Update to "BAD" new power supply

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Hello,
I had intended to append this to my post on 22/08/12 in Homebuilt Systems, but I appear to be denied access, so I will post it here.

(Original post concerned a TACENS Radix V 650W power supply that worked for the first day then began randomly shutting down.)

On very careful examination of the solder side of the circuit board with a jewellers eye-glass, I discover dirty flux (flux with carbon bits in it) in between the legs of one of the smaller control chips.
I scraped it out with the point of a dentists pick and scrubbed the whole board with an old toothbrush.

After reassembly, I ran 'Prime95' for four hours to draw as much power as my little system could pull, and had no problems.

Then the video card stopped working, computer still appeared to be working, but no display.
I switched off, removed the card and discovered that two of the gold connectors have lost their tips, (they are 2mm shorter than the others).
I reseated the card, pushing it well in, and it booted up fine, ran for the rest of the day (seven hours).

As I intend to replace the video card (eventually), as part of the current build, its not a great problem.
I don't know if this contributed to the original problem, but it wouldn't have helped.

Runs the following day OK, touch wood (touches top of noggin), it will be all right from now on.

I gave this company a lot of flack earlier, but I still think its deserved, if they soak-tested their equipment properly, this kind of poor soldering would be picked up.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Why are you replacing the video card? Have you tried testing with a quality power supply? Never skimp on the most key component, the power supply.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
As I stated in my earlier post, its all down to finance, I'm a pensioner trying to live on a meager state pension. (Which is why I live in Spain.)

The power supply was the best I could afford and the video card is very old (Nvidia geforce 6600).

My build is a bit by bit process, as and when I can afford a part and consider it a 'good price'.

The PSU has very good specs. for the price.

The main component for my build will be an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MoBo, when I have saved up enough and/or the price comes down some, I estimate around Christmas, if I'm lucky.
It's much more expensive than I can really afford, but IMO the MoBo is the most important and the true 'heart' of any build and will have to last me for many years (if I live that long.)

The processor I would like is an i5, an i7 would be more desirable, but a lot less affordable, that would be 'Sandy', 'Ivy' is totally out of the question.

I'll probably have to settle for one of the Pentium G's to begin with, but on my income, I have to learn patience.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I also do not have a great deal of expendable income. My build is llano based (had so sell my gaming rig) that was around $250 for the hardware. The fact is the one place you never want to skimp on is the power supply. It doesn't have to be a really expensive one, just a quality unit. It is usually a common first time builders mistake.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I'm no first time builder, I've been building systems since the 1970's using discrete TTL chips.

Its been my experience that if you correct the mistakes made by the manufactures of 'cheap' PSU's, they can last for many years.

All the 'hype' surrounding the 80 badged system and upping the price by three or four times, is just a total rip off to me.

Just because some American Bureaucratic outfit charges a manufacturer (a charge that is more than passed on to the consumer), does not make the PSU any better than it was before.

People have been brain washed into believing, that if it's not certified, its no good.

Take a look at 'Hardware Secrets for some supplies that more than meet the 'so called' specs., yet have no certificate.

EDIT:- I'm not having a go at you my friend, I just needed an excuse to get this 'RAVE' out of my system.

It's true the certification doesn't make the PSU any better, but it's also true that (most of) the PSUs that lack any certification are junk.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I think you trust the American industry mantra too much, a great many of the 'cheap' systems are fine and do a fair to good job.
Agreed, there is a certain amount of junk, but that does not make it 'most of'.

I'll repeat: Take a look at 'Hardware Secrets for some supplies that more than meet the 'so called' specs., yet have no certificate.
There are also many on there and other sites that are real good value for money.

The badge system is a good idea in principle, to help people make decision on what to buy, but it still doesn't justify upping the price by 3 or 400%, just because it passed a few tests.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I didn't say great, I said 'value for money', but I guess your right, whats my value is your crap, so I think we should beg to differ.

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
You can find cheap parts on eBay. I built a pretty decent rig for little money. People are always buying top-tier PSU's, then realizing they either bought the wrong wattage, or one that does not fit their case or something else catches their eye. Some only weeks or months old with warranties. Always better to buy from a retailer, but if you can't afford it, it may be best. Just make sure it's a late model.

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

oneeye_72

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I agree, but I buy my parts from TME in Poland, good quality new parts at reasonable prices. I had some bad experiences with eBay, so I don't use them anymore.