Connecting AX850 to Maximus V Formula with two HD7950s

Hi guys, I need your help. I'm using AX850 with Maximus V Formula and I'm unable to connect the additional 4 pin EPS connector on motherboard. I'm using 2 HD7950 cards which take up all 4 PCI-E connectors. So this doesn't leave my any connection on back of my AX850 where I can connect the additional 8 pin EPS connector. Please help.
13 answers Last reply
More about connecting ax850 maximus formula hd7950s
  1. That doesn't make any sense. ALL included cables should be able to be plugged in at the same time...

I also checked a review just there and yes, all included cables fit into the PSU at the same time.
  2. For connecting EPS, AX850 has two cables (one of which I've already connected to CPU EPS). And for connecting my 2 GPUs, it has two cables as well. I am having trouble in connecting cable to additional 4 pin connectore provided on Formula.

See this below picture -

In the green box - the right most two have been used for two PCE-e cables for GPUs. The first 8 pin EPS has already been used on one CPU EPS connector on my Formula. Now I need to connect a 8Pin PSU Mating cable to connect to the additional 4pin connector on my Formula.
  3. The second 8 pin EPS actually has a 10 pin plug that plugs into the 10 pin socket to the left of the green box in your linked picture:

See the 8 pin EPS cable on the left; it has a 10 pin plug.
  4. There I need to plug in the right most cable in the picture. It has two connectors to go into PSU.
  5. Huh... So on further research, I found that you're right. You can either plug in the 2 2x6+2pin PCIe power connectors and one 4+4 EPS connector OR 2 4+4 EPS connectors and one 2x6+2pin PCIe connector...

See this video and skip to around 7:47 and you'll see...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h69gfpDywM

That's a huge design flaw IMO, this is something that they should let you know about more clearly when deciding to buy...
  6. Huh... So on further research, I found that you're right. You can either plug in the 2 2x6+2pin PCIe power connectors and one 4+4 EPS connector OR 2 4+4 EPS connectors and one 2x6+2pin PCIe connector...

See this video and skip to around 7:47 and you'll see...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h69gfpDywM

That's a huge design flaw IMO, this is something that they should let you know about more clearly when deciding to buy...
  7. As a work around this is what I can do -

1. Connect only one PCIe connector for one GPU
    2. For second GPU use Molex-to-PCIe converters which come bundled with the card
    3. Plug and use the 4+4 EPS Conncetor in the freed slot on PSU

But is it advisable to use molex-to-PCIe converter? Are they reliable?
  8. mandarpalshikar said:
    As a work around this is what I can do -

1. Connect only one PCIe connector for one GPU
    2. For second GPU use Molex-to-PCIe converters which come bundled with the card
    3. Plug and use the 4+4 EPS Conncetor in the freed slot on PSU

But is it advisable to use molex-to-PCIe converter? Are they reliable?

There should be no problem with that. I hadn't actually thought of that. They're basically just wires so there's no chance of them "failing" as such...
  9. I raised a tech support query with corsair and here is the pathetic reply from their side

"Mandar, unfortunately the AX850 will not have enough connectors to accomodate two EPS connectors along with a multi-GPU setup. You would have to upgrade to a HX1050 or a AX1200 in order to have the proper connectors for your system. Sorry for the inconvenience. "
  10. You don't need to connect anything to the EATX12V_2 connector unless you're planning on a world record attempt at CPU overclocking using LN2.
  11. Agreed. But Corsair should really mention this (the problem) on their box or on their product specifications.
  12. It's just a cost cutting decision that Corsair made because the majority of their customers don't use a motherboard that requires two CPU power connectors.

You could have purchased the Seasonic X-Series 750W (SS-750KM) instead, on which the Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) is based. That PSU has the missing connector.

13. Teh Ram Guy (Corsair Support) suggested me to use this cable as work around -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198019
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Formula Connection EPS Components Product