Solved

3770K - temp of one core is consistently much higher than others

just installed this CPU. it's sitting under a noctua NH-D14 w/ 3 fans. i applied artic cooling MX-4 TIM according to their instructions - a rice grain-sized dollop in the middle of the CPU. the CPU TIS and bottom of heatsink were thoroughly cleaned w/ 90% alcohol prior to installation.

what's up with core #2 (2nd from right)? it's consistently 8-10 degrees higher than the other cores. why is it trippin'?

this is my first new computer install in about 8 years. my last CPU was an AMD dual-core and the temps didn't vary like this. just wondering if this is normal for these CPUs?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dacvhwtsq726h6m/Screenshot%20%286%29.png
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3770k temp core consistently higher others
  1. Best answer
    That's normal. Unless the app running is multi-threaded, one core will always be doing all the work... or most of the work in poorly threaded apps.
  2. clutchc said:
    That's normal. Unless the app running is multi-threaded, one core will always be doing all the work... or most of the work in poorly threaded apps.

i see. no apps were open at the time though. oh well, as long as that's normal
  3. haversham said:
    i see. no apps were open at the time though. oh well, as long as that's normal

Even at idle, Windows is always doing something in the background. You're fine.
  4. Best answer selected by haversham.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core