Upgrade processor in Asus G46 socket FCPGA988

Status
Not open for further replies.

brode09

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I am anxious to get my hands on the new Asus 14" G46VW laptop. I know I wouldn't be happy with the dual core i5 3210m. I noticed it uses the FCPGA988 removable processor socket. My current laptop (MSI MS16F2) has an i7 2670qm, which also uses the same socket. Is there any chance my current i7 would be compatible with the Asus motherboard/bios/etc..?

I know my processor is previous generation. Maybe it is wishful thinking. :bounce: Thanks in advance!

Solution

I would say "maybe." Desktop and server motherboard BIOSes usually do include support for older chips using the same socket, but not always for laptops as the BIOSes are highly customized and tend not to include things not absolutely needed at the moment the laptop is shipping...

I would say "maybe." Desktop and server motherboard BIOSes usually do include support for older chips using the same socket, but not always for laptops as the BIOSes are highly customized and tend not to include things not absolutely needed at the moment the laptop is shipping. There is no mention of any Sandy Bridge CPUs being supported in the ASUS laptop, so there may be support for Sandy Bridge, but there also may not be.

Solution

brode09

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I bought it ($979USD) at best buy. Although it was a PITA to take apart, the i7 fit right in place of the i5, and it booted up, no issues at all. Haven't done any benchmarks, but it will run fedora in virtualbox in Windows 8 much smoother now.

Status
Not open for further replies.