Sign in with
Your question

Computer is breaking, can I get some help?

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2013 4:48:00 AM

I posted a while back about a problem I had with the computer randomly losing connection to the router, refusing to reconnect, taking a ridiculous amount of time to restart, and then blue screening at the end right before restarting. Well after tinkering with it for a long time I thought I had figured it out on my own...until it got worse. About an hour ago it bluescreened at random and then restarted before I could read anything. I am honestly at my wits end, I've scanned for viruses and found nothing. I've done everything I know to do at this point. Could somebody please lend a total newbie some help?

More about : computer breaking

a c 79 à CPUs
January 10, 2013 5:13:56 AM

okay first up, have you done any changes or tweaking through your BIOS? have you tried restoring your BIOS to default values and then observe if you get the erratic behaviour?
Have you tried a fresh installation of windows to see if the problem is with your current installation?
Do you get any software based warnings? like for cpu temps etc?
I am just throwing the stuff that comes to mind but its all worth checking

The most important thing....have you taken a back up of your data because there is a fair chance that you might have a failing hard drive. if there is any clicking sound that you hear coming from your hard drive then that is a sign of a failing drive head.

lastly share your system's specs with us
good luck
-Satyam
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:18:22 AM

I agree with a possible failing hard drive. Also, a failing PSU can do weird things as well.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 5:41:30 AM

I have 2 of these G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBSQ

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52400
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

and finally this to connect to the router ASUS USB-N13 USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter

sorry if this is a bit sloppy, I copied it right from my newegg account.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2013 6:06:37 AM

1st try running on one stick of memory at a time. If fault continues, try Safe Mode with Command Prompt and type chkdsk /f 'enter' (note space after 'k')
This will check out your HDD and fix it if possible. Should the machine run OK afterwards try downloading a HDD checker like Seatools for Windows and test it thoroughly.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
January 10, 2013 6:44:46 AM

notebook memory in desktop? probably a typo....
anyway, back up your data and then follow what dodger has suggested above. Be informed how ever that seatools amy not accurately/timely identify a failing drive.
m
l
January 10, 2013 7:05:23 AM

Thank you all very much! I'll do all this and hopefully by tomorrow all will be well.
m
l
January 10, 2013 7:47:30 AM

run memtest for memory and scandisk for your hdd. if they are fine, reinstall windows.
m
l
January 10, 2013 10:48:11 PM

One thing did just cross my mind, and I feel like this may be a dumb qustion, but I don't have an external device large enough to back up my data. Do I have to back it up to an external device? Is there any alternative or must I go purchase one?
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 3:03:48 AM

you can back it up to either an external device or to another internal drive. in either case do try moving large chunks at once. move data in smaller packets so that reading from the primary hard drive is not taxing. start with the most important data and then try to squeeze in the less important stuff.

you can take back up in different storages, like some files in phone in your camera SD card, pen drives you may have etc.

once you've done this and only after doing this, try to defragment the drive
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2013 6:07:48 AM

lordbralix said:
One thing did just cross my mind, and I feel like this may be a dumb qustion, but I don't have an external device large enough to back up my data. Do I have to back it up to an external device? Is there any alternative or must I go purchase one?

I take it the machine is now running well enough to back up?

You could create another partition on your HDD, I would recommend downloading EaseUs Partition Master, it's free and easy to use. Then shift all your data on to the new partition and that leaves your C drive free to re-install Windows if that is what's required.

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-E...

If, however, it's not running properly there is another way, you would need to run EPM on another PC capable of burning a disk per

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/...

Create your new partition, then you would need to create a bootable flash/SD card to boot your machine using Ubuntu in order to shift your files.
No mean task but achievable if you've plenty time and no cash!

m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 11:14:44 AM

I totally second what dodger's saying EaseUs is a great software. I have safely used it a number of times myself.
m
l
!