Sign in with
Your question

Which is the wisest decision?

Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2012 5:53:17 PM

Hey all. I'm currently running An i5-2500k with a Intel H67 board along w/ 8GB Corsair Dominator@1333 and a GTX 260. I wasn't planning on overclocking the CPU when I picked this stuff(Mobo, RAM, CPU 2 weeks old) but maybe for the future I'd like to. Didn't realize there is no OCing with H67's.. So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should return the Mobo and RAM, and get a OC compatible board with higher clocked RAM, or stick with the setup and upgrade my GPU. Other thing is my board only has PCI-2.0, is 3.0 worth it/ necessary in near future for a GPU upgrade or would a 2.0 upgrade be ok?

Thanks

More about : wisest decision

a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 7:08:47 PM

mudkey said:
Hey all. I'm currently running An i5-2500k with a Intel H67 board along w/ 8GB Corsair Dominator@1333 and a GTX 260. I wasn't planning on overclocking the CPU when I picked this stuff(Mobo, RAM, CPU 2 weeks old) but maybe for the future I'd like to. Didn't realize there is no OCing with H67's.. So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should return the Mobo and RAM, and get a OC compatible board with higher clocked RAM, or stick with the setup and upgrade my GPU. Other thing is my board only has PCI-2.0, is 3.0 worth it/ necessary in near future for a GPU upgrade or would a 2.0 upgrade be ok?

Thanks

If you want to OC, get a Z77 or Z68 based board. If you want PCI-E Gen 3 support, you need Z68 Gen3 or any Z77, BUT you will need an Ivy Bridge Core i5 or above CPU to have the PCI-E 3.0 controller, which is built into the CPU.

Gen 3.0 by itself is not worth upgrading your CPU/Board combo, but if you are keen on OC'ing, then I'd suggest a nice and OC friendly board, like the MSI GD65 Z77:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Or if you are in Canada, that board is cheaper at CanadaComputers.com.

Or any of the ASUS's P8Z77 series.

EDIT: Check with the store you bought it from to see what they charge for returns (restocking fee, usually).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 7:16:34 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Higher clocked RAM is unnecessary no matter what you decide.

That's right. +1.

The Dominator ram in the OP's rig isn't even clocked at 1600 yet.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 26, 2012 7:16:56 PM

Higher clocked RAM is unnecessary no matter what you decide.
m
l
August 27, 2012 4:41:10 PM

Thanks for your answers guys, I think I'm going to return the stuff! Thanks again..
m
l
!