Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia problem SuSE 7.3

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
January 14, 2002 10:02:05 AM

Hi,

I have a fresh SuSE 7.3 installation, and a Asus V8200 GeForce3 card with Athlon 1.2 GHZ. I have downloaded the Nvidia drivers with Online update, and when I rebooted I could get KDE and X running ok.

But my fps is now very slow, and after awhile gears now won't even run, and exits with 'Segmentation fault'. Something's obviuosly not working ok.

I have also performed these steps in XFree86config:
- Load "glx"
- "nv" to "nvidia"
- Option "NvAgp" "1"

Sax2 will run and configure the card but does not fix anything. The same goes for running 'xfree86config2.

Has anyone installed a Geforce3 card on SuSE 7.3 with success, and could help me out here?

Regards,

Jostein Berntsen

PS: The card was running perfectly in SuSE 7.1 with about 4500 fps in gears. Now the fps is about 20!

<A HREF="mailto:jostber@frisurf.no">jostber@frisurf.no</A>

More about : nvidia problem suse

January 15, 2002 1:05:49 AM

<Off-topic chatter>
Woof...That's a really powerful system for a Linux computer...Do you use it for stuff like POVray or what?

I'm not really sure what your problem is...Did you follow nvidia's instructions OK??

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
January 17, 2002 2:37:09 AM

Download the readme from nvidia, and make sure all the files are where they should be, and that there are no incorrect GL/GLX libraries hanging around. Also make sure that Load DRI and Load GLCore are not in XFree86config.

Try running glinfo and glxinfo, to make sure nvidia drivers/libraries are being used, and that you have got direct rendering.
!