Add Start Menu Shortcut Manually

If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs) where
can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate adding icons?
23 answers Last reply
More about start menu shortcut manually

    Great, how about adding folder or file?

    "Windcell" wrote:

    > If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs) where
    > can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate adding icons?

    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu
    or
    %homepath%\Start Menu

    and

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    or
    %allusersprofile%\Start Menu
    -----

    Right click the Start button | Explore All Users

    Start | Run | Paste: %homepath%\Start Menu | Click OK

    Start | Run | Paste: %allusersprofile%\Start Menu | Click OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ED6D202E-C66D-4664-B6A3-3D68B8720A8C@microsoft.com,
    Windcell <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Windcell wrote:
    > If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs)
    > where can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate
    > adding icons?

    Automating the creation of ICONS should be done to the actual directories in
    question, not the pretty GUI.

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu

    Environment variables are availble for your use.. In a batch script, the
    above two lines could be put as the lines below and it will work for each
    user...

    C:\Documents and Settings\%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I'm referring to the XP Start Menu just above All Programs on the left hand
    side which allows drag and drop of shortcuts. Your response adds icons to
    Start-->All Programs.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Windcell wrote:
    > > If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs)
    > > where can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate
    > > adding icons?
    >
    > Automating the creation of ICONS should be done to the actual directories in
    > question, not the pretty GUI.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu
    >
    > Environment variables are availble for your use.. In a batch script, the
    > above two lines could be put as the lines below and it will work for each
    > user...
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
    > C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Where?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D25CAF19-8E04-45FB-BAA5-4CCCEE9F93A8@microsoft.com,
    Windcell <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Great, how about adding folder or file?
    >
    > "Windcell" wrote:
    >
    >> If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs)
    >> where can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate
    >> adding icons?

    The top left quadrant is the Pin list, and the bottom quadrant is the MFU
    list.

    There is no programmatic access to the Start Menu Pin list. But here is a
    workaround
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Windcell" <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm referring to the XP Start Menu just above All Programs on the left
    > hand
    > side which allows drag and drop of shortcuts. Your response adds icons to
    > Start-->All Programs.
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> Windcell wrote:
    >> > If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs)
    >> > where can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate
    >> > adding icons?
    >>
    >> Automating the creation of ICONS should be done to the actual directories
    >> in
    >> question, not the pretty GUI.
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu
    >>
    >> Environment variables are availble for your use.. In a batch script, the
    >> above two lines could be put as the lines below and it will work for each
    >> user...
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >> --

    <snip>

    Great, how about adding a folder or file to the Start Menu List (non-Classic
    view)?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The top left quadrant is the Pin list, and the bottom quadrant is the MFU
    > list.
    >
    > There is no programmatic access to the Start Menu Pin list. But here is a
    > workaround
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Windcell" <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm referring to the XP Start Menu just above All Programs on the left
    > > hand
    > > side which allows drag and drop of shortcuts. Your response adds icons to
    > > Start-->All Programs.

    > >> Automating the creation of ICONS should be done to the actual directories
    > >> in
    > >> question, not the pretty GUI.
    > >>
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu
    > >>
    > >> Environment variables are availble for your use.. In a batch script, the
    > >> above two lines could be put as the lines below and it will work for each
    > >> user...
    > >>
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Shenan Stanley
    > >> MS-MVP
    > >> --
    >
    > <snip>

    Sorry, no idea how to Pin a folder (or shortcut to a folder).

    --

    > Great, how about adding a folder or file to the Start Menu List
    > (non-Classic
    > view)?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The top left quadrant is the Pin list, and the bottom quadrant is the MFU
    >> list.
    >>
    >> There is no programmatic access to the Start Menu Pin list. But here is a
    >> workaround
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

    Hi,

    Quite easy actually. Drag and drop the folder on the Start button.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > Sorry, no idea how to Pin a folder (or shortcut to a folder).
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Windcell" <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Great, how about adding a folder or file to the Start Menu List (non-Classic
    >> view)?
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> The top left quadrant is the Pin list, and the bottom quadrant is the MFU
    >>> list.
    >>>
    >>> There is no programmatic access to the Start Menu Pin list. But here is a
    >>> workaround
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi Anando,

    Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this
    process across several systems. The original query states "so that I can
    later automate adding icons". The scripting method does not work for
    folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.

    Thanks!

    --

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Quite easy actually. Drag and drop the folder on the Start button.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, no idea how to Pin a folder (or shortcut to a folder).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "Windcell" <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Great, how about adding a folder or file to the Start Menu List
    >>> (non-Classic
    >>> view)?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)

    --

    > Hi Anando,
    >
    > Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this process across several
    > systems. The original query states "so that I can later automate adding icons". The scripting
    > method does not work for folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OekJb2ngFHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Quite easy actually. Drag and drop the folder on the Start button.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry, no idea how to Pin a folder (or shortcut to a folder).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "Windcell" <Windcell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    No problem :-)

    --

    > Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Anando,
    >>
    >> Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this
    >> process across several systems. The original query states "so that I can
    >> later automate adding icons". The scripting method does not work for
    >> folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't help.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23vsWCzygFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Anando,
    >>
    >> Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this process across several
    >> systems. The original query states "so that I can later automate adding icons". The scripting
    >> method does not work for folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OekJb2ngFHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Quite easy actually. Drag and drop the folder on the Start button.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Anando
    >>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>> http://www.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Folder customizations
    >>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>>
    >>> Protect your PC!
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ditto here David. :-)

    --

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't help.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Anando,
    >>
    >> Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this
    >> process across several
    >> systems. The original query states "so that I can later automate adding
    >> icons". The scripting
    >> method does not work for folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Quite easy actually. Drag and drop the folder on the Start button.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Anando
    >>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>> http://www.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Folder customizations
    >>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>>
    >>> Protect your PC!
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Interesting note here David:

    Add the {a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8} to Folders or
    AllFileSystemObjects contextmenu.

    Press and hold the Shift key and right-click a folder. The "Pin to Start
    Menu" appears :-)

    --

    > Ditto here David. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't
    > help.

    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Anando,
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this
    >>> process across several
    >>> systems. The original query states "so that I can later automate adding
    >>> icons". The scripting
    >>> method does not work for folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I forgot to try shift.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23YebNI5gFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Interesting note here David:
    >
    > Add the {a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8} to Folders or
    > AllFileSystemObjects contextmenu.
    >
    > Press and hold the Shift key and right-click a folder. The "Pin to Start
    > Menu" appears :-)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Ditto here David. :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't
    >> help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Anando
    >>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>> http://www.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Folder customizations
    >>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>>
    >>> Protect your PC!
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Wondering now if there is a possibility of invoking the hidden "Pin to....."
    for folders. This does not work.

    Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows")
    Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("System32")
    objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")
    'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("Open")

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    I forgot to try shift.

    > Interesting note here David:
    >
    > Add the {a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8} to Folders or
    > AllFileSystemObjects contextmenu.
    >
    > Press and hold the Shift key and right-click a folder. The "Pin to Start
    > Menu" appears :-)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Ditto here David. :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't
    >> help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Ahh didnt notice that. Damn !! :o)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Anando
    >>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>> http://www.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Folder customizations
    >>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>>
    >>> Protect your PC!
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit method if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using the verb collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it wscript usually disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't bother I did and it doesn't work.

    Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:OUuIPk5gFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Wondering now if there is a possibility of invoking the hidden "Pin to....."
    > for folders. This does not work.
    >
    > Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    > Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows")
    > Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("System32")
    > objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")
    > 'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("Open")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > I forgot to try shift.

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Interesting note here David:
    >>
    >> Add the {a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8} to Folders or
    >> AllFileSystemObjects contextmenu.
    >>
    >> Press and hold the Shift key and right-click a folder. The "Pin to Start
    >> Menu" appears :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Ditto here David. :-)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>> =================================================
    >>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Nice idea! Will try it.

    --

    Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit method
    if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using the verb
    collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it wscript usually
    disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't bother I did and it
    doesn't work.

    Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).
    > Wondering now if there is a possibility of invoking the hidden "Pin
    > to....."
    > for folders. This does not work.
    >
    > Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    > Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows")
    > Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("System32")
    > objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")
    > 'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("Open")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > I forgot to try shift.

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Interesting note here David:
    >>
    >> Add the {a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8} to Folders or
    >> AllFileSystemObjects contextmenu.
    >>
    >> Press and hold the Shift key and right-click a folder. The "Pin to Start
    >> Menu" appears :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Ditto here David. :-)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> I added the context handler to folders and directories but that didn't
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>> =================================================
    >>> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    The total Count returns 12, but only 6 are displayed.

    --------------
    set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    set objFolder2 = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows\System32")
    set objFolderItem = objFolder2.Self
    set objItemVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
    msgbox objItemVerbs.count

    For i = 0 to objItemVerbs.count -1
    msgbox objItemVerbs.item(i)
    i = i + 1
    Next

    set objItemVerbs = nothing
    set objFolderItem = nothing
    set objFolder2 = nothing
    set objShell = nothing
    ------------------------------

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Nice idea! Will try it.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit method
    > if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using the verb
    > collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it wscript
    > usually disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't bother I
    > did and it doesn't work.
    >
    > Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Wondering now if there is a possibility of invoking the hidden "Pin
    >> to....."
    >> for folders. This does not work.
    >>
    >> Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    >> Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows")
    >> Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("System32")
    >> objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")
    >> 'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("Open")
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> I forgot to try shift.
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Interesting note here David:
    >>>
    >>> Add the {a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8} to Folders or
    >>> AllFileSystemObjects contextmenu.
    >>>
    >>> Press and hold the Shift key and right-click a folder. The "Pin to Start
    >>> Menu" appears :-)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Unnecessary incrementation, my mistake. Anyway the extended "Pin" menu does
    not show.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > The total Count returns 12, but only 6 are displayed.
    >
    > --------------
    > set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    > set objFolder2 = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows\System32")
    > set objFolderItem = objFolder2.Self
    > set objItemVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
    > msgbox objItemVerbs.count
    >
    > For i = 0 to objItemVerbs.count -1
    > msgbox objItemVerbs.item(i)
    > i = i + 1
    > Next
    >
    > set objItemVerbs = nothing
    > set objFolderItem = nothing
    > set objFolder2 = nothing
    > set objShell = nothing
    > ------------------------------
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Nice idea! Will try it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit
    >> method if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using
    >> the verb collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it
    >> wscript usually disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't
    >> bother I did and it doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Wondering now if there is a possibility of invoking the hidden "Pin
    >>> to....."
    >>> for folders. This does not work.
    >>>
    >>> Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    >>> Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows")
    >>> Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("System32")
    >>> objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")
    >>> 'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("Open")
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> I forgot to try shift.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>> =================================================
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I just noticed i=+1 at the end of script

    Yet the msgbox only shows n times, less than the number of items. I note Explore is hidden. I changed to a safer folder than windir (which gives me 1 more item than system32). Now I'll try a doit on verb 1 (the second which I presume is explore) and it crashes.

    set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    set objFolder2 = objShell.Namespace("C:\Documents and Settings\David Candy\Desktop\New Folder")
    set objFolderItem = objFolder2.Self
    set objItemVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
    msgbox objItemVerbs.count

    For i = 0 to objItemVerbs.count -1
    A=objItemVerbs.item(i)
    msgbox A
    msgbox i
    objItemVerbs.item(i),doit
    i = i + 1
    Next

    So 4 is blank (here at least)
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23oTmpIShFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Unnecessary incrementation, my mistake. Anyway the extended "Pin" menu does
    > not show.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> The total Count returns 12, but only 6 are displayed.
    >>
    >> --------------
    >> set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    >> set objFolder2 = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows\System32")
    >> set objFolderItem = objFolder2.Self
    >> set objItemVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
    >> msgbox objItemVerbs.count
    >>
    >> For i = 0 to objItemVerbs.count -1
    >> msgbox objItemVerbs.item(i)
    >> i = i + 1
    >> Next
    >>
    >> set objItemVerbs = nothing
    >> set objFolderItem = nothing
    >> set objFolder2 = nothing
    >> set objShell = nothing
    >> ------------------------------
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Nice idea! Will try it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit
    >>> method if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using
    >>> the verb collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it
    >>> wscript usually disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't
    >>> bother I did and it doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).
    >>> --
    >>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>> =================================================
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    England was 0/24, went to shop and came back and now 3/32.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eOK0EWShFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Nice idea! Will try it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >>> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit
    >>> method if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using
    >>> the verb collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it
    >>> wscript usually disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't
    >>> bother I did and it doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).

Configuration Start Menu Microsoft Customization Windows XP