Dell Inspiron N5110 - Temperatures! HELP!

TheVoX

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello,

I bought a Dell Inspiron N5110 a few months ago. At the time I didn't know all that much about computers but the one I bought looked good enough for my YouTube, Minecraft, School needs.

Im having some troubles, if the laptop is idling the CPU temp is around 51 Degrees Celsius. The GPU temp is around 48C an idle. When I play Minecraft the CPU jumps to 60C and the GPU jumps between 60-65C. I am wondering if these temperatures are safe!! Please Help!

Laptop Specs:
Dell Inspiron N5110
15.6in (1366x768) Screen
Intel i7 2670qm
Nvidia GT 525m 1Gb
8 Gb Ram
500 Gb 5000RPM Hard drive

Thanks!

:na:

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hmm, is it dusty? Look inside the fan duct and the spots on the side and bottom for dust, if it's nice and caked, get a can of compressed air and blow it out. Otherwise you may want to consider re-applying the thermal compound on your gpu and cpu, I think most laptops use a thermal tape instead of the liquid.

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
First off - it is common for lap tops to be exceedingly hot like that if there is dust in the fans, etc. Although that isn't a super safe temperature to be around, I wouldn't be really concerned about it until it starts jumping into the higher 60's Celsius. If you're able to, clean out your lap top and like Foo392 said, apply some more thermal paste. (If you don't know where you could buy some, you could try Fry's or Newegg, etc.) Try not to let your lap top sit on anything that isn't a flat surface. This includes blankets, beds, cloth materials, or anything leathery. Wood surfaces like desks would be perfect. Perhaps you could use a program called "Real Temp" and you might be able to boost your fan speed up with that program. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)

Real-Temp website:
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

edit: May I ask what CPU you're using? It might be a 'hotter' CPU than others and if it is one of those, then it might be safe.