Fx-4170 lags

ivorbiggun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi All

Just a quick one, I have one of the above CPU's installed on my machine, but what i find is there are moments (IE when closing a program or opening my outlook) when you will hear the CPU fan speed up and then everything lags for a few seconds. Okay its a few seconds but its annoying with a CPU of its power lagging on basic tasks. I did try a couple of m/soft "fixes" that helped a little but its still doing it. Does anyone else have this issue or a way to fix it ?

Many Thanks

ivorbiggun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hi

the psu is : Ace Black 650W ATX PSU

Heatsink and fan is the one supplied by AMD but by using speedfan its showing that the cpu never really gets past 40c

Also its all in a Abtec DF-35 Dark Fleet Case.

Hope this all helps :)

Thanks so far guys

sounds like ur cpu heatsink fan is acting up, does this cause u any system errors or crashes, if not i wouldnt worry too much about it, u can always replace the low quality amd heatsink with an after-market cpu cooler that would probably cool better and make no chopping sound.

ivorbiggun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Well the only thing i have seen is an issue closing outlook 2012, and everytime i go into a folder IE my doc's, my comp etc the green bar takes 5 - 7 seconds to load every time. Its like everytime you open something it needs to search for the folders first, if that makes sense

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I agree with the CPU fan diagnosis, yet, your Hard Drive speed mostly determines the speed of booting, file browsing, application opening/closing, etc. What Hard Drive are you using?

ivorbiggun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Sorry for the late reply i have been unwell. Yes i have defraged and run an error check and got nothing.

Temp wise the core is at a constant of 40 - 42c most of the time then when it does this lagging it flys up to 55c for 2 - 3 seconds then back to 40

Thanks for your help so far folks

ivorbiggun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Yeah i have a program called advance system care 6 the pro version legit baught. That has done a full clean up and defrag. All of the parts in the machine are less then 3months old as well

diablo34life

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

the reason ur dekstop and opening programs etc lags is because you have an hdd. you can have the best cpu in the world and opening and closing programs will lag still because there laoding is based on a fast harddrive. an SSD harddrive will fix that ussue

ivorbiggun

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

So i would need a bank of SSD's to solve this ?

And no i havent done a bios update yet. I shall do that in the morning :)

diablo34life

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

what do you mean a bank of ssds to solve this? im saying you need a faster harddrive. you have an hdd right now, you need to buy an ssd type harddrive they are faster for loading programs, booting up windows, etc

well whats ur budget for an ssd, u want atleast 256b for os and the main games u play, like that ull be lag free, what hes saying is mechanical drives versus ssd is a nobrainer, ssd will balance out any bottleneck u were having with ur mechanical drive.

diablo34life

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

ur right there are no 1tb ssds, well there are but they cost about 600 dollars lol.
i still have an hdd i dont care that programs and windows loads slow. once my pc is booted up hoever its satisfactory for me. you could buy an ssd and use that for ur main boot drive and all ur programs and windows etc. and use ur 1 tb just for a storage of ur personal files and video etc. and ull still have ur programs opening up much faster because u installed the windows operating system and programs on the ssd.