Your question

AND IT WENT BOOM

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Processors
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 10, 2013 6:37:59 AM

Hi guys, from the title you may understand what happend, yesterday i was on my pc, and i was playing league of legends after a tiring day at college, everything was fine, but out of nowhere, the plug (not in the case) blew up, the system went off, these are my specs:

-Nvidia gts450
-Amd phenom x4 955 black edition
-2x4gb corsair ram
-Asus mb
-Un-named psu (this was stupid)

I know my psu is blown, it's the part in the pc that smells the strongest of burnt, but even in the case, is it just the smell that went all around? How can I check if my gpu,ram,processor,mb are fine? without getting a power supply.

I've removed the cooler for the processor, and it doesnt seem like its fried, no signs of burnt, the paste is perfectly fine, no signs of frying, the ram looks good too, but the only thing that worries me is the fact that the whole pc around smells of burnt, like the cooler for the processor kinda smells of metal/burnt but the processor itself doesnt smell burnt at all ...

I need help guys, please! :( 

More about : boom

a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 6:42:22 AM

You can check the components visually but obviously that's not definitive. Buy a proper PSU and you'll know for sure.
January 10, 2013 6:42:40 AM

I have had 2 power suplies fail on me and both times a replacment booted fine 1st time and no problems. You can only try but you need some power to do some checks. Good luck.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 10, 2013 6:44:52 AM

Oh god, thank you for the quick replies, i hope that it didnt damage anything, would you please reccomend me a good psu from scan.co.uk please? The psu was 450W but is it better to go 500?
January 10, 2013 7:38:53 AM

Its better to stick with a good known brand of PSU, Cheap unbranded one have less circuit protection as may of been said, if you looking for good ones take a look at these.

1. corsair.
2. silver stone.
3. Ocz if on a bit of budget.

On most if these, you will find quiet a few protection features to protect the rest of the system next time a Psu pops with age or use Limiting any damage to other components of the pc.

Have a look here because listing the type of power protection that a good Psu should have.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 7:47:19 AM

I wouldn't trust XFX on power supplies but i'm willing to be proven wrong.

Check for burns and such on your mobo. Have you looked at the fuse in the plug?
January 10, 2013 7:52:38 AM

darth pravus said:

Around the mobo i cant see any signs of burnt or anthing, looks good to me, around the circuit and stuff, it was actually plugged into a power strip
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 7:58:12 AM

darth pravus said:

XFX is tier 1-2 brand. The Core line being the cheapest is tier 2 with "Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1"

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 8:02:13 AM

Then proven wrong I am. Cheer for providing the info.
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 8:10:08 AM

I think all their units are by Seasonic.
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 8:21:18 AM

You mean wattage. The XFX I linked is better than the Corsair but both would work.
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 8:23:36 AM

Did you search for that XFX one?

Novatech are great for deliveries.
January 10, 2013 8:24:45 AM

FinneousPJ said:
You mean wattage. The XFX I linked is better than the Corsair but both would work.

yeah i meant wattage :ouch:  well if its better and its only 5 quid more, id go for it asap thank you! i honestly hope nothing is fried ..
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 8:42:56 AM

Yeah, it's definitely what I'd recommend.
January 10, 2013 9:41:36 AM

XFX, Corsair, seasonic, silverstone, Enermax, antec, all make good psu's.
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 1:12:34 PM

just pick up the xfx. guaranteed quality but if you get a DOA unit, just get a RMA. xfx is pretty nice with their customers
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 1:54:24 PM

XFX, I believe they are made by Seasonic who are a trusted quality manufacturer.
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 2:05:20 PM

it is made by seasonic
January 10, 2013 2:19:42 PM

The XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition Power Supply - 80 PLUS Bronze Certified is clone of a SeaSonic ~520W unit.
- XFX rate it differently and have added more cables to it.

You can review both on www.jonnyguru.com
January 10, 2013 3:38:58 PM

thank you for your answers :)  usually when like the mobo,gpu and ram are damaged by a psu failer will it show physical damage? Im so worried atm
January 10, 2013 7:11:22 PM

aethecrash said:
thank you for your answers :)  usually when like the mobo,gpu and ram are damaged by a psu failer will it show physical damage? Im so worried atm

It can cause damage, but you can never be sure until you try. If it died you needed a upgrade anyway :p .
a c 308 ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 7:59:16 PM

melikepie said:
HE NEED MOURE POWER

popatim is correct, a sys with gts 450 needs only 400w.
January 10, 2013 8:00:40 PM

toyftw said:
popatim is correct, a sys with gts 450 needs only 400w.

it will die in five year den no mure power
January 10, 2013 8:26:38 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Yeah that's a good deal.

tell the OP to make dis the best awsner and may my force be with him
!