Best cheapest gaming PC

Hello,
I was able to play WOW trial and the original GW just fine on my laptop. My laptop is a core 2 du0 2.10 GHz, with 105M Geforce graphics. I bought Guild wars 2 recently, and my fps is 7 constantly lol. I have everything on minimum as well. This leads me to assume that the next generation of games will leave my laptop behind. I would like your insight on a couple of options.

I came across this Vidock and conclude that I could buy a decent graphics card of HD6770 for 300. However, the reviews of doing this isn't great. So this leads to my other option of building my own PC.

I live in Ottawa, ON Canada, so if possible could the price be listed in the Canadian dollar. I would like the price to be cheapest as possible (300-500?). I've looked on the forums here and couldn't come across anything.

I can buy the HD 6770 for 139, amd phenon ii x4 for $114. I'm just not sure about the motherboard and other things.

Anyways, thank you for the time.
15 answers Last reply
More about best cheapest gaming
  1. That link is amazing. Thank you. Having taking this from ScrewySqrl I have a few questions:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($65.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.60 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: Antec 400W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.69 @ DirectCanada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ Computer Valley)
    Total: $518.89

-I have an old DVD writer from a P.C back in 2005 or 2006. In this day and age will it still work?
    -For the OS, I don't actually have a disk, except an upgrade disk. Would it be possible to install windows 98, and then install Windows 7? If I can't find it (It may be only good for my LG laptop), I have an XP pro. Would this suffice?
  2. If you had a few more dollars than that build above then a motherboard with a 970 series chip set is a better option

Your older dvd drive might be SATA or it might be IDE [with a 40 wire ribbon cable ] . Modern motherboards seldom have the IDE connector , but if its SATA then sure you can re-use it

If you are just gaming you can cut the RAM to a 2x2 gig kit to save money without affecting performance . If you also edit photos or videos then go with the 8 gig

Installing XP should work if its SP2 or later , but XP doesnt multithread that well , and will only be DX9 . If its a 32 bit copy [ probably] its also not going to use all your RAM .

Another option is Ubuntu Linux
    A couple of days and you will feel at home . 64 bit , free download
    www.ubuntu.com

http://tinyurl.com/8tyfstr

You can reformat and install windows later when you have the money if you wanted
  3. from 2005 its probly IDE and thus wouldn't work. Note the build I give there includes Windows
  4. This may sound unintelligent, but can I still play mmorpgs with ubuntu? I've used it before and I love it. But I'm not sure if GW2 (probably) is compatible with it.
  5. you should be able to play almost anything in ubuntu using WINE

Theres a bit of set up , and a slight performance hit but read the tinyurl link
  6. Thank you all for your help. However, I realized that I should probably save my money in case I need it for emergency purposes. The prices are a bit off, but I can probably get it for 600-700.
  7. What bout a Vidock plus a Radeon HD 6770 graphics card? Would there be complications? What are the common issues that people dislike Vidocks? My common problems is slowness in game (FPS).
  8. never heard of a Vidock.

6770 is a step down from the 7770 I listed, but should handle medium settings
  9. Vidock is an external pci that you put in a graphics card and connect it to your laptop.
  10. External solutions are always slow. The build you posted, change the mobo to an Asus M5A97, the GPU to a 7850 and the PSU to a Corsair CX 600 and you will be good to go for another 2-3yrs.
  11. Is what you suggest significantly cheaper? Would there be room to upgrade in 2-3 years? Or is the motherboard at it's limit?
  12. You could upgrade to Piledriver in a year or two. Then the mobo would probably be at its limit upgrading wise. It is quite cheaper too.
  13. Okay, with the original build, I switched the PSU with the one that ScrewySqrl recommended: Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2 430W ATX Power Supply. I'm not sure what Piledriver is but I'm going to assume it's the CPU.

-Is there anything else from the original build that should be upgraded? Fans? Sound card?
  14. fans cant hurt, sound card unnecessary.. Piledriver is the next AMD CPU, due out between October and December
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Laptops World Of Warcraft Systems