Will gtx 670 work with 500w

Hello, I'm kinda a noob to this stuff and was wondering if one of y'all could help me out. I recently bought a gigabyte gtx 670 windforce edition and was wondering if my power supply will be able to support it. At least until I can afford a better one. This is my power supply

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Supply-RS500-PCARD3-US/dp/B001G0WPLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357772996&sr=8-2&keywords=550w+power+supply

Any answers will be appreciated, thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about will work 500w
  1. Easily
  2. Well, Cooler Master is not usually high on the list of PSU brands.

Need to know what the rest of your setup is like in order to advise for sure. Thanks.
  3. 500W is perfectly sufficient (depending on what else you have in your system), but that's a pretty poor quality PSU.
    You'll need to use 4pin molex adaptors as it only has a single PCIe connector.

There's not a lot of harm in giving it a go for a short period, but definitely look at replacing it.
  4. Im not running anything major I've got a 500gb western digital hard drive, and a amd quad core processor at 2.2ghz, if you want a full rundown I can give you it. I'm definitely gonna be lookin for a new power supply in the near future. I think the 4 pin adapters you are speaking of came with the card. I'm guessing I attach the PCIe 6 pin into the card and use 2x4 pins from the PSU to the adapter thingy and plug that 8 pin into the card?
  5. Swagginator said:
    Im not running anything major I've got a 500gb western digital hard drive, and a amd quad core processor at 2.2ghz, if you want a full rundown I can give you it. I'm definitely gonna be lookin for a new power supply in the near future. I think the 4 pin adapters you are speaking of came with the card. I'm guessing I attach the PCIe 6 pin into the card and use 2x4 pins from the PSU to the adapter thingy and plug that 8 pin into the card?

Hi - realhardtechX suggests 500w for a system with a gtx670.
    While the CM psu you have is known to be a poor quality unit,
    it does deliver it's rated output. No need to upgrade right now,
    but you might want to start saving for a psu upgrade down the road.

Tom
  6. Rammy said:
    500W is perfectly sufficient (depending on what else you have in your system), but that's a pretty poor quality PSU.
    You'll need to use 4pin molex adaptors as it only has a single PCIe connector.

There's not a lot of harm in giving it a go for a short period, but definitely look at replacing it.

Do you have any cheap( but ya know gooood) suggestions for a new PSU?
  7. This one is decent especially for the price:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $50 (plus $20 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx Components Product