Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advice on older build - Looking for bottle necks.

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2012 2:11:12 AM

I've spent a significant amount of time fiddling with and researching this rig. I think I've hit a wall and I am throwing myself at the mercy of the community :D 

Before I shell out the money to build a new rig, I want to make sure I've exhausted this one first. This build is from mid 2008. (The newegg wish list is so old that I can't share it anymore, haha). I am not looking to max out any settings, I just want to squeeze a few more months of gaming from this pc. Note: the game I used for the load testing is still in beta. I have everything set to the lowest possible settings and my FPS is still horrible, especially if there is a lot going on. I think I've covered all of my bases here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note: A couple of months ago I upgraded the CPU cooler. Long story short, my new desk area is about 10 degrees hotter than some of my older places and it was causing some stability issues with the OC.

Questions-
  • Any suggestions?
  • Should I worry that my MOBO doesn't do PCIe 2.0?
  • Am I missing something obvious in terms of bottlenecks?
  • Did I overlook a setting or two somewhere?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build-
    CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz * (OC to 3.6)
    CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus (i added a second 120mm fan)
    Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R Rev 2.1 Bios F4
    RAM:6GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2
    HDD:3x 500gb WD Black 7200rpm
    Video:GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
    PSU:Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temps- (under load)

Under load- (GPU ranges between 30% and 75% here)
    (Windows task mgr)
    (Windows resource mon)

WEI- (note: this won't refresh due to "could not measure video playback performance" just after "tuning windows media decoding")

BIOS Settings-

Misc-
    3d Mark Vantage: (not sure if this is helpful)
  • P6211 3DMarks
  • Graphics Score 6033
  • CPU Score 6815

Gfx card drivers / settings:
  • 304.79 (beta)

CPUZ info:

GPUZ info:

a b B Homebuilt system
    August 27, 2012 3:50:14 AM

PCIe ver 1 will be a slight bottle neck with your PCI 2.0 card, but nothing you can do about that.
    O/Cing the processor may help a little: http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core...
    You could try O/Cing the 8800GTS: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
    But I doubt you'll see much gaming improvement with the card. 1/2 GB with a dated card isn't really enough VRAM to play todays's games at high resoulution. Which begs the question; what rez is your monitor?
    m
    l
    August 27, 2012 12:54:56 PM

Thanks for the response and the links!

I've already pushed the CPU up to 3.6. The best I've been able to do (w/ stock cooling) was 3.75 but it wasn't very stable. I think the board FSB has overheating issues. I thought about bolting a small fan to the FSB heatsink but I think I'll only get marginal gains.

My monitor runs at 1080p native but I have been playing games (where I could) in windowed mode at 1024x768.

m
    l
    Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
    August 27, 2012 2:49:22 PM

My last C2D was a 2.67GHZ E6700. (some years back) It was running at stock speed with a lowly 8800GTS 320MB originally. I was in a similar position as you. But after installing an HD 5770 1GB card, I was able to play any game of that time at 1680x1050 with all/most eye candy turned on. I only present this as an example of what simply upgrading the graphic card will do. Your faster E8400 should be good with a card in the HD 6870/GTX 560 range with very little bottleneck in most games. Even dropping down to the HD 6850/GTX 460 would do OK with 1920x1080.
    August 28, 2012 12:46:36 AM

Good stuff. I'll probably go w/ upgrading gfx card and trying to push a little more out of my cpu w/ this new cooler. Thanks for the feedback!

m
    l
    August 28, 2012 12:48:33 AM

Best answer selected by bshoop117.
    m
    l
    !