Which is the wisest decision?

Hey all. I'm currently running An i5-2500k with a Intel H67 board along w/ 8GB Corsair Dominator@1333 and a GTX 260. I wasn't planning on overclocking the CPU when I picked this stuff(Mobo, RAM, CPU 2 weeks old) but maybe for the future I'd like to. Didn't realize there is no OCing with H67's.. So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should return the Mobo and RAM, and get a OC compatible board with higher clocked RAM, or stick with the setup and upgrade my GPU. Other thing is my board only has PCI-2.0, is 3.0 worth it/ necessary in near future for a GPU upgrade or would a 2.0 upgrade be ok?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about which wisest decision
  1. mudkey said:
    Hey all. I'm currently running An i5-2500k with a Intel H67 board along w/ 8GB Corsair Dominator@1333 and a GTX 260. I wasn't planning on overclocking the CPU when I picked this stuff(Mobo, RAM, CPU 2 weeks old) but maybe for the future I'd like to. Didn't realize there is no OCing with H67's.. So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should return the Mobo and RAM, and get a OC compatible board with higher clocked RAM, or stick with the setup and upgrade my GPU. Other thing is my board only has PCI-2.0, is 3.0 worth it/ necessary in near future for a GPU upgrade or would a 2.0 upgrade be ok?

Thanks

If you want to OC, get a Z77 or Z68 based board. If you want PCI-E Gen 3 support, you need Z68 Gen3 or any Z77, BUT you will need an Ivy Bridge Core i5 or above CPU to have the PCI-E 3.0 controller, which is built into the CPU.

Gen 3.0 by itself is not worth upgrading your CPU/Board combo, but if you are keen on OC'ing, then I'd suggest a nice and OC friendly board, like the MSI GD65 Z77:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643&Tpk=msi%20z77%20gd65

Or if you are in Canada, that board is cheaper at CanadaComputers.com.

Or any of the ASUS's P8Z77 series.

EDIT: Check with the store you bought it from to see what they charge for returns (restocking fee, usually).
  2. FinneousPJ said:
    Higher clocked RAM is unnecessary no matter what you decide.

That's right. +1.

The Dominator ram in the OP's rig isn't even clocked at 1600 yet.
  3. Higher clocked RAM is unnecessary no matter what you decide.
  4. You should definitely return the motherboard and go for a Z77 board, like this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157296
    It has some impressive reviews, would look great in nearly any system, and it'll keep you futureproofed for a while if you decide to overclock your 2500K.
  5. Thanks for your answers guys, I think I'm going to return the stuff! Thanks again..
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Corsair Dominator RAM Systems