Graphics Question

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 18, 2005 4:47:29 PM

I recently upgraded to a 26" LCD Widescreen and I now find that the sky
in WoW is blurry (everthing else is crystal clear). I am running at
1280X768 with a 60hz refresh rate, and everything is set to MAX and NO
"full screen glow effect" enabled. I think this may have also happened
to me when I was running my CRT but I have no idea what was causing it.

Any thoughts?

More about : graphics question

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 18, 2005 6:43:21 PM

The Native resolution is 1280X768, and thats what I run WoW at.
Related resources
August 19, 2005 1:10:30 AM

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded to a 26" LCD Widescreen and I now find that the sky
> in WoW is blurry (everthing else is crystal clear). I am running at
> 1280X768 with a 60hz refresh rate, and everything is set to MAX and NO
> "full screen glow effect" enabled. I think this may have also happened
> to me when I was running my CRT but I have no idea what was causing it.

What's the native resolution on the monitor? A number of 26" LCD's run at
1365x768 - if you run a non-native resolution on an LCD they appear fuzzy.
If there's no WoW resoution matching your monitor's native resolution, you
may need to run it in windowed mode rather than fullscreen to avoid a fuzzy
image.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 1:46:34 AM

In <1124401401.016016.124270@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> "nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> writes:

> The Native resolution is 1280X768, and thats what I run WoW at.

That's a weird resolution. Are you sure you didn't mean 1280x1024
or 1024x768?

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

nvrsbr wrote:
> I recently upgraded to a 26" LCD Widescreen and I now find that the sky
> in WoW is blurry (everthing else is crystal clear). I am running at
> 1280X768 with a 60hz refresh rate, and everything is set to MAX and NO
> "full screen glow effect" enabled. I think this may have also happened
> to me when I was running my CRT but I have no idea what was causing it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Wait till night-fall and only play then ;-D

You might want to mess with screen resolutions if you are playing on a
TV. E.g. set it to 1024x768 and see what happens (blur gone, black
areas, worse blurs but only at the edges).

Could be that the LCD Widescreen has trouble showing all 32 bits colors!

And try the CRT if you still have it! Though the DVI that is present on
your TV might not be present on your TV. (I would use the DVI on the TV
because VGA sounds like trouble to me, though it seems to be working now
to some extend)

And the trouble shooting section in your WoW directory suggests to try
OpenGL vs DirectX. You could always delete the Config.wtf if you messed
it up and forgot to make a backup. OpenGL didn't work for me though, but
I never saw anything unusual in my skies (ATI Radeon 9700, bit slow and
not much memory, but it does the job well)

hi,
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
August 19, 2005 12:25:24 PM

> But WoW itself is crystal clear... its justt he sky that looks blurry
> now (the clouds look fuzzy).

Umm - the clouds look fuzzy on my CRT too. I just put it down to design, ie,
trying to look cloud-like...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 12:59:15 PM

"John Gordon" <gordon@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D e2vjq$3qm$1@reader2.panix.com...
> In <1124401401.016016.124270@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> "nvrsbr"
> <abryant1@shaw.ca> writes:
>
>> The Native resolution is 1280X768, and thats what I run WoW at.
>
> That's a weird resolution. Are you sure you didn't mean 1280x1024
> or 1024x768?

its a wide screen LCD and the res you mention is not a wide screen res

> --
> John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
> gordon@panix.com

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 1:33:15 PM

"nvrsbr" <abryant1@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded to a 26" LCD Widescreen >
<snip>
> Any thoughts?

Bastard! :)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 24, 2005 4:10:06 PM

nvrsbr left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I recently upgraded to a 26" LCD Widescreen and I now find that the sky
> in WoW is blurry (everthing else is crystal clear). I am running at
> 1280X768 with a 60hz refresh rate, and everything is set to MAX and NO
> "full screen glow effect" enabled. I think this may have also happened
> to me when I was running my CRT but I have no idea what was causing it.
>
> Any thoughts?

In addition to the other suggestions you may also want to try disabling
'Full Screen Glow Effect' as this can contribute to a blurring effect
due to the way it diffuses bright areas.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Coalition members on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 60 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 22 Undead Warlock
Wartorn - lvl 21 Tauren Warrior
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage