Sign in with
Your question

Fx-4170 lags

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2013 8:53:41 PM

Hi All

Just a quick one, I have one of the above CPU's installed on my machine, but what i find is there are moments (IE when closing a program or opening my outlook) when you will hear the CPU fan speed up and then everything lags for a few seconds. Okay its a few seconds but its annoying with a CPU of its power lagging on basic tasks. I did try a couple of m/soft "fixes" that helped a little but its still doing it. Does anyone else have this issue or a way to fix it ?

Many Thanks

More about : 4170 lags

a c 135 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 8:54:27 PM

whats ur full system so i can give u a better answer.

January 9, 2013 8:57:00 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
4GB DDR 3 Ram
G/BYTE 970A-DS3 board
erm 600 or 650w psu

Anything else you need matey ?
Related resources
a c 135 à CPUs
January 9, 2013 9:09:48 PM

yes, what powersupply type, and whats ur heatsink?

January 10, 2013 7:57:57 AM

Hi

the psu is : Ace Black 650W ATX PSU

Heatsink and fan is the one supplied by AMD but by using speedfan its showing that the cpu never really gets past 40c

Also its all in a Abtec DF-35 Dark Fleet Case.

Hope this all helps :) 

Thanks so far guys
a c 135 à CPUs
January 10, 2013 1:26:38 PM

sounds like ur cpu heatsink fan is acting up, does this cause u any system errors or crashes, if not i wouldnt worry too much about it, u can always replace the low quality amd heatsink with an after-market cpu cooler that would probably cool better and make no chopping sound.

January 10, 2013 8:34:08 PM

Well the only thing i have seen is an issue closing outlook 2012, and everytime i go into a folder IE my doc's, my comp etc the green bar takes 5 - 7 seconds to load every time. Its like everytime you open something it needs to search for the folders first, if that makes sense
January 10, 2013 8:42:00 PM

I agree with the CPU fan diagnosis, yet, your Hard Drive speed mostly determines the speed of booting, file browsing, application opening/closing, etc. What Hard Drive are you using?
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2013 8:44:11 PM

Im thinking temperature throttling. Any idea what the temps are during all of this?
a c 135 à CPUs
January 10, 2013 9:52:32 PM

have u defragged ur hard-drive and error checked it? that could help for potential lag.

January 16, 2013 6:34:32 AM

Sorry for the late reply i have been unwell. Yes i have defraged and run an error check and got nothing.

Temp wise the core is at a constant of 40 - 42c most of the time then when it does this lagging it flys up to 55c for 2 - 3 seconds then back to 40

Thanks for your help so far folks
a c 135 à CPUs
January 16, 2013 2:34:00 PM

well that seems healthy, have u defragged, and scandisked ur hd?
January 17, 2013 7:31:35 AM

Yeah i have a program called advance system care 6 the pro version legit baught. That has done a full clean up and defrag. All of the parts in the machine are less then 3months old as well
a c 135 à CPUs
January 17, 2013 2:28:12 PM

have u cleaned ur registry with cccleaner?

January 17, 2013 5:42:39 PM

yeah i did that too :( 
a c 135 à CPUs
January 17, 2013 5:49:43 PM

have u updated ur bios to the latest version?
January 17, 2013 6:12:06 PM

ivorbiggun said:
Hi All

Just a quick one, I have one of the above CPU's installed on my machine, but what i find is there are moments (IE when closing a program or opening my outlook) when you will hear the CPU fan speed up and then everything lags for a few seconds. Okay its a few seconds but its annoying with a CPU of its power lagging on basic tasks. I did try a couple of m/soft "fixes" that helped a little but its still doing it. Does anyone else have this issue or a way to fix it ?

Many Thanks

the reason ur dekstop and opening programs etc lags is because you have an hdd. you can have the best cpu in the world and opening and closing programs will lag still because there laoding is based on a fast harddrive. an SSD harddrive will fix that ussue
January 17, 2013 6:30:03 PM

iceclock said:
have u updated ur bios to the latest version?

diablo34life said:
the reason ur dekstop and opening programs etc lags is because you have an hdd. you can have the best cpu in the world and opening and closing programs will lag still because there laoding is based on a fast harddrive. an SSD harddrive will fix that ussue

So i would need a bank of SSD's to solve this ?

And no i havent done a bios update yet. I shall do that in the morning :) 
January 17, 2013 6:42:06 PM

ivorbiggun said:
So i would need a bank of SSD's to solve this ?

And no i havent done a bios update yet. I shall do that in the morning :) 

what do you mean a bank of ssds to solve this? im saying you need a faster harddrive. you have an hdd right now, you need to buy an ssd type harddrive they are faster for loading programs, booting up windows, etc
January 17, 2013 6:46:30 PM

i have a 1tb hdd at the mo and thats about half full, i cant get an SSD that big as far as i know
a c 135 à CPUs
January 17, 2013 6:51:50 PM

well whats ur budget for an ssd, u want atleast 256b for os and the main games u play, like that ull be lag free, what hes saying is mechanical drives versus ssd is a nobrainer, ssd will balance out any bottleneck u were having with ur mechanical drive.

January 17, 2013 6:52:03 PM

ivorbiggun said:
i have a 1tb hdd at the mo and thats about half full, i cant get an SSD that big as far as i know

ur right there are no 1tb ssds, well there are but they cost about 600 dollars lol.
i still have an hdd i dont care that programs and windows loads slow. once my pc is booted up hoever its satisfactory for me. you could buy an ssd and use that for ur main boot drive and all ur programs and windows etc. and use ur 1 tb just for a storage of ur personal files and video etc. and ull still have ur programs opening up much faster because u installed the windows operating system and programs on the ssd.
a c 135 à CPUs
January 17, 2013 6:56:42 PM

this.

January 23, 2013 12:03:54 PM

Thank you for all your help guys :) 
a c 135 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 12:56:19 PM

cheers
!