foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hey there,

I recently upgraded my CPU to an AMD FX-8150. Now I hope I am not going to immediately regret this as after I purchased it I read horror stories of the CPU sitting at awful idle temperatures.

For the time being I am using the stock cooler (I know this isn't recommended but I have spent way too much money this month, so I'll have to wait until my next pay to upgrade it).

I am using a program called Core Temp that was recommended to me by a friend (who has an i-7).

Sitting at idle I'm currently getting temperatures between 20-30 degrees celcius (the average from just me sitting staring at it for a few minutes seems to be 22 or 23)

Is this decent? Obviously I will have to see how much it goes up to on full-load but I haven't got any games installed currently (downloading Battlefield 3 just now).

Also, could you guys recommend me a good cooler for this CPU? (Not really interested in overclocking to be honest)

Thanks for reading, sorry if I rambled a bit

-Adam

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Is that bad?

I have a Zalman Z11 Plus case with 5 fans going at the moment. Could that be lowering the temperature somewhat?

Also, I live in Scotland and it is freezing in my house ha, dunno if that has anything to do with it.....

Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning about this kind of stuff...

Foo392

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
looks like a good CPU temp to me, since your house is so cold you may not need an aftermarket cooler, especially if you don't plan on overclocking.

Its good. I built someone a PC using that case recently its not bad at all but when you are looking at idle temps I don't think it will made more than maybe 1C difference (no case would). Anyway idle temps don't mean much its load temps you need to worry about.

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, the theme for this upgrade was pretty much "cheap and cheerful" even though I ended up spending way too much money anyways.

I am quite impressed with the case, the only thing that annoyed me was the fact that the USB 3.0s on the front panel don't have the right header attached so you have to buy a USB 3.0 female to 20-pin adapter (but nothing I have is USB 3.0 so I suppose I'm complaining for the sake of complaining)...

One of the positives about living in Scotland, during the winter months the house is basically one massive CPU cooler haha.

Thanks for the help guys, I know this was sort of a redundant thread of me displaying my complete ignorance, but I appreciate your feedback..

-Adam

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah, kind of an annoyance (would obviously be more annoying for anyone that had hardware that utilised USB 3.0).

I'll probably get around to buying an adapter at some point in the future. I don't have anything that uses USB 3.0 at the moment, if I'm right in saying it's mainly external hard drives/flash disks that use 3.0 due to higher data-transfer?

Just realised actually that my motherboard has a BIOS POST Code/CPU temperature indicator built into it and it's reading a different temp than the Core Temp progam is, sitting at about 27/28 degrees.

Just one last question... Should I be more inclined to believe the temperature that the motherboard is displaying rather than what Core Temp tells me?

Cheers

-Adam

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
(Sorry for posting another reply but I can't edit my original message for some reason).

After reading through my motherboard's manual it says that the CPU temperature displayed on the indicator is in hexadecimal format which after using a converter gives me 39/40c... which is just about room temperature which is what you said it should be sitting at in the first place...

I'm confused as hell haha...

TRENDING THREADS