Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I uninstall a test client...?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 2:44:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

As in topic.
Does anyone know how to uninstall a test client for the new incomming
patch 1.7?
Is it enough if i delete "TEST" folder from my WOW folder?
Thanks a lot,
Bart

More about : uninstall test client

August 19, 2005 2:44:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

is there no uninstall icon in System->software? if not, just delete the
folder...
August 19, 2005 2:44:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

then i would just delete the folder. i think the wow test client dont
use more files then those in the test folder + those that the normal
client uses...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 2:51:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Max wrote:
> is there no uninstall icon in System->software? if not, just delete the
> folder...
>
It is not in add/remove software...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 8:29:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Bartek Boski wrote:
> As in topic.
> Does anyone know how to uninstall a test client for the new incomming
> patch 1.7?
> Is it enough if i delete "TEST" folder from my WOW folder?

NO! Never delete folders to uninstall programs. Rename them (move
command in MS-DOS), but don't delete them. I have had to fix pls
computers who did this or thought they would just 'move' programs to
another drive and I usually ended up doing a fresh reinstall for them..

Maybe this worked in the MS-DOS era (1980-~1993), but with Windows you
can really mess things up.

If you are going to delete the directory, also try to find a system
restore point you could use to make sure everything keeps working.

If you deleted it (also from the trash bin) and your system (or WoW)
stopped responding, just install the test client again and this time
keep it.

Couldn't you just remove the test icon from your desktop instead? That
is a harmless thing to do.

Hope I am not too late,
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 8:39:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On 2005-08-19 12:44:47 +0200, Bartek Boski <bartlomiej.boski@virgin.net> said:

> As in topic.
> Does anyone know how to uninstall a test client for the new incomming
> patch 1.7?
> Is it enough if i delete "TEST" folder from my WOW folder?
> Thanks a lot,
> Bart

Quote from US Test Realm forum:

Greetings,

Those of you that tested a previous patch using the Split Patch
technology must delete the WoWTest directory from the root WoW
directory then download the new patch provided on the Character Copy
web page. This patch will split your client into having both the retail
version and the test realm version installed at the same time, with two
separate executables.

-Hortus
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU
Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 20 - Bloodscalp EU
Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
Millah - Human Mage lvl 11 - Burning Blade EU
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 19, 2005 8:44:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On 2005-08-19 16:29:00 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> said:

> NO! Never delete folders to uninstall programs. Rename them (move
> command in MS-DOS), but don't delete them. I have had to fix pls
> computers who did this or thought they would just 'move' programs to
> another drive and I usually ended up doing a fresh reinstall for them..
>
> Maybe this worked in the MS-DOS era (1980-~1993), but with Windows you
> can really mess things up.
>
> If you are going to delete the directory, also try to find a system
> restore point you could use to make sure everything keeps working.
>
> If you deleted it (also from the trash bin) and your system (or WoW)
> stopped responding, just install the test client again and this time
> keep it.
>
> Couldn't you just remove the test icon from your desktop instead? That
> is a harmless thing to do.
>
> Hope I am not too late,
> Thomas

WoW is very clean in this regard. They dont go infecting your Documents
folder or System folder with user settings and shared resources.
Everything is contained in the WoW directory. The only thing is that
the installer will add a Remove Application point for removing WoW.

The Tester works as a patcher however, all it does is copying the
*entire* WoW folder to a subfolder (WoWTest) and then patches this copy
with the latest patch. As the current Release patch is different from
the last Test patch (due to intermediate patches), you have do delete
this directory, and rerun the 'splitter' so he can test-patch a copy of
the current release install.

I wouldn't consult deleting as uninstalling option either, but in this
case there is little need to worry...

Hope all this makes sense :) 
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU
Chasey - Undead Priest lvl 20 - Bloodscalp EU
Gwar - Orcish Warrior lvl 10 - Bloodscalp EU
Millah - Human Mage lvl 11 - Burning Blade EU
!