what a 128GB SSD will do for my gaming rig

but most of all id like to thank you for helping me out with this and i hope i can improve this build for the best gaming experience possible for my buck and still have it be easy to upgrade when cash becomes available

for instance is the Motherboard below any better then the one suggested above and is it compatible with the intel CPU?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Mobo

and as far as case the goes it looks great but the one below is 70$ off will it work with this build and is it worth paying 40$ to upgrade?

Antec DF-35

ASUS vs EVGA or the video card in the build above i need your opinion pleas

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (like the look of these spec's but is it a reliable card?)

Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (this ones clocked a bit higher is that good also im not sure if ASUS is better then EVGA what do you think?)
Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card (this ones cheep but im sure there's a reason for the price)

thanks again!

Regards
jade
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 8:13:34 AM

You have a lot of questions don't you :lol: 

JadeKush said:
the above build looks good but i was wondering about a few different things a few examples of these are 1.if i should trust buying from so many stores

Why not... If you don't want to, click price breakdown by merchant and you will see which store is the cheapest to buy all.
JadeKush said:
2.if putting an extra 160$ on anything would make a big difference i have some ideas of (what im assuming are) good deals on things like case's,Mobo and video card there are a few examples below pleas feel free to let me know if im going about this the wrong way and thanks for helping me understand the world of computer hardware

I'm pretty happy with the build as is, there's everything you'd expect from a modern system. A more expensive case is nice but obviously doesn't contribute to performance. I have a Fractal Design Define XL that's over $100.
JadeKush said:
also im not to sure that its good to buy everything at one time after seeing how prices fluctuate so fast and was wondering if it would be better to buy my parts as they become available for cheep?

In my opinion it's best to buy all at once.
JadeKush said:
i learned about overclocking but am not sure ill be able to do it safely so i was wondering how up-gradable this build would be when i get some more money to dish out on PC parts

Well, you can always change the GPU... :lol: 
JadeKush said:
and last id like to know about the two HDD and why there is two im not sure the advantage of a SSD in regards to gaming and was wondering what a 128GB SSD will do for my gaming rig

I wouldn't recommend a modern system without a SSD. You won't be going back once you try one.
JadeKush said:
but most of all id like to thank you for helping me out with this and i hope i can improve this build for the best gaming experience possible for my buck and still have it be easy to upgrade when cash becomes available

Sure mate, I'm not sure though what you're looking to upgrade.
JadeKush said:
for instance is the Motherboard below any better then the one suggested above and is it compatible with the intel CPU?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Mobo

It's incompatible.
JadeKush said:
and as far as case the goes it looks great but the one below is 70$ off will it work with this build and is it worth paying 40$ to upgrade?

Antec DF-35

If you like it.
JadeKush said:
ASUS vs EVGA or the video card in the build above i need your opinion pleas

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (like the look of these spec's but is it a reliable card?)

Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (this ones clocked a bit higher is that good also im not sure if ASUS is better then EVGA what do you think?)
Asus Radeon HD 7770 2GB Video Card (this ones cheep but im sure there's a reason for the price)

thanks again!

Regards
jade

The 660 Ti and the 7870 are both great. The 7770 is a lot less powerful.
m
l
September 9, 2012 7:07:02 PM

Best answer selected by JadeKush.
m
l
September 9, 2012 7:09:15 PM

thank you for your time and impute i have learned alot and am now waiting for part's!

^_^ i will put up a pick of the PC when i have it working!

^.^ Regards
jade
m
l
!