CPU temp 70 even with h60?

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi,

Im using i5 3570k, power supply gs700.gpu : hd 7950.

i was running witcher 2 on maxed out and one of my core reach as high as 70c even though i use the h60 liquid cooler, is it normal?

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello - may I ask when did you start noticing the CPU temperature was too high? About how long after you used h60 liquid cooler? Also, did you apply too much or too little thermal paste? Have you made sure that the heat sink is properly on and not 'kind of' loose? Make sure you have the h60 running at full speed.

depends. the draws of a closed loop like the H60 is that you don't have that weight hanging off your mobo like with an air cooler, and putting it on the case itself. Another is you aren't dissipating heat inside the case but rather at the point in which it is exhausted. It is an upgrade, but it will perform about where a hyper 212 will. keep the H60, its fine.

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
The Ivy Bridge i5's run hot. It's a fact and it just sucks. Wish I would have gone with the Sandy Bridge i5 when they still attached the IHS with solder instead of thermal paste. Your temp is normal but just like every other Ivy Bridge, overclocking wont go very well. I could cook dinner on my i5 even at stock clocks.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

it actually reached 67 c befoer when i play bf3. I had this whole system for about 2 weeks now.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Okay I just installed another fan on the top of the case as well as reversing the one of the existing fan from blowing air out to blowing air in, and now im only getting 64 C max, i think it is because it used to be that air was being blew out from that fan and it took away fresh air that my liquid cooler fan can use. Now I have two fans blowing fresh air in in order for the liquid cooler fan to use, and much better tmp now.

if i can get my hands on the fans that I left at my brother's place and untangle the power supply cable in my case, i might be able to do the same for the gpu to reduce its temperature, but the problem with it is unlikely due to the case since i was having 69 C max for 660 ti but now 82C for 7950, yucks.

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Make sure that you run BF3 on LOW video settings if you have 67C temperatures running. That isn't a safe temperature to be running the game at and can stress out your CPU or GPU. If its your CPU that is running at 67C, open the case and make sure that the Heatsink/Fan is on very tight and securely. If you are still having those high temperatures, make sure you have plenty of thermal paste. If it continues to be too hot, you might want to upgrade the heatsink and fan again.

edit: also - is your case too crowded? is it a small and enclosed case or a mid-tower case with plenty of air-flow.

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Heh - I suppose? I've never heard of a CPU that is 'good at running high temperatures'. Yet again I do have the lanboy case, so temperature isn't ever really a problem for me.

Deathmajesty

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Oh - I'm sorry, did he say he was running at 4.2? Saying that it would be mid 70's @ 4.2Ghz can be acceptable. But he didn't say he was running at 4.2, did he? He's running it at a non-OC'd ratio.. 4.2 is a huge jump from 3.4.. 3.4Ghz should be running at around mid 60's or maybe lower..